Er-4p custom molds - microphonics and 'pokey outie-ness'
Feb 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

landofshane

New Head-Fier
HI all,

I've been a long time reader but finally registered. I've had Er6i's for years but having been a sound tech in a previous life I've always craved more... After a massive amount of research, I narrowed my search to the Er4p (or ACS T2 Customs, but the £500 of the customs isn't justifiable at the moment).

ACS can do custom moulds for the Er4p which is an attractive compromise... However, I have 2 main doubts over the Er4p's+ custom tips which I'm hoping you can help me with.

1. I always wear my Er6i over the ear for comfort and to avoid microphoics. Are the Er4p's better than the Er6is for microphonics (as I know they can't be worn over the ear)? Will custom tips help this?

1. I'm concerned how far out of the ears the Er4p's poke (which is what lead me to look at the ACS T2). Will custom moulds help this, make it worse or no difference at all?

Any advice at all would be very appreciated!

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 6
I think that the er4s are designed to function best , and sound best, with deep insertion. I don't think you could get this deep insertion with custom tips. The er4 cable and design are prone to microphonics, and over the ear would be difficult.
Consider the um3x: having been a former sound tech they will make your day.

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 6
HF5 has a similar shape to ER4, and I use Shure "Olives" with my HF5.  Insertion is not as deep, but comfort is excellent, isolation is just as good, and soundstage is fuller compared to the Ety 3-flange tips (either large white or smaller gray).

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Hmmm, sounds like the answer on both accounts is a no? Thanks for coming back with suggestions though guys.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks Cliff - that exactly how I read your last post. Both the sticky outieness and microphonics are a big deal for me due to the way I use them (lots of walking and also 'sleeping' on planes etc). Thanks for confirming what I had feared though, it's nice to have a firm answer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back