ER-4s, Triple-Flanged Insert Question. Comments please?
Nov 2, 2005 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Taekwon

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased the ER-4Ps. I have a question regarding the proper instertion of the plugs to get the best seal and sound...

I tend to like the Triple Flanges as opposed to the Foam, simply because I feel the foam is abrasive to my ears. However, the Triple-Flanges, depending on how I insert them, create considerable suction that can be painful if I do not move them around a bit.

Some questions:

Should there be suction at all? While the suction isolates even more the the surrounding, I feel that it muffles the sound (as opposed to actively holding the buds so there is no suction).

Also, how far should I be inserting the triple-flanges....I've tried (carefully) and they can go in pretty far without discomfort (past the 3rd flange), but once they are in too far the seal can break.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Nov 2, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 13
Headroom has organized this Etymotic Research ER4 insertion guide (see below) and I encourage you to review it. In regards to the pressure you describe it is most ideal to release this pressure after inserting the eartips. I have found that slightly lowering or tapping the top portion of the eartip will help to equalize the pressure. A quick search of the archives will reveal more on this matter.

http://www.headphone.com/products/fa...tic-earphones/

Best,
iDesign

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDesign /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headroom has organized this Etymotic Research ER4 insertion guide (see below) and I encourage you to review it. In regards to the pressure you describe it is most ideal to release this pressure after inserting the eartips. I have found that slightly lowering or tapping the top portion of the eartip will help to equalize the pressure. A quick search of the archives will reveal more on this matter.

http://www.headphone.com/products/fa...tic-earphones/

Best,
iDesign

^ Does this guide still exist? I get a dead link
frown.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taekwon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently purchased the ER-4Ps. I have a question regarding the proper instertion of the plugs to get the best seal and sound...

I tend to like the Triple Flanges as opposed to the Foam, simply because I feel the foam is abrasive to my ears. However, the Triple-Flanges, depending on how I insert them, create considerable suction that can be painful if I do not move them around a bit.

Some questions:

Should there be suction at all? While the suction isolates even more the the surrounding, I feel that it muffles the sound (as opposed to actively holding the buds so there is no suction).

Also, how far should I be inserting the triple-flanges....I've tried (carefully) and they can go in pretty far without discomfort (past the 3rd flange), but once they are in too far the seal can break.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

1) They should be completely sealed. If you pull on them without moving your jaw, you should feel some suction.

2) they're supposed to go as far as they can.

In the end though, put them the way you think sounds best. Also, how do the foams fit you? Your ear canals might be large so you may have to purchase larger plugs.

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 13
Thanks all!

The foam fits ok, but I need to use the flanges, because I get phone calls and need to take them out every once in a while.

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 13
It's really not necessary to jam them in until you can feel them coming out your nose, but it will take you a while to find just the right spot. Licking them first definitely makes the whole thing easier, and it permits them to float around a bit to find their most comfortable and stable spot, which doesn't have to be all the way in, and depending on your ears can almost be falling out. Getting a good seal isn't dependent at all on having all three flanges buried--just one good seal will do the job. Now that I'm used to mine, I find that pushing them in farther than necessary doesn't make them better--they just *feel* worse. After a while you'll just realize one day that you haven't noticed any problems putting them in recently, and that they're comfortable.

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 13
Make sure the pressure of the air inside your ear (when the IEM's are inserted and create a seal) are equal to the pressure of the air outside of your ear (as much as possible), so that there are no air pressure differences, which cause distortion. You should feel minimal to no suction when tri-flanges are properly inserted. That's why tri-flanges can get frustrating sometimes - especially when the user is just starting out.

EDIT: Also, check out the second link in my sig: "How to make your tri-flanges/bi-flanges/eartips slick"

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #11 of 13
I noticed that vYu223. When there is a big suction sometimes it sounds like my ears are plugged and the sound gets muffled.

I also am starting the think I have small ear (holes anyway), because the smalles flange seems hard to get in sometimes.

When I travel or don't have to take them out, the foam is much easier to get a seal and better sounding to me.

Good idea about the olive oil.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 13
Or the highly-recommended DIY foam eartips. If you go that route, you can use basically any type of earplug you want. Then, you can have an eartip that works best for you - that is, if tri-flanges or other "stock" tips aren't working for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back