End Game Rigs?
Jan 6, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #31 of 35

Quote:
Do all of those DSP features work over S/Pdif, or for that matter with a stereo DAC that only accepts stereo PCM signals? I think the best option is to use a dedicated player for computer audio anyway. Something like the Auraliti PK90 USB is very affordable. You can connect it to a DAC that has both asynch and S/Pdif inputs (DacMagic Plus, etc), and just switch the DAC back and forth between sources as necessary.

Yes, at least on X-Fi cards. I confirmed it myself with an SU-DH1, running in straight DAC mode. No Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect on the computer side, no Dolby Headphone or Pro Logic II on the SU-DH1 side. Hardly an audiophile DAC (analog output's hissy and worse than the X-Fi Titanium HD itself, though I never bought it for PC use), but that combined with RightMark 3DSound's positional test tells me all I need to know regarding the DSP effects over S/PDIF.

The PK90 USB seemed really expensive at first, being $600 $750 (wait, they INCREASED the price?), but then I realized that it's not a DAC, but a Linux-based silent HTPC with some USB ports given their own power supply and all. Might be neat to have if I could put it in a room upstairs, network it and draw the music files from my desktop downstairs, free of all the fan and hard drive noise...but I'd want a significant discount first. (My wallet's even thinner than most here.)

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #33 of 35

Quote:

The PK90 USB seemed really expensive at first, being $600 $750 (wait, they INCREASED the price?), but then I realized that it's not a DAC, but a Linux-based silent HTPC with some USB ports given their own power supply and all. Might be neat to have if I could put it in a room upstairs, network it and draw the music files from my desktop downstairs, free of all the fan and hard drive noise...but I'd want a significant discount first. (My wallet's even thinner than most here.)

The Auraliti is about 1/3 the price of a similar Sonore server. Granted there is no internal mass storage, but an external drive does not cost $1300. The USB output is provided by the SoTM USB card, which costs $300 alone if you buy one for you own DIY server, which puts the price of the server at $450, so it's not like Auraliti is making a fortune off you. It would be quite difficult to do one yourself for less.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #34 of 35

Quote:
You can also reduce the headband tension so they don't clamp at all.

I have a really small head so in my case that won't be necessary. My only comfort problem with the k1000's is when wearing them while sitting back in a comfy chair. When you lean back, they shift and pretty much fall off.

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #35 of 35
Although I'm close to what I feel will be my end game rig, it's been a long journey getting there. I only joined Head-fi the back end of 2010 but I've been listening to music via headphones seriously for over 16 years. To what I can remember the first headphone system I had was Sennheiser HD650's + Musical Fidelity X-can + Musical Fidelity CD player but I can't remember which one, I changed the X-can for a Grace M902 but in 2000 I got the SR-007mk1's + SRM-007t and 2007 I got the Esoteric x-03se. Late last year I upgraded my source to the Esoteric K-01 and January this year I got the SR-009's. Hopefully this month maybe next I'll receive the BHSE and then my journey should be close to the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back