Entry into Stax?
Jan 24, 2022 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
Curious about Stax. But, having never heard them and being a bit intimidated with the various models and energizers and whatnot I have no idea where to begin my search for a decent entry into what they’re all about. I also don’t want to spend the big-boy dollars.

Can one get the Stax experience on a budget? Or is that more of a wishful thinking and a waste of time?

I know some amps are made to drive Stax or can drive them but none of mine are capable of that so I’d need both the cans and the amp. Can I get a rig for less than a grand? If yes, what should I start looking for? If no, I totally get it.

Thanks.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 4
the SR5 (30 years old) is usually affordable...you need an amp and an energizer. think of a Sennheiser hd600 on ultimate clarity and speed. If you want a more modern system (and more money) the L300 and a 252amp is a decent combo.

the Koss stats are also worth a look. I have a set of the original 9s and they are a special sound but a torture device. the ESP-950s are it, sound and comfort.

seriously, a local headphone show is really where you need to be. Most stat folks are better off going straight to the top (or near) since that's where they end up...storage filled up and trail of money left behind.

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 4
Yes you can: SRM-T1 + SR-Lambda (normal bias, 6-pin connector)
This is one of the best sounding combinations you can get with Stax, irrespective of how little it costs. You can check my page so see what else I currently have and I still regard the NB Lambda just as highly when I got one 10 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back