ER-4S and SE530 "Ideal" Amp
Jan 21, 2010 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

sarals

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, all! I am new here.

I'm sure my question is buried on this forum somewhere, but frankly I'm tired of digging. So, I thought I'd ask a multi-tiered question.

I have a pair of Etymotic ER-4S (had 'em for YEARS, I use them mainly for monitoring when I do location recordings), but because they are very travel friendly IEMs I also use them with my iPod. I just upgraded my iPod from a 4G 40G to the new 160G Classic (which is miles ahead of the 4G in SQ, and has tons of room for "nothin' but lossless" files to boot). It's headphone out does a decent job with the ER-4S, but not great (I do know how good the Ety's can sound, yes). I have bought a pair of Shure SE530s (UPS promises I get them tomorrow, goodie!) to use with the iPod, relegating the Ety's back to "work" only. But - I do like my Ety's!

So. My questions are these. I know next to nothing about what's out there in "portable" amp land, that's a caveat.

1) Consensus on whether or not I really need a portable amp for my iPod if I'm using the Shure's only?

2) If I do need an amp, consensus on whether there is a NUETRAL portable amp (not the Three Stones things, thanks), affordable (like $200 or less...ummm...XM4, maybe?) that would give the Ety's the oomph they need and not color or overdrive the Shure's? (Yes, I will use a LOD).

Thanks in advance!!

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, all! I am new here.

I'm sure my question is buried on this forum somewhere, but frankly I'm tired of digging. So, I thought I'd ask a multi-tiered question.

I have a pair of Etymotic ER-4S (had 'em for YEARS, I use them mainly for monitoring when I do location recordings), but because they are very travel friendly IEMs I also use them with my iPod. I just upgraded my iPod from a 4G 40G to the new 160G Classic (which is miles ahead of the 4G in SQ, and has tons of room for "nothin' but lossless" files to boot). It's headphone out does a decent job with the ER-4S, but not great (I do know how good the Ety's can sound, yes). I have bought a pair of Shure SE530s (UPS promises I get them tomorrow, goodie!) to use with the iPod, relegating the Ety's back to "work" only. But - I do like my Ety's!

So. My questions are these. I know next to nothing about what's out there in "portable" amp land, that's a caveat.

1) Consensus on whether or not I really need a portable amp for my iPod if I'm using the Shure's only?

2) If I do need an amp, consensus on whether there is a NUETRAL portable amp (not the Three Stones things, thanks), affordable (like $200 or less...ummm...XM4, maybe?) that would give the Ety's the oomph they need and not color or overdrive the Shure's? (Yes, I will use a LOD).

Thanks in advance!!

Based on your budget, I was able to pick up a used RSA Hornet and it is amazing with both my ER-4P (and with the P-S cable) and my SE530s...or the RSA Tomohawk?

The RSA Hornet is great synergy with both!

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 58
Thank you for that! I'll have to keep my eyes open for a Hornet.

I've noticed (as always) a lot of, well, "stuff" on eBay. Some of it looks fairly good, some obviously knock-offs, most all of it unknown to me. I did see a portable amp from Korea, a ImAmp(?) ampilfier, which looked intriguing. Anyone have any experience with it?

Also, any opinions on the PD XM4 with the ER-4S and SE530?

Thanks again!

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 58
Try looking for a used Xin amp. He split long ago, but I've heard good things about them plus the ER4.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigCW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try looking for a used Xin amp. He split long ago, but I've heard good things about them plus the ER4.

There's one for $400 (so far) on eBay right now...yikes!!! They must have quite a reputation....

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 58
Really? I've seen them go on the FS forum for about $100. There's one on there for $250 now.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...ldwide-462738/

It's really really small (about the size of a lighter) but the sound is supposed to be KILLER with legendary synergy with the ER4.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 58
I know you said $200 or less, but I really feel like the iBasso D10 and ER-4S have fantastic synergy, especially with the AD8656 as the opamp and dummy buffers. If you'd be willing to stretch your budget to $300 (or hunt for used), this setup will bring out the ER-4S's dormant bass response like you've never heard it.

As you probably have experienced yourself, one of the commonly asserted "shortcomings" of the ER-4S is that while the bass is articulate, and that all of the notes are hit, the IEM fails to reproduce a tactile impression of it. It's there, but you can't feel it.

