Entertaining the idea of Vinyl....
Mar 29, 2009 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
My budget would be $1000 including everything I need to get up and running. I would be using this with a Cary SLI-80 and Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1's.

What would you buy or start out with for this price range?

My main concern right now is that I will not be able to find all of the music I want. I mainly listen to old r&B/soul, and alternative rock.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My budget would be $1000 including everything I need to get up and running. I would be using this with a Cary SLI-80 and Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1's.

My main concern right now is that I will not be able to find all of the music I want. I mainly listen to old r&B/soul, and alternative rock.

The Pro-Ject Xpression III with the Sumiko Oyster moving magnet cartridge $700
Clearaudio Nano phono preamplifier $350
Suitable for moving coil and moving magnet cartridges

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #3 of 19
I like the 'Xpression III' as well. I was very close to buying it a year or two ago but I decided to save some money and I ended up buying a 'Debut III'. If I would have known how serious I would be about vinyl I probably would have bought the Xpression.

EDIT:
If you went with the Xpression I would swap the Oyster out for a Ortofon 2M Red/Blue (personal preference).

If you feel that you will be serious about vinyl (read: spending hours at thrift shops/used record shops looking for the "good stuff", cleaning records, finding places to store them, ect.) then spending $1000 doesn't seem that bad of an idea.

I'm almost ready to upgrade to a $1000-1500 level deck, myself.

Most people that reply are probably going to recommend getting a new Technics SL-1200 and upgrading it. That's definitely the bang-for-buck pick and it will scale up almost infinitely. I didn't go that direction because I like the more contemporary styled tables and I (shamefully) actually care about the aesthetics.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As mentioned you have a choice of a newer 'budget' table like the Pro-Ject or Rega usually sold in a convenient bundle with all the bits you need, or a stalwart like the Technics SL1200 which can be improved from standard DJ spec with a basic tweak-up or else fully upgraded with a better tonearm into a very capable 'audiophile' class of deck.

Or if you are more DIY inclined you can pick up a pretty decent vintage table for much less money and tweak it up yourself, which isn't as hard as you'd think. Easier than building your own headphone amp for instance as it's mostly a mechanical apparatus.

As far as music goes you'll find a lot of the classic R&B and Soul Lps have been re-issued recently (Stax, Motown, Atlantic, Argo / Cadet etc...)
There is loads of this around on vinyl in 2nd hand stores as well although the prices fluctuate a lot depending on what's been repressed at any given time and of course there are 7" singles as well to consider.

If you plan on collecting a lot of original 7"s the Technics might be a good way to go as most belt drives in this price range don't have electronic speed control which is a bit of a pain.

Also buying a lot of 2nd hand records you'll want to look seriously at a decent cleaning machine which start around 200USD...

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 19
I think I would prefer to go with a more modern turntable. So what all would I need to get started? I'll start researching the Rega and Pro-ject tables.

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 19
I would agree witht the Expression III. Underwood Hifi on audiogon had a deal for that turntable and a project phone stage for about 700 a couple of months ago. I lived with the Oyster cartridge for a while until I could upgrade the cartridge. It doesn't sound bad. I've since upgraded the cartridge with a Grado and the phono stage with an RSA. For the money, as a starter I've been pleased with that turntable.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 19
I just want to stress how simple most turntables are and what serious deals you can find on eBay.

I quite literally paid $20 for my current turntable. This table sold for $250 back in 1978, a modern day equivalent of more than $800. The guy did a pretty poor conversion to manual, so I can to re-do the whole thing. But really just a cleaning, new belt, lube/cleaning of the motor, and it was ready to go. Once you get the hang of the internals, you can do easy repairs yourself and no harm no foul considering how cheap you got the table. I ended up re-wiring the tonearm myself for a nice improvement. I ended up getting an unbelievable deal on a cartridge from a member here on Head-fi for $25 (an Audio Technica 12Sa).

So for less than $100, I ended up with a substantial system that sounds better than setups many times the price tag.

This kind of deal doesn't come around often and you have to be willing to accept failure or be DIY inclined. However, you may just want to get an ultra cheap TT just to take apart so that when the time comes you know how to properly maintain whatever one you buy (lubbing the motor, etc).

Some people may even have a nice Thorens or Linn for not much money on eBay or other Audio forums.

You will be surprised by how quickly you accumulate vinyl. I went from no Vinyl in October to having about 70 records today. Haven't even gotten around to listening to all of them.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 19
Music Hall is also a good brand in that price range. Best to get something like that with a cartridge that has been matched by the manufacturer rather than having to figure all that out. DIYing and slapping different parts together will probably drive you away until you've had more experience. Keep it simple starting out.

Whatever you do, leave $200 for a record doctor II (think they are still at that price). It is pretty much essential to have a vacuum cleaning device in my book.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 19
vinylengine is a good place to research tables, arms and carts.
Use the Disc Doctor brushes and fluid to clean records. You don't need a vacuum record cleaner initially.
Rinse after cleaning per Duane Goldman's excellent set of instructions and pat dry with a clean cotton diaper,
Then dry on a dish rack.

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #10 of 19
I just bought a Linn Basik with Akito arm and K9 cartridge and a Cambridge Audio 640p phono stage. With a cartridge upgrade and interconnects that makes your budget. I can vouch for how good it sounds. Good luck though. I've had a TT since yesterday and I can't stop playing it. Vinyl is the future.

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vinyl is the future.

Aye. So pleased to be back into spinning, on my 5th week now and it's been celebration and happy times all the way with a Rega P1, which was about as much as I paid for my V-DAC. Been shopping vinyl online almost by the hour but my inventory ratio is still 5:1 or higher in favour of digital; playtime though is those numbers reversed. And I stand by my positive comments in threads on the DAC; I really like it... for what it is.

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #12 of 19
Don't buy new unless you have to. Used deals are so much better, and don't freak out over warranty stuff. As has been mentioned, you can find almost any manual at the Vinyl Engine. Second, not much goes wrong with turntables. Cleaning out the bearing, refilling it with clean oil and a new belt are all most need, if they need anything. At most, you might need a new bearing (if it has a flat spot) but you can get one at any machine shop for $10-$20. Just take the old bearing in and tell them that you need a new one. They will know the exact size and will get one for you. Then you drop it into the hole and fill it up with oil. That's it.

By the way, I like to use Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic for bearing oil. The same stuff you put in a car, and you can get a quart for about $6 at Sears. It'll last for years, too.

And you'll also have to spend some time getting the deck perfectly level, then setting up the arm and cartridge just right.

My first rig clocked in a little under $1,000. I found an armless Rega Planar 3 locally for $200. Next, I ordered a RB300 from Brit Audio for around $300. My phono stage was a NAD PP2 I found for about $130, and my cartridge was a Grado Gold I grabbed off eBay for about $100. So, a little over $750 and I was really happy with the setup.

If I had to stretch it to $1,000, I'd skip the PP2 and go after a vintage Conrad-Johnson preamp. After getting the vinyl rig, I picked up a PV2 for around $300, and found that a significant upgrade over the PP2. The C-J PV2 has an all-tube phono stage that sounds excellent and has a couple of tape loops out, which makes it really easy to run a headphone amp off of it. Add a power amp, and you'll have a nice setup for driving speakers or headphones.

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #13 of 19
Apr 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #14 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back