Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Nov 6, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #601 of 903
Is there a reason why I can barely tell a difference going from my cheap Sony bdp-s380 Blu ray player via BJC coaxial cable to DC-1. The Sounds as good or better actually. Am I possibly connecting it wrong? Or would an upgrade be the better move?

I do like the sound coming from my laptop, via usb.

If I am understanding your question properly, you are running your Sony into the DC-1 with a digital connection and running your PC to the DC-1 with a different type of digital connection. In both instances you are hearing the sound of the DC-1 and not the DACs inside your sources. They should sound the same, and yes, you have both of your sources hooked up properly.

Hope that helps, and glad you're enjoying it. I think it's a fantastic DAC.
cool.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #603 of 903
Thank for your answer, but what I mean is, It sounds the same to me as my CD player alone.

Usb from the laptop sounds different than both with the same file/song.

Your CD player is probably not a good transport. For example, when playing the same CD on a cheap Toshiba CD player vs. Marantz CD5004 vs. Marantz SA-14S1, and using the digital out on all these devices to the same DAC, you will hear differences in sound. Power supply, jitter, and damping all play a part in this.

Another example is my BDP-1 sounding better than using computer (Audirvana Plus) to play the same file. They are both outputting the same file digitally to the same DAC, yet differences exist.

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #604 of 903
Right. Thanks, I wonder if a better transport wouldn't just sound better or good enough on its own compared to the dAC Well it was a hand me down. I have a better CD player that I'll try, but it's in a different location. I'm worried about transporting my transport, so I haven't tried it yet.

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #605 of 903
Right. Thanks, I wonder if a better transport wouldn't just sound better or good enough on its own compared to the dAC Well it was a hand me down. I have a better CD player that I'll try, but it's in a different location. I'm worried about transporting my transport, so I haven't tried it yet.

Emotiva has a great cd transport the ERC​-3.  Works well with the DC-1. Its on sale right now...

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #607 of 903
The Emotiva does improve with better sources. For example, I have connected the Wii analog, DIGITAL -> PS3, Bryston BDP-1, Macbook pro, Marantz CD5004, Samsung TV's digital output...all to the DC-1. With better sources, the DC-1 does render better sound. I'm not sure if it scales as well as say my Dangerous Source, although it's not something I feel picky about when considering the price and flexibility of the unit. The remote makes it for me.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #608 of 903

Emotiva has a great cd transport the ERC​-3.  Works well with the DC-1. Its on sale right now...

The Emotiva does improve with better sources. For example, I have connected the Wii analog, DIGITAL -> PS3, Bryston BDP-1, Macbook pro, Marantz CD5004, Samsung TV's digital output...all to the DC-1. With better sources, the DC-1 does render better sound. I'm not sure if it scales as well as say my Dangerous Source, although it's not something I feel picky about when considering the price and flexibility of the unit. The remote makes it for me.

I'm totally satisfied with the sound of my Emotiva DC-1, completely without the urge to go looking for anything else. At current sale prices you couldn't be better with a gun!

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #609 of 903
Hello all. Just picked up another DC-1 replace my old one.

Oh my...after not having for about a year or so now, I actually forgot how GREAT this DAC is. I knew I missed it dearly, but just got it up and running tonight. WIndows 10 > Foobar2k Wasapi event mode> USB to DC-1 > ATH-M50X, Sennheiser HD 598 & HD 419, Beats Solo2, Grado SR80i, etc.

I am being WOW'd by the DC-1 yet again. Been using Asus laptop, 5.5 gen ipod, and iphone 6 as sources in the meantime and it's not even close. Literally from the 1st track I played, it all started coming back to me. The sound is so much more relaxed and detailed at the same time. I know a lot of R2R fans don't  like delta sigma chips, claiming they have too much digital glare, but I just don't hear it with the DC-1.

Zero issues with noise/static/distortion/etc on either sync or asynch mode. In fact, no issues at all same way with my first unit. All I am getting is beautiful, beautiful music from the DC-1! I recommended this DAC before, and with the current sale, it's an even better value.

You get a 24/192 DAC, a pre-amp that even has an analog input, remote control, headphone amp, AND it's fully balanced to boot. I can't find a better deal @ $400...

