enough of sennheiser
Jun 24, 2006 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

wibowo

New Head-Fier
hi guys... I recently upgraded to HD-555.

The first few weeks i found the HD555 sound impressive. But, thanks to this forum and a little research, i now find hd555 rather boring when playing music. I wanna try Grado but many said that the sound is too energetic and fatiguing.

so my question is, which brand of handphone is the midway between Grado sound and Sennheiser sound in terms of sound energy? i dont care about portability or amplification or other factors(i will buy whatever is necessary later). And please dun advise me to get other sennheiser.

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 26
Wait, they sounded good but then after some reading they don't? How does that work?

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wibowo
The first few weeks i found the HD555 sound impressive. But, thanks to this forum and a little research, i now find hd555 rather boring when playing music.

So, just becuase people say they are boring, you trust other people not your own ears?

Quote:

so my question is, which brand of handphone is the midway between Grado sound and Sennheiser sound in terms of sound energy?

In between? I say the HD595, more forward than other Senns, but not as much as Grado's, but you dont want another Senn so I dunno.

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 26
How much are you willing to spend? The AKG K701 is a fairly live listen IMO without the fatigue of a Grado. If they fit you right then they may be a good way to go for you. Depends on what you listen to as well.

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 26
I've seen people say Audio-Technica is a good middle ground

Jun 24, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 26
Maybe you can try the DR150. There's an official impressions thread somewhere.

In my experience, the DR150 can "fill the gap" really well whenever I'm not in the mood for the well-balanced Sennheisers sound. BTW, I've owned a HD595 instead of HD555.

Jun 24, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

... I wanna try Grado but many said that the sound is too energetic and fatiguing....

For some people, Grado may sound fatiguing, but MANY find Grado to be just the ticket. Before you aim for between HD555 and Grado, you should try Grado to see if it is fatiguing for you or not. You've gotta take the impressions and advises as a few grains of salt and use your ears to make the ultimate judgement for you. What others may call it a gabage and intolerable may be just the right ticket for you.
tongue.gif

BTW, I think ATH-W1K may be between Grado RS-1 & HD595 (slightly more towards to the Grado).

Jun 24, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

thanks guys... hmm.. i think i'll look more into the k701... hopefully it's the right headphone for me..hehe
580smile.gif

Good choice

Jun 24, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

so my question is, which brand of handphone is the midway between Grado sound and Sennheiser sound in terms of sound energy?

I find the DT880 to be a good compromise between Senns and Grados

Jun 24, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceage
Wait, they sounded good but then after some reading they don't? How does that work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
Im wonderin too
confused.gif

Isn't it obvious the words weren't properly burnt-in.

Jun 24, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 26
Easy. Reading about their possible flaws makes one notice them easier.

If you are worried about Grado fatigue, check Alessandro line, or go straight to Grado SR225. If they sound too fatiguing, Grado isnt for you. You might consider AKG K701 or latest model of Beyerdynamic DT880 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back