Emu 0404 and X-fi
Oct 27, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 19
I've heard of people installing the Audigy series and EMU cards so I don't think it will be a problem. I think they installed the Audigy cards first though, so you may want to install the X-fi first. But actually I think the process names are actually different with the X-fi so I wouldn't think there would be any problems. I was going to try the same thing with my 1212m, but I don't have enough PCI slots to try it
frown.gif

Oct 27, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 19
With the X-Fi installed first, there were MAJOR problems. Emu drivers wouldn't install because they thought I didn't even have a 0404... With the A2 I could atleast install them.

Trying again tomorrow...sigh.

Oct 27, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 19
Install the X-Fi drivers first. Don't even have the EMU card called installed into the computer yet. Once drivers are installed for the X-Fi install the EMU card into your computer and install only the driver for the EMU card. DO NOT install it for the X-Fi or the game port.

-Alex-

Oct 27, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 19
That is exactly what I did. The problem was that my computer didn't recognise the 0404 until I switched it into another pci slot. Then my computer did see it. But now the driver installation said "You already have an up-to-date driver".

I know how to install drivers, I've had the 0404 and A2 working happily for a year. It seems this is more difficult (no, they have not changed their driver files STILL!). Has anyone got these working together?

Oct 27, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 19
My experience:

First the A2 + all updates. After that insert the 0404 and boot up windows. When windows asks how to install the new device, cancel it. After that install 0404. Just get the newest drivers from their website and install from those.

When it asks to overwrite files say yes (Or no. Everyone else says Don't overwrite, but if I didn't then I'd get a nice bluescreen during bootup. Only way to get past it was to remove either card from the system.). Then just bootup and hopefully everything will work as supposed.

If something goes wrong then you have to remove all traces of Creative cards from your computer and start again. That means uninstalling both cards and rebooting, maybe running the cleaner utility from the emu driver cd. After that you can try again.

Oct 31, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 19
I'm a noob, so I'm sorry if this sounds like a silly question...

I was wondering what are the benefits of having two soundcards? SLI videocards I can understand, but I've never really heard anything about soundcards. Was just curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mehtheinfernal
I was wondering what are the benefits of having two soundcards? SLI videocards I can understand, but I've never really heard anything about soundcards. Was just curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, old thread, but what the heck.
wink.gif
In this case, the likely advantage is that you can output digital signal from the X-Fi to the 0404, thus bypassing the mediocre DAC on the X-Fi. Best of both worlds, so to speak.

Maarek99 (or anyone else), could you tell me if the X-Fi XtremeMusic's (yuck!) flexijack provides S/PDIF output? I know it has line-in and mic, but I'm not sure if the S/PDIF function is input or output... thanks.

Dec 2, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
Maarek99 (or anyone else), could you tell me if the X-Fi XtremeMusic's (yuck!) flexijack provides S/PDIF output? I know it has line-in and mic, but I'm not sure if the S/PDIF function is input or output... thanks.

It's electrical s/p-dif output only, unless you buy that optional digital i/o extender thingy (http://de.europe.creative.com/shop/product.asp?prod=773).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 2, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
It's electrical s/p-dif output only, unless you buy that optional digital i/o extender thingy (http://de.europe.creative.com/shop/product.asp?prod=773).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Thanks, but I am somewhat confused - electrical S/PDIF? Is that different from digital coaxial output?
redface.gif

Dec 2, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #13 of 19
The X-fi provides digital coax. But the connector in the back is stereo. If I remember correctly left channel gives the signal. I use a 3,5mm -> 2 rca switcher and then connect the left channel to my amplifier working as a dac. Works great.

Dec 2, 2005 at 10:07 AM Post #14 of 19
That's good to hear. I was worried I might have to get that rather expensive (at 30€) I/O module to get S/PDIF output.

Dec 2, 2005 at 10:07 AM Post #15 of 19
Hey marek, I've got an X-Fi myself, and i've considered upgrading the source (either 404 or Headroom MicroDAC). How does the X-fi Analog Out > Amp compare to the 404's?

I RMAA'ed my X-fi and it scored "Excellent" in all catagories.. im not sure how 404 could improve upon that.

Regards,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back