ER-4P Build Quality
Nov 29, 2004 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

EdipisReks

Banned
my second set of ER6i's, which are the version 2 phones, have developed the same left channel intermitancy problem that my first set, which were version 1, developed, and i'm about ready to abandon them. i really want to get the Weston UM2's, but i'm am reluctant to pay $300 for canalphones right now, and i'm willing to give Etymotic one more chance. do the ER-4P's suffer from build quality issues, or are they a pretty solid product? i baby my phones, so i'm not sure if the my ER6i problems stem from bad build quality or just bad luck, but i'd like to be sure of over all quality before i spend more money. thanks.

Nov 29, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 11
Seems like you just got some lemons. I've never had a problem with my ER4S's, and I baby them as well. I've also heard of people owning these canal phones for many years without problems. I don't think you should have any more problems, unless your luck really is that bad
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 11
My ER-4S is rapidly approaching its tenth year and I've had no trouble with it. They've been with me around the world. Although I generally baby them, I have fallen asleep with them in, had them yanked out of my ear, etc., with no problems.

Michael

Nov 29, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 11
I am an "unlucky" person whose ER4's went wrong around 3 months after buying them from Headroom. I had to pay to have them shipped back to the USA where Etymotic repaired them free of charge and returned them to me. The shipping cost me over £50 with insurance. Around 18 months later the cable insulation started to fray and they are intermittent again. Not only do I have to once again pay for the return shipping, I have to prove I paid for them ( I can no longer find the original paperwork from headroom
frown.gif
) - So they sit here not working!

My experience means I certainly cannot recommend them as a product that is well built and will last. I realise that I am considered "unlucky" though.

Nov 29, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 11
I have a minor connection problem with my left earpiece. Probably once every week or so, it'll go out, sometimes as a result of my adjusting them, and I have to take it out and push the back and the front towards one another. Even after that, I can see a small gap, but they work. I don't recall them ever losing the connection while in my ear, so I've never sent them back.

Nov 29, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 11
I have had no problem with my Etys at all. I have both the 4p and the 4s (purchaed before the conversion cable was available) and I've had no problems with either pair.

I must admit though, I did have some concerns about their durability because of their size. But, I am happy to say no problems at all with them.

Nov 30, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 11
I have had my 4P's for going on three years and I too have traveled around the world more than a few times with them. They alone changed the way I viewed long distance air travel. I can have a screaming kid right next to me and I just look at them and smile... don't hear a thing. I don't use them at home but in the air they are priceless.

My 4P's have been through pure hell. Serving carts have ripped them out of my ears. I have forgotten I was wearing them and pulled them out going to the toilet. Never a complaint from them. All I've done is change the silicone ear peices and filters.

I have friend that has the 6's and we both agree the 4's are better constructed.

Nov 30, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 11
I've also had a problem with the right side driver on my 4P. It was intermittent for a while and began going dead for longer and longer periods. ETY replaced the driver for no cost. No problems since, works beautifully.

Nov 30, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mycoman
I have had my 4P's for going on three years and I too have traveled around the world more than a few times with them. They alone changed the way I viewed long distance air travel. I can have a screaming kid right next to me and I just look at them and smile... don't hear a thing. I don't use them at home but in the air they are priceless.

Exactly!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back