ER4 Custom Ear Mold
Aug 30, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoeblade
Got an email back from westone.
The Style#34 is about $144 for the vinyl material and $156 for the silicone material. This does not include shipping, or a visit to the Audiologist for impressions. Here is a link from our website to assist in finding a local Audiologist.
http://www.westone.com/cgi-local/muslookup.pl

Ill have to think about this carefully, its like buying a brand new headphone or 100 comply eartips.

$156? wow. You might try going through an audiologist who has an established relationship with Westone. Westone would likely give the audiologist the molds at cost to allow them to make a profit. Given that it wouldn't take more than 20 minutes of their time, I'm sure you could arrange something for less than $150 for impressions and molds combined. I'll make a couple of calls myself and see what comes up.

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $150 for a replacement pair if something happened to mine.

Aug 30, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #17 of 54
i just got off the phone with an audiologist, who frankly seemed a little shocked i knew model numbers, etc. she wanted to know what i was going to us the ety + molds for--music natch--and she was like hmm. "you mean for your mp3s?" "yup." "you're not listening too loud, are you?" "no, that's the point of iem's, you don't have to turn it up" "ok".
biggrin.gif
i should hear back soon about the price.

okay, she tells me it will be like $160 total.

jb., you mentioned you got "non-sound bore". the audiologist did not know what that was, can you describe in more detail what that means?

Aug 30, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #18 of 54
Got a reply from the earplug store (The first picture I posted)
"Westone still makes the #34 mold but they do not make the #34 mold for the ER-4P like you see in the picture.

Also, Westone does not do our earphone molds and the mold you would get if you ordered them from us would look considerably different in that the earphone would not go as far into the mold and the filters are not detached and sticking out the end of the mold."

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #19 of 54
jb.
another question, it looks like the ety filters in your custome molds are at the tip of the molds, not the tips of the ety drivers. is that correct? can they be slid forward and back, changing the sound?

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #20 of 54
I tried my Etys without filters once, it didn't change the sound much. It may have been every so slightly brighter, but not much.

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #21 of 54
Redshifter:

The sound-bore is a modification that allows the Ety's, filter intact, to be directly inserted into the molds. Sound is transferred to the eardrum through the "bore" an empty, cone shaper tunnel that leads from the tip of the Ety (top, or point of the cone) to the end of the mold closest to the eardrum when inserted (the bottom or base of the cone). The person taking the order at Westone will ask if the buyer would like the sound-bore model or the non sound-bore model. Again, DO NOT get the sound bore.

Also, yes, the filters fit in at the tip of the molds and not at the tip of the Ety as they normally would. I have listened to the Ety w/ & w/o filters and do not like the sound with the filters removed. When placed into the mold, the tip of the Ety is placed into a plastic tube that is separate from the mold itself. The tube runs to the end of the mold (the side closest to the eardrum when inserted) and is cut flush with the tip where the filter is inserted.

Shoeblade:

Your post is scaring me- I spent so much time trying to find a mold for my Ety's that I just assumed they would be available forever. I have some impression material around here somewhere. When I get a bit of extra cash (couple weeks probably) it I'll get a set off to Westone and have another pair made. I'll be sure to report back once they arrive.

Aug 31, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
Redshifter:

The sound-bore is a modification that allows the Ety's, filter intact, to be directly inserted into the molds. Sound is transferred to the eardrum through the "bore" an empty, cone shaper tunnel that leads from the tip of the Ety (top, or point of the cone) to the end of the mold closest to the eardrum when inserted (the bottom or base of the cone). The person taking the order at Westone will ask if the buyer would like the sound-bore model or the non sound-bore model. Again, DO NOT get the sound bore.

Also, yes, the filters fit in at the tip of the molds and not at the tip of the Ety as they normally would. I have listened to the Ety w/ & w/o filters and do not like the sound with the filters removed. When placed into the mold, the tip of the Ety is placed into a plastic tube that is separate from the mold itself. The tube runs to the end of the mold (the side closest to the eardrum when inserted) and is cut flush with the tip where the filter is inserted.

