English liturgical music?
Apr 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
I attended my first Easter Vigil tonight, and in the middle of the Exultet, I thought, "All the liturgical music I have is in Latin (or German, in the case of Brahms's Requiem). Surely there's some good liturgical music out there in English!" So, Britten's Requiem aside, are there any good CDs out there with masses (etc.) sung in English?

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 11
41AmPzX5fyL._SS400_.jpg

4149QZY343L._SS500_.jpg

This is just one version. There are many Messiahs.

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 11
I used to go listen to bar bands and drink Guinness at the pub they built over the Dublin square where Handel first performed The Messiah in 1742. A big glass of soda water and bitters is a good curative when the third encore of "Molly Malone" gets your stomach feeling liturgical.

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 11
Other Handel oratorios are all in English - you might like to check out Samson or Theodora among others. Not that they are church music, but they are on religious themes.

Some other choices might be Orlando Gibbons

51dLoREKRPL._SS400_.jpg

or Thomas Weelkes
41AdXfj7zAL._SS400_.jpg

and others from around that time like John Blow, and many others, none of which I can think of right now. The greatest of them all is Purcell - this naxos release is a good introduction.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 11
Any mention of English-language religious choral works must include the three big oratorios by Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius; The Apostles and The Kingdom. These dramatic works, however, are more likely to be heard in concert halls than in churches. The inexpensive box set conducted by Adrian Boult is well-aclaimed. People who like this music may also turn to Belshazzar's Feast by William Walton

More intimate, and written mainly for church use, are the many motets, small cantatas and choral settings by Edmund Rubbra, an English composer who deserves to be better known: in his mostly small-scale works, Rubbra deftly underpins the text with just the right choral and instrumental color, and coaxes the most expressive power out of every word. My first recommendation is Inscape, a setting of four religious poems for chorus, harp and string orchestra.

Among the English-language choral works by John Tavener, you'll find pieces both brief (e.g. Hymn for the Dormition of the Mother of God) and sprawling (e.g. Akathist of Thanksgiving). But I find sitting though a long Tavener a trying experience.

Although it is not "liturgical" per se, I feel I should mention Michael Tippett's A Child of Our Time, a three-part oratorio modeled after Handel's Messiah, but interspersed with Negro spirituals. Tippett's concern is not primary religious, but psychological-political (namely that men project their unsavory natures to people they call their enemies, giving themselves pretexts to murder and wage war against one other; and that true salvation can only be attained when men recognise and accept their own lights and shadows). However, the music, with its woven counterpoint and its division into recitatives and arias, harks back to the Baroque liturgical tradition.

Apr 18, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #9 of 11
Apr 18, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Händel's Messiah is not liturgical music. It was not written, nor is it used as the music for a religious service. Although it is often performed in a church at Christmas or Easter, it is not performed as part of the religious service. Bach's Cantatas, on the other hand are liturgical music in the Lutheran Church. Btw, if you consider the Messiah to be liturgical music, then so too is Haydn's oratorio The Creation (Die Schöpfung), which also has an English (18th century) libretto, but is more often performed in it's German translation. John McCreesh and the Gabrieli Consort have done an excellent English language recording of the Creation.

Händel's Water Music, as well as his Music for the Royal Fireworks are not even religious themed music, so I don't know what they are doing in this thread at all.

Now, by English Liturgical Music do you mean liturgical music written in English or any music used for religious services in the Church of England? There is also English Liturgical music written in Latin (see Thomas Tallis who composed at the court of Henry VIII or Alfonso Ferrabosco who composed for his daughter, Elizabeth I). Purcell, however, composed English Liturgical Music (music used as part of a religious service) in English, such as the Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary. John Blow is another very famous composer of music for the English Liturgy.

For other music for the English Liturgy, try getting recordings by the Choir of Westminster Abbey. They have recorded much English Liturgical music, both in English and Latin. You can find recordings such as Trinity Sunday at Westminster Abbey, Elizabeth and Mary at Westminster Abbey (Sisters In Hope of the Resurrection), The Feast of St. Michael and All Angels at Westminster Abbey, The Feast of St. Edward at Westminster; as well as music composed by Elgar for religious services or other music for Church of England services to celebrate the milestones of Elizabeth II's reign.

For more music for the English Liturgy, try other Enlgish church choirs: St. Paul's Catherdral Choir for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back