ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Jan 12, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #31 of 1,237
Any listening impressions yet? :cool:

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #32 of 1,237
Not that I've seen. It's been 17 hrs and 29mins since the thread was made. Guess it's time to make an alternate account and post fake bad impressions so the company chimed in. Jk btw

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #33 of 1,237
  I surrender.  I'm buying one. 
L3000.gif

Same here...I'm ready to go

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #34 of 1,237
  I contacted ENIGMAcoustics and they confirmed the following:

1. The Dharma retail price will be $1,200.

2. The Dharma is being targeted for release sometime during Q2 of this year.  They will exhibit the Dharma at the CanJam SoCal in Costa Mesa, California, March 28-29.

3.  The Dharma does not require a special amplifier.  Any competently designed amp will work.

4.  The new ENIGMAcoustics Athena A1 single-ended triode headphone amp will retail for $1,500.

excuse my ignorance but what does Q2 mean?
The second quarter of a calendar year (April, May, June) or fiscal year; 
redface.gif

Sorry PHILIPS, you will need a new design should you ever make a true TOTL headphone. I can see a hint of K812 in there as well. 

I know I say this in every thread but pretty please have good bass impact and solidity. 

That however is the coolest looking amp I have ever seen. But SE? 

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #35 of 1,237
I hope the final version loses the thick fabric head band and gets the thinner leather one pictured in the render instead.

And you're right grizzlybeast, they look like a sexier version of the Philips X1/X2 in the renders.  Nothin' wrong with that, tho'!

If these bad boys can deliver reference-level SQ at $1200, these could be the dark horse to put your money on.

It's such an exciting time to be a Head-Fi'er!!!  Can't wait to hear these at the upcoming SoCal CanJam! 
L3000.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #36 of 1,237
[COLOR=141823]From the manufacturer:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=141823]The ultra-lightweight composite and non-conductive electrostatic membrane is permanently impregnated with electrons, therefore it doesn't require any external power.[/COLOR][COLOR=141823]
[/COLOR][COLOR=141823]
[/COLOR][COLOR=141823]Simply stated, the proprietary SBESL™ (self-biased electrostatic loudspeaker) technology inherits all of the amazing ESL traits but none of its baggage.[/COLOR]

What!!!! That's exciting! These guys could be a real game changer if they can produce a full range electrostat that doesn't require a special amp.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #37 of 1,237
What!!!! That's exciting! These guys could be a real game changer if they can produce an electrostat that doesn't require a special amp.

Their Sopranino electrostatic supertweeter is a unique self-biasing design, and they are obviously using the same tech on the Dharma.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #38 of 1,237

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/postcards-from-las-vegas-part-two/?page=3

Another rave first-impression from Chris Martens at Hi-Fi+.  
atsmile.gif

Also, the prototype looks noticeably different than the renders.  And actually, I like the look of the prototype a lot more (except for the fat, cheap-looking head band).

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #39 of 1,237
Looks promising. Jeez, I seem to be saying that like once a week.

Since It's called Dharma, I assume it will be a good headphone for listening to Blue Oyster Cult?

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #40 of 1,237
Their Sopranino electrostatic supertweeter is a unique self-biasing design, and they are obviously using the same tech on the Dharma.

Yes, but it would be amazing if they had a full range electrostatic driver, not "just" a super tweeter to complement the dynamic driver.

I can't wait to try this thing out. Looks great, apparently sounds great, and looks very comfortable. Very much looking forward to more impressions from ces and the upcoming canjam.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #41 of 1,237
Several magnetic planar designs extend to 50kHz

But how many dB down? I ask because it's not supposed to be that way due to the innertial effects (pretty hard to get this kind of HF extension unless you in estat superthin/superlight membrane territory)...

This headphone is an exciting news, can't wait to read more!

Arnaud

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #42 of 1,237
Here are the replies that I received via Facebook. They were really quick to respond. Very interested to read the impressions.

Requesting any info about the Dharma:

We’ve been approached and highly sought-after to exhibit at the upcoming CamJam SoCal in Costa Mesa, California, on March 28-29. Once finalized an official press release will follow. You may email us at sales@enigmacoustics.com for additional info. Thank you for contacting ENIGMAcoustics and spread the word!

Quote:
 Dharma utilizes the same proprietary SBESL™ (self-biased electrostatic loudspeaker) technology found in our award-winning Sopranino electrostatic super tweeter as well as Mythology M1 full-range hybrid monitor speaker. Combining with a revolutionary dynamic driver, Dharma is the world’s FIRST and ONLY electrostatic/dynamic hybrid high-end headphone.

Asked if they had a newsletter or way to be notified as new information is released.  Also if a special amp is required.

During the recently concluded 2015 CES we also unveiled Athena A1, our very own premium single-ended triode headphone amp. Nevertheless, in order to operate our world-class Dharma headphone consumers are not required to purchase our headphone amp. Any competently designed and built headphone amp will be sufficient. Multiple setups will be available for onsite pairings with other makes/models at future shows.

Again asking for any information as prior to the post in the Audeze EL-8 thread, there was only a couple of mentions online.  They pointed me to this thread :)
This thread was started just recently and yes, please email your full contact info to sales@enigmacoustics.com and you will receive periodic updates. Please also be on a lookout for complete show reports yet to publish. In the coming weeks we will begin to release complete product specs/tech sheet as well as news of scheduled review sessions with some of the most influential industry heavyweights across the globe.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #45 of 1,237

That however is the coolest looking amp I have ever seen. But SE? 

What's wrong with SE? There's really no advantage to using a balanced design for a given price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back