Engraving One-Off Circuits a No-Go
Apr 4, 2005 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Syzygies

500+ Head-Fier
So I had to find out for myself why people don't engrave small one-off circuit boards. In my delusional fantasies I figured the tool would cut like butter, it would be like writing with a felt tip pen on nice paper, and I'd be done before the next guy could set up his light box and etching tanks.

I'd be wrong.
rolleyes.gif

Engraving.jpg

With the Dremel 290-01 Electric Engraver and its standard bit, only one of the above islands was electrically isolated. Note the copper layer peeling up. Ever see a cuneiform clay tablet? Those ancients did much prettier work than me!

Dremel makes a diamond bit, but somehow I don't think this would help. Perhaps there's a dentist tool that does better?

Now, if I could set up a DIY computer-controlled laser etching station, that'd be cool! Meanwhile, it's the etching tanks for me...

My other idea was to order boards in a pad-per-hole formation connected to all nearest neighbors in a lattice. Then one would get pre-drilled holes, through-hole plating, tinning, all that good stuff. I'd just have to cut the unwanted bridges somehow, like programming a PLA.

Apr 4, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 22
There are computer-controlled milling stations that do this sort of thing. Think of it as an HP plotter with a very wicked pen.

Apr 4, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 22
Apr 4, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu
This tool equipped with a suitable diamond burr slices like through such things like butter
biggrin.gif

What is it? The picture doesn't identify the tool.

I had been thinking "In for a penny, in for a pound", I should get the diamond engraving bit for the Dremel engraver, just to see. The regular bit also does a messy job on exotic hardwood panels, but the $14 diamond cutting wheel for the Dremel tool does an awesome job on everything I've tried. PCB boards look like they were cut by laser.

Apr 4, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syzygies
What is it? The picture doesn't identify the tool.

I had been thinking "In for a penny, in for a pound", I should get the diamond engraving bit for the Dremel engraver, just to see. The regular bit also does a messy job on exotic hardwood panels, but the $14 diamond cutting wheel for the Dremel tool does an awesome job on everything I've tried. PCB boards look like they were cut by laser.

The tool is a Nouvag NM3000 micromotor.
They are designed for dental,work etc.

Is the Dremel engraver a rotary or reciprocating tool?

Setmenu

Apr 4, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu
Is the Dremel engraver a rotary or reciprocating tool?

The $20 Dremel 290 Engraver appears to be reciprocating; it describes "strokes" and one can adjust the depth. The $80 Dremel 400 XPR Rotary Tool instead rotates; I also have one, so this begs for another experiment.

Apr 4, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syzygies
The $20 Dremel 290 Engraver appears to be reciprocating; it describes "strokes" and one can adjust the depth. The $80 Dremel 400 XPR Rotary Tool instead rotates; I also have one, so this begs for another experiment.

Rotary is definitely the way to go, those cheap reciprocating engravers are
brutal things.
What you need is high speed and something that is nice to hold.
The rotary dremals are good general purpose tools but not exactly designed
for the most delicate work.
Try to look for something that has the revs but is small and as much like a pen to hold as possible.
You do not need much motor power for engraving.

Setmenu

Apr 4, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #14 of 22
Thanks, everyone. I knew that posting one's failures could get far more interesting than posting one's successes.

Here's my first try using the same bit as before (designed to reciprocate not rotate, so I'm misusing it) on the Flex Shaft attachment to the Dremel Rotary Tool:

Engraving2.jpg

While it definitely has issues, as a proof-of-concept I'd go out and spend $100 on the right tool, after this experiment. I'd plan the cuts on the computer, iron a laser printer negative onto the copper board, cut and drill, and be on my way. With generous design rules and carefully planned cuts, this is more appealing to me than either point-to-point wiring or chemical etching.

Apr 4, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #15 of 22
I have the Proxxon Bench Drill Press, and I've long been eyeing the accessory Proxxon Micro Compound Table, with an idea it would help drill precise circuit board holes:

web4907.jpg

Now, I'm thinking that one could use it like an etch-a-sketch for milling circuit boards, with a diamond rotary engraving bit and computer-generated instructions I play by hand like a musical score.

Edit: A brief experiment was unsatisfying. The drill doesn't latch in the down position (fixable) but is also too slow. Freehand has a certain charm, I'm going to keep searching (and taking suggestions) for the best affordable hand tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back