ER-4P vs PFE
Mar 28, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 32
I've said this so many times and I'll say it again - Phonak, use the old Skullcandy FMJ cable (the white one, not the new "aluminum foil" one). If you need a sample, I *may* be able to help (I have an old FMJ). The old FMJ cable is somehow stiff yet flexible, hasn't hardened in over a year of usage, and never tangles.

But keep the same internal wiring, of course.

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree on the cables. The hardening issue is problematic. If they did those two things (make sure the cracking issue was gone) and used a more flexible cable, it would be great. And maybe they could enjoy success like Ety has found.

Hopefully they will be listening to feedback here on Head-Fi.
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #18 of 32
yeah, keep in mind, I'm not bashing the pfe's in any way, sq wise. I loved the sound (just read one of my posts from when I first got them) I just get suspicious when I get 2 defective pairs right on top of each other, especially when it's from a newcomer in the iem market. I loved the pfe's & wish I could have kept them, I just prefer the build (& sq slightly) of the ety's. Of course, like others have said, it's all a matter of preference. If I listened to more hard-edged music, I might prefer the PFE's as they're warmer. It's true that phonak does have good customer service though. They never gave me a problem with either return & reimbursed me for the shipping back to them. Once the QC reports decrease in number & Phonak spends a bit more time in the game, I'll be one of the first ones to get another pair.

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #19 of 32
I wonder if Cpt. Odegard could get a pair and make wooden housings using the originals as some sort of "mold" (though it IS wood we're talking about), then ship them off to someone for a re-cable.

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #20 of 32
Can someone give me a breakdown on the difference betwwen the ER-4P and the ER-4S?
Thanks

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by belac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone give me a breakdown on the difference betwwen the ER-4P and the ER-4S?
Thanks

Both have the same drivers, just different levels of impedance. The er4-p's are designed run on most portables w/o use of a separate amp & generally have an added bass boost. The er4-s at 100 ohms (vs the 27 ohm er4p's) have an overall more accurate sound w/ increased treble & clarity, however an amp would be more necessary w/ them because of the higher impedance. FYI, you can buy the er4-p's and get a separate impedance adapter to convert them to er4s quality.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #22 of 32
So if I'm looking at a RSA P-51 and a set of ER-4S's then I should be in pretty good shape?

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #24 of 32
Reading this, made me understant jleewach comments:
ER4P, Best Earphone! (ER-4P vs ER-4S)

But I'm far from understanding how increasing impedance with a resistor, improves audio quality. Are we assuming the amp has a 100 ohm impedance?

I have several earphones with volume control, lowering the volume is exactly the same as increasing resistence...I dont knew/noticed any increase in audio quality ... only that hiss goes away if the player is bad, but audio sounds the same...

There must be something wrong or missing in my logic...?

EDIT: Sry my post has nothing to do with "ER-4P vs PFE". It's about "ER-4P vs ER-4S"

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #25 of 32
taken from etymotic's website:

As compared to the ER•4S, the ER•4P has 10 dB greater output at high frequencies and 13 dB greater output at low frequencies. The higher sensitivity and enhanced bass of the ER•4P have made it the most popular earphone for most uses.
Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER-4 - Which ER•4 is Right for You

I'm not too educated on the technical aspects of it, but I guess the adapter reduces those gains resulting in more accurate output, while at the same time requiring an amp to drive those frequencies?

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #26 of 32
Thanks, I dont know the ER-4 and have being reading good things about them.

I think if we put a resistor in series with a driver, we get a lower volume, equally decreasing all frequencies amplitude.
When I lower the volume in my earphones, the sound doesnt get less bass and more treble.
I also lack any kind of technical education on this subject to explain it, but would like to know more.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #28 of 32
I had a creative player where the LCD light would create a background hiss in music, but this hiss was very low volume and not amplified by the player.
When I lower the earphone volume, it decreses all frequencies equally, and this very low volume hiss disapears.
If I increase the amp volume, the hiss is not amped and cant be heard.
Somehow In this case the amp increses music volume but not the interference volume.
In this creative player, the LCD light interference/hiss, can be heard with a low impedance earphone, but can't be heard with a higher impedance earphone.

In this example I think I'm saying almoust the same has andrewho83 posted.

But maybe theres more to it and it's not related to the above example...
Maybe the diferences in audio from er-4p and er-4s are related to matching the amp impedance? ....Related to the way the amp behaves with diferent loads?

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by belac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I'm looking at a RSA P-51 and a set of ER-4S's then I should be in pretty good shape?

I am currently using this combo and it works great. I was afraid it would be a little harsh, but just like the SR-71, the P-51 has great treble energy and detail with the ER-4S without the harshness. At least that is how my ears hear it. I have the Minibox-E+ on the way which should be even a better match with the ER-4S.

Getting back to the Phonak vs Ety's debate. Are we comparing them with an unamped ER4p or with and amped ER-4S? I guess it is a little confusing, do some of you guys prefer the Phonak over the ER-4p unamped or over the ER-4S amped?

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the PFEs to be more comfortable than the 4Ps. IMO, they are as "fast" as the 4Ps with better mids and bass.
(depending on choice of filter).

I believe the 4Ps may hold up better over the long haul, as it seems to me as the PFEs are somewhat fragile in their build.

There have been quite a few quality-control issues as well.

Strictly from a SQ point of view, I do believe the PFEs considerably outperform the 4Ps.

Agreed - but I would say the Etys have failures as well. My right channel stopped working on my Etys. I asked around and found out that there are a lot of people over time that were looking for a single channel since their drivers stopped working as well.

I'd say the PFEs are the Etys but will problems solved. Yes, they have QC issues, but they also replace them quickly, so that's the decision that you have to make.

But for performance. I prefer easily the PFEs. The Etys were thin sounding (even with bass boost), harsh on bad recordings, analytical sounding, micro phonics, hard to get a good fit without pain (for some people), and stick way out of the ear.

The PFEs have none of those issues, but the PFEs don't isolate as well unless you find a tip that work. The Olives solved that problem for me. They are as fast. The highs are just as good or virtually as good as the etys, but a better midrange and better bass, and frankly more musical while remaining accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back