Happy listening all!
cool.gif

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #610 of 903
Hello all. Just picked up another DC-1 replace my old one.

Oh my...after not having for about a year or so now, I actually forgot how GREAT this DAC is. I knew I missed it dearly, but just got it up and running tonight. WIndows 10 > Foobar2k Wasapi event mode> USB to DC-1 > ATH-M50X, Sennheiser HD 598 & HD 419, Beats Solo2, Grado SR80i, etc.

I am being WOW'd by the DC-1 yet again. Been using Asus laptop, 5.5 gen ipod, and iphone 6 as sources in the meantime and it's not even close. Literally from the 1st track I played, it all started coming back to me. The sound is so much more relaxed and detailed at the same time. I know a lot of R2R fans don't  like delta sigma chips, claiming they have too much digital glare, but I just don't hear it with the DC-1

Good having you back in the DC-1 fold. Enjoy

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #611 of 903
Thank for your answer, but what I mean is, It sounds the same to me as my CD player alone.

Usb from the laptop sounds different than both with the same file/song.

I think I can answer this - and the maybe clear up a few things.

The DC-1 is quite NEUTRAL.... which means that, overall, it doesn't have a glaringly "distinctive" sound.... it simply lets you hear whatever's there in your recording.

When "audiophiles" discuss DACs, it can be a bit confusing to non-audiophiles, because audiophiles fall into two broad groups.... 

One group wants their equipment to be as accurate as possible. (In general, studios fall into this group - at least with DACs - because they want a DAC to let them hear exactly what's there - no more and no less.) This is how we designed the DC-1; to be as accurate as possible; and we think we succeeded pretty well.

However, to answer your question, even a halfway decent CD player is pretty good (reasonable S/N ratio, reasonably flat, reasonably low THD), so going from that to an even more accurate device is going to be an incremental improvement, and how much you gain by it is going to depend on your source, and your other associated equipment, and isn't going to be "earth shatteringly dramatic". (Think of it like buying a three-foot ruler. You want a ruler to be as straight as possible, and you want the markings on it to be as accurate as possible. However, even a $5 ruler is actually pretty straight and the markings are pretty close to where they should be. Now, you can spend $100 on a "high quality machinist's ruler" and it will be even more perfectly straight, and the markings on it will be even more accurate, but, since even the cheap plastic ruler was accurate to within 1/8", even a $1 million LASER interferometer can't improve on it by more than that.) On good quality content, and with good associated equipment, the DC-1 will sound better than even most expensive "all-in-one" CD players, and that difference will be in the direction of letting you hear more or what's there, and making sure you're hearing it exactly as it's recorded, but the difference will be subtle. 

Of course, in a studio environment, like in a machinist's shop, part of what you pay for is assurance. You want a DAC that's good enough that, whether what you're listening to sounds great or not, you can be sure that you're hearing it exactly as it really is.

Incidentally, that other group of audiophiles is the ones who simply believe that their equipment should make their music sound the way they prefer it - and consider accuracy to be secondary. (This is slightly different than "subjectivists" - whose goal may or may not be accuracy, but who consider what they hear to be more important than measurements). There are a lot of DACs out there which are designed to satisfy this group; DACs which have very distinct "sound signatures", and all sorts of interesting colorations, and some of which sound very different than others. (When there is one single objective "correct", everything that approaches it tends to sound more or less the same, and the differences exist solely in the details; when you don't care about accuracy, you have a lot more room for variation, and things can sound very different. Also, as long as your goal isn't absolute accuracy, then there's no right or wrong; whatever you like is "right".)

As I mentioned, the DC-1 was designed to be accurate.... which is what we think is right for a piece of studio playback and monitoring equipment.   

Assuming the CD player is playing the bits without altering them, and your computer isn't configured to alter the signal somehow, and assuming the content itself is the same, there shouldn't be a major difference between USB and CD playback - which makes me wonder what's going on there. (You do want the DC-1 set to "asynchronous" to remove any jitter from the CD player when comparing the two.)

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #612 of 903

I think I can answer this - and the maybe clear up a few things.

The DC-1 is quite NEUTRAL.... which means that, overall, it doesn't have a glaringly "distinctive" sound.... it simply lets you hear whatever's there in your recording.