The D10, specifically with the opamp I mentioned, has a way of remedying this and bringing an additional punch to the sound, while remaining quite neutral. I think if you already enjoy the ER-4S directly out of the iPod, you'll love this new setup.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 58
I could possibly stretch to $300. The iBasso line looks intriguing, in fact many of the "mini" amps do. However - they are expensive.

I am quite used to what my ER-4S are capable of, I monitor live performances through them fairly often. I've used them with a Zero DAC playing back 96/24 recordings, as well. They can be formidable!

I realize that the analog signal from an iPod is hardly optimum, even at line level, but it is listenable. It would be down right enjoyable fed to something with a little current capability capable of driving the Ety's to the neighborhood of their potential. I am trying to be realistic about what I can get from an iPod, they are good, but they are not pristine. I would not do critical listening with it. With that in mind, the idea of spending a lot of money on a portable amp to boost a less than perfect source signal gives me pause...I just don't see a return! Spending a little money is more like it and seems more sensible. IMHO!

BTW, the Xin on eBay is a SuperMACRO...not Micro. Sorry, my bad! The SuperMicro is "micro", isn't it? Holy Hannah...

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realize that the analog signal from an iPod is hardly optimum, even at line level, but it is listenable. It would be down right enjoyable fed to something with a little current capability capable of driving the Ety's to the neighborhood of their potential. I am trying to be realistic about what I can get from an iPod, they are good, but they are not pristine. I would not do critical listening with it. With that in mind, the idea of spending a lot of money on a portable amp to boost a less than perfect source signal gives me pause...I just don't see a return! Spending a little money is more like it and seems more sensible. IMHO!

I think you'd be surprised at what difference an amp can make even to a "lowly" iPod line out signal. If you give the amp some time, you'll really begin to appreciate the difference.

I, too, had pause when I was making the purchase — it seemed a bit odd to purchase an amp that was more expensive than the earphones themselves. Ultimately, I went with it anyways because of how versatile the D10 is. The ability to tweak the sound signature to your liking is a very underrated feature.

That said, there are a number of other options available in the portable amp sphere, and if you're looking to maximize your bang-for-buck, you may want to look a little lower down the line, say at one of the cheaper iBasso models, or at what is currently getting a lot of buzz as the ultimate bang-for-buck portable amp/DAC: the Nuforce uDAC.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #10 of 58
Of the portable amps I have personal experience with, the D10 is the second best match for the ER4S. Not up to SR71-A performance but, then again, it is less expensive, throws in a good sounding DAC and has all the flexibility one could ask for.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 58
Sorry to jump in on this ... but I am wondering your thoughts on the Pico Slim amp that is soon-to-be released? I too have a pair of Shure 530s and would don't mind spending some bucks on a nice portable amp for my Iphone 3G and 4G ipod.

Skoog

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 58
I wondered about the NuForce amps. There is an offering on Amazon for $100. Anyone care to opine about it?

I also stumbled upon the AMB Mini3 last night. It looks very intriguing! I've done a fair amount of building, and that makes it's cost/performance ratio attractive. Any opinions on it??

I could always build a Chu Moy, too. Then I'd have a (built in) CD player headphone circuit I could carry around! I'm being facetious....

The SE530s come today. Oh, yay!

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 58
Try an iBasso, either the D10 or T3. I like them both with the Ety4s. With the T3, use the full gain switches for a bass boost. The older T4 is good too, esp. with the bass boost. The D10 is probably better sounding but isn't as mobile. If you don't need the DAC or coax/optical output, then the T3 will work.

I tried the NuForce Icon Mobile with the Ety4s and didn't like it at all. The Ety's need some power to get them to sound good.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 58
A line out device to even a modest Cmoy (like JDS labs) will add control and punch to the bass and lessen the treble roll off with the SE530's.

This is what I have experienced. Please note that I tend to listen at high volumes though.

I think the iBasso D4 would be a terrific amp.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 58
I'm seeing lots of suggestions for iBasso gear! I'll take a hard look at them. I do wish there was a way to audition those pieces, though. ANY pieces, actually!

I do have an interest in the PD XM4 and the Mini3, especially considering what I've read about them. I'm still soliciting thoughts from those of you familiar with them!

Thanks again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back