EP-630, iM716, KCS-75, and others under $80 - How do they compare?
May 11, 2006 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ShaftedTwice

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not really looking for strictly VS. each other, although I would like to compare them. I own the Creative and the Koss, I like the Koss' sound a whole lot better, but there is wayy too much leakage in them, as opposed to the Creative's great isolation.

I am also looking at the Altec Lansing iM716's for that $69 price tag, would it be better to choose these phones over others?

Also, I am open to literally anything under $80, be it Grados or anything, it does not have to be portable, isolation is a major plus to me though.

Again, I am looking as a more detailed description of what you think to be some of the best phones under $80, not really strictly VS. each other.

Thanks.

May 12, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 17
I almost always break down cans by purpose and traits (i.e. open v. closed, IEM v. Full, Home v. Away) That makes a huge difference in which can is "the best" and which isnt. So Ill try to do generalizations.

Best Home/Full open under $80 = I pass on this one. To me the MS-1 at $100 is a far better deal than anything else at $80. Yes, its $20 more than the goal but having lived firmly in the under $80 camp and having lost far more than $20 in selling all the sub-$80 cans I had AFTER the MS-1, I believe its worth the extra. If you just cant swing it, the SR-60 is the next best choice. The SR-80 I disliked and wasnt worth keeping even though I got it new for $70.

Best Home/Closed = Again, nothing at sub $80 is worth it to me. The AT A500 is my choice here. Fantastic can for the money, esp. since its a rare GOOD CLOSED sub $100 can. I cannot recommend any other sub $100 closed can. Most of them were "meh" and some were downright terrible. I think one or two if the sub $100 Sony were supposed to be good but Im boycotting Sony after damn near everything Sony of mine has fallen appart long before its expected useable life.

Best Away/Closed = Without a doubt the AKG81DJ. I LOVE this phone. In fact, Im hard pressed to suggest anything else sub- $150, its that good. Portable (to me), SQ is excellent, decent isolation, its solid all the way around. I still dont think its worthy of being the best closed HOME can but its darn near close to it. Portable wise, no contest. It wins mightly.

Best Away/Open = IMO all it has to be is not so gigantic that its obtrusive (Im looking at you AT AD/A Series!) MS-1 still fits the bill here.

IEM = I think IEMs have the worst value to price ratio of any phones. I only suggest them if you MUST have isolation. If so, the iM716s are the choice here. Sound as good or better than the ER6s (to most) and some even say near ER4s levels. $70 too? Insane. If you need IEMs, grab em.
As far as the EP-630, was a decent deal. Decent SQ to price ratio but with the iM716 at $70 now, I cant justify not spending the difference. Would be great as a phone for every now and again but if you plan on regular use, go iM716.

There are about 100 other ways to classify phones so I wont go on any further. The best advice I can give is make sure your needs are your true needs and then hunt down phones that fit. If you can stand full sized open, youll get the best SQ most of the time. 2nd (IMO) would be a closed full, then closed portable, IEM. (if money is roughly equal)

May 12, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by stmpjmp
I almost always break down cans by purpose and traits (i.e. open v. closed, IEM v. Full, Home v. Away) That makes a huge difference in which can is "the best" and which isnt. So Ill try to do generalizations.

Best Home/Full open under $80 = I pass on this one. To me the MS-1 at $100 is a far better deal than anything else at $80. Yes, its $20 more than the goal but having lived firmly in the under $80 camp and having lost far more than $20 in selling all the sub-$80 cans I had AFTER the MS-1, I believe its worth the extra. If you just cant swing it, the SR-60 is the next best choice. The SR-80 I disliked and wasnt worth keeping even though I got it new for $70.

Best Home/Closed = Again, nothing at sub $80 is worth it to me. The AT A500 is my choice here. Fantastic can for the money, esp. since its a rare GOOD CLOSED sub $100 can. I cannot recommend any other sub $100 closed can. Most of them were "meh" and some were downright terrible. I think one or two if the sub $100 Sony were supposed to be good but Im boycotting Sony after damn near everything Sony of mine has fallen appart long before its expected useable life.

Best Away/Closed = Without a doubt the AKG81DJ. I LOVE this phone. In fact, Im hard pressed to suggest anything else sub- $150, its that good. Portable (to me), SQ is excellent, decent isolation, its solid all the way around. I still dont think its worthy of being the best closed HOME can but its darn near close to it. Portable wise, no contest. It wins mightly.

Best Away/Open = IMO all it has to be is not so gigantic that its obtrusive (Im looking at you AT AD/A Series!) MS-1 still fits the bill here.