Shoeblade:

Your post is scaring me- I spent so much time trying to find a mold for my Ety's that I just assumed they would be available forever. I have some impression material around here somewhere. When I get a bit of extra cash (couple weeks probably) it I'll get a set off to Westone and have another pair made. I'll be sure to report back once they arrive.

thanks jb.!

Sep 1, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #23 of 54
"Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, I deal with Westone earmolds and the #34
for the ER4 headphones is available. The cost is $80 for one ear or $150
for two. We need an appointment to take impressions of your ears and then
it takes about two weeks to get the mold(s) back from Westone, at which time
we make a second appointment for your final fitting."

Sep 28, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #24 of 54
JB, thanks very much for your postings. They've really helped me decide to do this. What material are yours? Silicone? Vinyl? Do you remember which variation or formula?

Westone's website offers style 34 in "Formula II, Formula II Clear, Rx, Superflex, Neon Colors, Vinyl Marble, W-1, W-1 DisappEar, OtoBlast, OtoBlast DisappEar, Cat Eyes," described and pictured at http://www.westone.com/hhc/hhp_colors.html. Lots of choices.

Oct 26, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #25 of 54
This is GREAT info!!

Anybody has some updates on Westone molds?

Anybody ordered the same as JB.?

Pleeease post if you have
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoeblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is a custom ear mold for the ER4 worth it?
Where is the best place to get one?

I have the Westone No. 34 mold for my Etys. I love it. Sound's the same as the tri-flanges, but comfort's just so far improved it's not even close.

So here's the deal with the custom molds. Mine were $150 out the door. The first set of molds weren't so good; the hard silicon material was too hard, the highs sort of bounced around in the bore, and the tips were too short, so I got no bass. On the subject of bass, while the Etys DO sit out much further than the tri-flanges (the "stroke" in car guy language), the bore is narrower than would be the case with the tri-flanges firing directly into your ear. Hence, the overall volume of air the Etys move should be the same regardless of whether a custom mold or the tri-flanges.

My first set of molds, being too short, effectively increased the volume of air with which the Etys had to work, and as a result, bass was diminished. (Just like putting speakers into a larger room.)

Here's the first set:

ety3.jpg

They were unacceptable. After complaining to the audiologist about the molds, and threatening not to pay for them (if you need a recommendation where NOT to go in the Washington, DC area, lemme know), she did a second mold -- with a bite block this time, and got a much, much deeper impression. I requested the "oto-clear" material for this remake.

Cue forward 2 weeks. They're perfect.

ety1.jpg

Sound is just as good as with the tri-flanges. Isolation's as good if not better. The softer material is the way to go. I've worn them for up to 9 hours at a time (LAX to Tahiti) and they were so comfy I forgot I was wearing them.

ety2.jpg

Yes, they stick out of your ears some while wearing 'em.

DSC04389.jpg

Know what? I don't care. I've heard some of the other IEMs that are of a newer design (Shure E500s, etc), and none sounds as good as my trusty ER4-Ss.
etysmile.gif

With my iRiver H120 with an internal 32 hour battery, EAC-LAME alt preset standard VBR MP3s, and my SuperMacro 3v.6 with OP627 op-amps, I'm in portable audio heaven. It sounds close to my home hifi rig (Anthem pre-amp, ATI amp, JM Lab Micro Utopias, Velodyne HGS-18 sub). For an on-the-go system, I'm convinced it cannot be beat.

Feel free to PM me any questions or just keep posting 'em here. I'll answer what I can.

-Erik

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #29 of 54
I plan on getting some ER-4P, and down the line would want some custom ear pieces like that.

From what I've read, the process looks like I go to an audiologist to fit my ear, they order a mold from Westone, they fit mold for my ear, and I pay them approximately $150 and get them in about two weeks+?

Jan 16, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan on getting some ER-4P, and down the line would want some custom ear pieces like that.

From what I've read, the process looks like I go to an audiologist to fit my ear, they order a mold from Westone, they fit mold for my ear, and I pay them approximately $150 and get them in about two weeks+?

Yup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back