When "audiophiles" discuss DACs, it can be a bit confusing to non-audiophiles, because audiophiles fall into two broad groups.... 

One group wants their equipment to be as accurate as possible. (In general, studios fall into this group - at least with DACs - because they want a DAC to let them hear exactly what's there - no more and no less.) This is how we designed the DC-1; to be as accurate as possible; and we think we succeeded pretty well.

However, to answer your question, even a halfway decent CD player is pretty good (reasonable S/N ratio, reasonably flat, reasonably low THD), so going from that to an even more accurate device is going to be an incremental improvement, and how much you gain by it is going to depend on your source, and your other associated equipment, and isn't going to be "earth shatteringly dramatic". (Think of it like buying a three-foot ruler. You want a ruler to be as straight as possible, and you want the markings on it to be as accurate as possible. However, even a $5 ruler is actually pretty straight and the markings are pretty close to where they should be. Now, you can spend $100 on a "high quality machinist's ruler" and it will be even more perfectly straight, and the markings on it will be even more accurate, but, since even the cheap plastic ruler was accurate to within 1/8", even a $1 million LASER interferometer can't improve on it by more than that.) On good quality content, and with good associated equipment, the DC-1 will sound better than even most expensive "all-in-one" CD players, and that difference will be in the direction of letting you hear more or what's there, and making sure you're hearing it exactly as it's recorded, but the difference will be subtle. 

Of course, in a studio environment, like in a machinist's shop, part of what you pay for is assurance. You want a DAC that's good enough that, whether what you're listening to sounds great or not, you can be sure that you're hearing it exactly as it really is.

Incidentally, that other group of audiophiles is the ones who simply believe that their equipment should make their music sound the way they prefer it - and consider accuracy to be secondary. (This is slightly different than "subjectivists" - whose goal may or may not be accuracy, but who consider what they hear to be more important than measurements). There are a lot of DACs out there which are designed to satisfy this group; DACs which have very distinct "sound signatures", and all sorts of interesting colorations, and some of which sound very different than others. (When there is one single objective "correct", everything that approaches it tends to sound more or less the same, and the differences exist solely in the details; when you don't care about accuracy, you have a lot more room for variation, and things can sound very different. Also, as long as your goal isn't absolute accuracy, then there's no right or wrong; whatever you like is "right".)

As I mentioned, the DC-1 was designed to be accurate.... which is what we think is right for a piece of studio playback and monitoring equipment.   

Assuming the CD player is playing the bits without altering them, and your computer isn't configured to alter the signal somehow, and assuming the content itself is the same, there shouldn't be a major difference between USB and CD playback - which makes me wonder what's going on there. (You do want the DC-1 set to "asynchronous" to remove any jitter from the CD player when comparing the two.)

I am very interested in getting a dac-1 to use as dac only. Would you say the dac without the amp is neutral as well?

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #613 of 903
  I am very interested in getting a dac-1 to use as dac only. Would you say the dac without the amp is neutral as well?

Absolutely.... both the amp and the DAC, separately or together, are as neutral as we could make them.

(The sole exception to that is a 1 dB "low bass bump" on the amp section - which you can enable or disable with a jumper)

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #614 of 903

Absolutely.... both the amp and the DAC, separately or together, are as neutral as we could make them.

(The sole exception to that is a 1 dB "low bass bump" on the amp section - which you can enable or disable with a jumper)

Thanks. I assume it is also pretty detailed. Just looking for a neutral, detailed dac with balanced outs to pair with my modded Gustard H10.

I have a request for international quote into you guys over the weekend, hopefully I hear back soon:)

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #615 of 903
  Thanks. I assume it is also pretty detailed. Just looking for a neutral, detailed dac with balanced outs to pair with my modded Gustard H10.

I have a request for international quote into you guys over the weekend, hopefully I hear back soon:)

Absolutely - the DC-1 is very detailed. (I will note that the DC-1 is as detailed as we could make it while still remaining neutral. Some Sabre DACs are detailed to the point where the detail seems exaggerated past the point of being neutral; while some people may find this pleasant with some systems, the DC-1 stops at the point of being detailed yet neutral.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back