Equadorian flute music recommendations
May 27, 2006 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Vicious Tyrant

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I heard the most lovely, enchanting music - folk music from Ecuador. What I heard absolutely was absolutely heart-breaking.

I just have a little cheesy CD of samples and I figured it was just an unknown music form - then I figured "Wait a minute, why not post this on Head-Fi. Surely someone will have some expertise in this area and have some top notch recommendations."

I'd love to hear anything anyone knows about this music - does anyone else find it as haunting as I do?

[edit to spell Ecuador correctly :blush:]

May 27, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 4
The first thing you should do is to learn to spell Ecuador. The adjective is properly Ecuadorean or Ecuadoran.

You are also not the first person to discover the music of the Andean Altiplano; Paul Simon's famous hit "El Condor Pasa" is a Peruvian/Ecuadorean folk tune.

Look for recordings by Los Calchakis (actually a Peruvian group). Years ago there was a French recording called "La Flute Indiënne" which was the first compilation of this music. Unfortunately, it's become and extremely expensive recording as it's long oop, but there are subsequent volumes which still pop up on the market occasionally.

If you enjoy the flute music, you should also try and get hold of the Andean harp music.

May 28, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

[edit to spell Ecuador correctly :blush:]

If it's any consolation, when Darwin wrote the Origin of the Species, he described the country as the "Republic of the Equator" which is the literal translation of República del Ecuador.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back