Epic Tales of Customer Service
Dec 23, 2011 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Kanashimu

100+ Head-Fier
I personally haven't seen a thread like what I'm trying to make here, but I think Head Fi would be well served by a thread such as this.

This isn't a thread about all the little dealings, every experience with every audio dealer we've had. This thread is dedicated to the most spectacular of stories, the best of the best, the worst of the worst. Now my friends, please sit back and relax, preferably while sipping some hot chocolate or egg nog as you read..

This particular story is about Head Direct. They are known for some of the best price/performing products on the market, and also of a fairly high failure rate, unfortunately. They have tried updating their designs, which is a step forward. Anyhow, over a year ago, I purchased the original HE-5 and EF-5 combo. You know, the old wooden ones. Heavy, and breaks yar neck. Not very comfortable. I suppose I fell for the FOTM then. Not a good way to spend $1000, I know, but please bear with me.

When it arrived, it did sound okay, but there was a problem out of the box - wood cracking. Its really awkward - and it only got worse as time progressed. I was able to ask Head Direct for a refund, and they agreed. So I shipped it by snail mail back to China - a tracked, one month service costed a whopping $70. I tracked it every few days. A wave of relief washed over me when I saw that it arrived safe and sound in China. However, it stayed in customs in China. A week later, still in customs. Two months later - it had not cleared customs. After consulting my dad, I finally realized that it had been confiscated by the Chinese customs. And with that, the $1000 as well.

I've been bitter about it ever since. To be fair, it isn't even Head Direct's fault - they just happen to be a victim of China's ultra-strict import restrictions. You may be surprised - I later saw them, and they basically have the right to confiscate any audio device that is sent to China. Probably due to their suspicions and fear of espionage. Needless to say, I was rather vocal about this on forums.

However, just over a week ago, Dr. Fang saw my post. He was very sympathetic, and was willing to compensate me for my loss, DESPITE the fact that he never received the returned headphones + amplifier. Just this morning, I received an HE-500 that he promised - he even shipped it in a under 2 day service, from Hong Kong to Canada. That just CAN'T be cheap.

And wow, the HE-500 is beautiful. It doesn't feel like 502 grams, because to be honest, I can compare it to the Senn HD 555s - they're that comfy. They are similar to my ES10s in weight, or feel like it, despite being 2.5x as heavy. The new leather earpads are amazing, as are the new silver stock cables. I was rather miffed that I did not have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter at hand, but then I realized that the HE-500s were actually terminated to 1/8", and used a 1/4" adapter. Everything about it is excellent for portable use - from the carrying case, to the carrying back, to the design on the cable - its as if Dr. Fang knew that one would want to bring it to the office. And damn, the sound is just amazing straight out of my iBasso Mamba - just incredibly natural, excellent treble extension and sparkle, incredibly realistic bass and just wow'd. My incoming Miracles have a lot to compete against.

Dr. Fang has really gone above what is necessary in terms of customer service here - and he did it at great loss to himself. And as a result, he has a very, very satisfied customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back