Entry-Level Portable Amp?
Jan 23, 2011 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

50an6xy06r6n

1000+ Head-Fier
Curiosity is taking hold, and I'm starting to wonder how an amp would change the sound of my headphones. Nothing definite yet, but the thought's there. If i were to get an amp, it would probably have to be portable, as I spend a lot of time away from my desk, at school, etc. So now to the real question: If I were to get a portable amp, which ones would you suggest under or around $200?

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 10
Look up Minibox-ES.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 10
You might want to define how and what it'll be used with. That is to say: what headphones? What music? Will there be a laptop involved, and if so will you want to run movies and games too?

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 10
Meier amps

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
You might want to define how and what it'll be used with. That is to say: what headphones? What music? Will there be a laptop involved, and if so will you want to run movies and games too?

Well right now I've got a pair of UE 500 IEMs and the M50s, neither of which really need amping, but I'm catching the bug... They'll be mostly for music off my laptop and iPod, and sometimes for movies and rarely for games.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 10
My advice to you is skip the "entry level" thing and go directly to the "big guys" i bought the fiio e7 as my 1st amp and in just a span of 3 months, i bought the rsa hornet m and headamp pico amp/dac. :p

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 10
Or buy your entry level amp, and do not visit head-fi for a year:D

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 10
Skip the entry level amp. Just get the best headphones you can. Then and only then, if you still want that marginal increase in sound quality, consider a portable amp. It's wisest to upgrade the element that has the greatest influence on SQ first. And when you do get an amp, get something with a good form factor and other useful features such as crossfeed. I personally like the headstage arrow, but again, it's not worth buying until you have the best phones you can have.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Skip the entry level amp. Just get the best headphones you can. Then and only then, if you still want that marginal increase in sound quality, consider a portable amp. It's wisest to upgrade the element that has the greatest influence on SQ first. And when you do get an amp, get something with a good form factor and other useful features such as crossfeed. I personally like the headstage arrow, but again, it's not worth buying until you have the best phones you can have.

Thanks for the feedback, that's the route I've been leaning towards, since I have limited funds, and can only really spend money on one or the other...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back