EMF levels from 3 top headphones: Ultrasone ED10 LE, Grado GS1000i and Sennheiser HD800
Jun 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #16 of 44
You're welcome.
I did measure a whole bunch of the in the ears at the Apple store before I bought some for myself and my son.  The Shure SE530 and current SE535 was nearly over 2 milligauss and mostly near 1 milligauss with the meter smack at the transducers.
Some ear buds measured over 4 milligauss at the Apple store.

Quote:
Very intersting thread, Thanks very much for sharing with us. What i'd really like to see measured are some Orthos,  Those huge magnets and the gobs of current that are needed to run them properly... A bit disturbing if considered from this POV, Go figure.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #17 of 44
Mine was about $150, some near $200.
You can find them on amazon

Quote:
Btw, how much does a meter like yours is worth if don't mind me asking?

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #18 of 44

Quote:
don't be too sure about that.
the typical home microwave puts out 15 to 20 milligauss of EMF, within 10 seconds, heat will result.
some headphones we measured produced over 3 milligauss and typical listening sessions are for long periods.
you may want to search for articles from the New England Journal of Medicine among others concerning EMF and cancer.
I am not unique here as I am about the same age as most and have children who are not only growing up with headphones, but cell devices of all sorts.
Am I concerned over these exposures they have 24/7?  Just look at the increase of autism, cancers, and other health issues in children over the last decade.

Paul, EMF from microwave ovens is ionizing radiation, as is radiation from cordless phones, cell phones, Wi-Fi, etc..  Headphones do not emit any ionizing radiation.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #19 of 44
If a magnetic field from a pair of headphones can easily causes cancer, other mutantion and other health hazzard, think what can one of the safest medical scanning technique, MRI, can cause to your body if that is really the case.

A MRI scan can easily reach 30,000 gauss in the more powerful machines... And there is no health hazard expose to such field for a long period, except if you start throwing ferromagnetic material in the room. That won't cause cancer, just that if you are in the way you are likely to be killed by a very fast flying object.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #20 of 44
Is this so?  I thought radiation with frequencies under visible light like all the radio waves (cordless phones, cell phones, Wi-Fi, etc.) were not ionizing radiation either.  The effect should only be to heat the body up a little bit, not knock electrons out of orbit.

Quote:
Paul, EMF from microwave ovens is ionizing radiation, as is radiation from cordless phones, cell phones, Wi-Fi, etc..  Headphones do not emit any ionizing radiation.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #21 of 44
Is this so?  I thought radiation with frequencies under visible light like all the radio waves (cordless phones, cell phones, Wi-Fi, etc.) were not ionizing radiation either.  The effect should only be to heat the body up a little bit, not knock electrons out of orbit.

Microwave is not a ionizing radiation, but only causes heating effect due to its frequency. It causes dielectric heating by inducing and alternating electric dipoles moments, which a simple magmatic field from a pair of headphones with have no effect physically and medically. A magnet from a pair of headphones won't cause ferromagnetic objects comes flying at you across the room, nor heat up anything (except you start using tube amps and class A amps, which is a free room heating), it won't cause any cancer as it is not ionizing.

Taking about tube amps, vacuum tubes works on firing high energy electrons, which is in fact ionizing in a certain extend.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #23 of 44
A pair of electrostatic headphone should emit less radiation than any headphones with magnets. By its principle of its operation, it merely a membrane attracted/repulse to a grid where it have a high potential difference, the current running through them will be very low. It shouldn't effect much of you, well, might move a staticy hair or two, but it shouldn't have any effect. It simply does not have a constant magnetic field that dynamic headphones have.

Not that dynamic headphones have any hazard or effects on the human body except providing music to your ears anyway.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #24 of 44
I think the high levels of distortion and horrid frequency response you are exposing your son to with the ED10 are probably a lot more harmful than the EMF exposure from even the LCD-2.  It will pollute his senses and rot his brain much faster. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #25 of 44

Quote:

You're right.  I was using the term rather loosely.  I would not subject myself to enough energy, truly ionizing or not, to agitate the molecules in my body enough to raise their temperature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionizing_radiation

From Wiki:
Roughly speaking, particles or photons with energies above a few electron volts (eV) are ionizing, no matter what their intensity.
Examples of ionizing particles are alpha particlesbeta particlesneutrons, and cosmic rays. The ability of an electromagnetic wave (photons) to ionize an atom or molecule depends on its frequency, which determines the energy of its associated particle, the photon. Radiation on the short-wavelength end of the electromagnetic spectrum—high-frequency ultravioletX-rays, and gamma rays—is ionizing, due to its composition of high-energy photons. Lower-energy radiation, such as visible light, infrared, microwaves, and radio waves, are not ionizing.[1]The latter types of low-energy non-ionizing radiation may damage molecules, but the effect is generally indistinguishable from the effects of simple heating.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #26 of 44

Quote:
Quote:

Microwave is not a ionizing radiation, but only causes heating effect due to its frequency. It causes dielectric heating by inducing and alternating electric dipoles moments, which a simple magmatic field from a pair of headphones with have no effect physically and medically. A magnet from a pair of headphones won't cause ferromagnetic objects comes flying at you across the room, nor heat up anything (except you start using tube amps and class A amps, which is a free room heating), it won't cause any cancer as it is not ionizing.

Taking about tube amps, vacuum tubes works on firing high energy electrons, which is in fact ionizing in a certain extend.

Actually, a typical vacuum tube doesn't "fire" electrons at anything, simplistically, they boil off from the heated cathode and are attracted by the anode and their flow modulated by the grid potential.

A cathode ray tube (CRT) can more correctly be thought of as "firing" electrons as a shaped, focused, and deflected beam at the anode (face of the crt.)  The HV rectifier tube also can produce x-rays because of the energy involved.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #27 of 44

Quote:
I think the high levels of distortion and horrid frequency response you are exposing your son to with the ED10 are probably a lot more harmful than the EMF exposure from even the LCD-2.  It will pollute his senses and rot his brain much faster. 
evil_smiley.gif

LOL
basshead.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #28 of 44
LOL

Quote:
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #29 of 44
You do realize that you are worrying that magnets will cause cancer. Have you actually thought about the physics involved? How could a small static magnetic field possibly affect human cells?

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #30 of 44
Actually, a typical vacuum tube doesn't "fire" electrons at anything, simplistically, they boil off from the heated cathode and are attracted by the anode and their flow modulated by the grid potential.

A cathode ray tube (CRT) can more correctly be thought of as "firing" electrons as a shaped, focused, and deflected beam at the anode (face of the crt.)  The HV rectifier tube also can produce x-rays because of the energy involved.

You are right, I was merely using firing as general term for a electron emitter. "Firing" electron would need some kind of particle acceleration, like the plates on a CRT, but the attraction from the anode on a tube can also be seen as "accelerator". Well, I put high energy as they have higher energy than just a weak magnatic field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back