IEM = I think IEMs have the worst value to price ratio of any phones. I only suggest them if you MUST have isolation. If so, the iM716s are the choice here. Sound as good or better than the ER6s (to most) and some even say near ER4s levels. $70 too? Insane. If you need IEMs, grab em.
As far as the EP-630, was a decent deal. Decent SQ to price ratio but with the iM716 at $70 now, I cant justify not spending the difference. Would be great as a phone for every now and again but if you plan on regular use, go iM716.

There are about 100 other ways to classify phones so I wont go on any further. The best advice I can give is make sure your needs are your true needs and then hunt down phones that fit. If you can stand full sized open, youll get the best SQ most of the time. 2nd (IMO) would be a closed full, then closed portable, IEM. (if money is roughly equal)

Awesome post, I'll look into em all that you mentioned, thanks a lot bro.

May 12, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaftedTwice
Awesome post, I'll look into em all that you mentioned, thanks a lot bro.

No problem. Thats what we do around here.
eggosmile.gif

If you want more help, just let us know where you think youre heading as far as type/trait. Then other Headfi'ers can suggest stuff that matches your needs that I personally havent tried.

May 12, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 17
Hmm, well to narrow it down a bit, I don't think that I will take many open cans, as I need some isolation, cans such as the KCS-75's flood sound, but it doesn't have to be IEM isolation either.

I am starting to stray away from the IEMs a bit and am focusing more on just closed ones, i dont think that I will mind portability as long as it isnt a huge ass set that weighs a thousand pounds. Cans such as the K81DJ look just about right..

From your guys' opinion, I'm guessing the K81DJ's or the Grado SR-60's have better SQ than say the iM716's, because of the full sized and IEMs?

May 12, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

I'm not really looking for strictly VS. each other, although I would like to compare them. I own the Creative and the Koss, I like the Koss' sound a whole lot better, but there is wayy too much leakage in them, as opposed to the Creative's great isolation.

I am also looking at the Altec Lansing iM716's for that $69 price tag, would it be better to choose these phones over others?

Also, I am open to literally anything under $80, be it Grados or anything, it does not have to be portable, isolation is a major plus to me though.

Again, I am looking as a more detailed description of what you think to be some of the best phones under $80, not really strictly VS. each other.

Thanks.

........for total isolation.

May 12, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Not total isolation, can leak a bit, but not as much as say the KCS-75's where it is flooding everywhere..

The Grados/Ms1 leak just as much or more than the KSC 75. From what Ive seen, the AKG81DJ is THE can for you. Portable, closed (enough) and fantastic sound. Also, right around $70-$80. Search the forum for the K81Dj thread and read up on it. Then buy it from one of the sponsors (I had an excellent experence with Todd the Vinyle Junkie so Im partial to them)

May 12, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 17
My portable rig is made up of the two best (IMHO) headphones for under $80. The PortaPro, the best open headphone for under $80 and the K81DJ, the best closed for under $80. I like the PortaPro for rock more and the K81DJ for rap/techno more. These two cans are so good I could make them my only two headphones...

May 12, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 17
I'll recommend the ck7 which is almost exactly like the eR6i with better detail. Pretty light weight and feel very comfortable! One of the best earbuds in your price range! I got them for $70!

May 12, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #11 of 17
Seems to be like the AKG K-81 DJ seems to be a good choice for me, IEMs or earbuds are still a close follow up, thanks for all the helpful replies, Ill still be lookin around so Im open to more choices.

May 12, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #12 of 17
70 bucks for the im716 and 10 bucks for the ksc75. for 80 bucks, you got the best of both worlds.

May 12, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
70 bucks for the im716 and 10 bucks for the ksc75. for 80 bucks, you got the best of both worlds.

Yeah, It's basically come down to the AKG K-80 DJ's or the Altec Lansing iM716's and I simply can't decide between the two
confused.gif
Help me out
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Yeah, It's basically come down to the AKG K-80 DJ's or the Altec Lansing iM716's and I simply can't decide between the two
confused.gif
Help me out
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, it's all about the style of the headphone. How portable and stationary will you be? I think that should be the deciding factor, as full sized cans aren't always fun to carry around your neck. I used to do it, and it was a bit of a hassle. You could always get both.
rolleyes.gif

May 12, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz
Well, it's all about the style of the headphone. How portable and stationary will you be? I think that should be the deciding factor, as full sized cans aren't always fun to carry around your neck. I used to do it, and it was a bit of a hassle. You could always get both.
rolleyes.gif

Meh, I'm not too worried about portability at this point, but Im not gonna get both
icon10.gif
How do these two compare exculding comfort and portability, just focusing on SQ and everything in their essence?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back