EM32, EarSonics new flagship ?
Feb 7, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #31 of 188

thank you. can't make a guess for the reason( lack of control, too much sub bass boost or maybe just bass distortion) at least what I heard was a bass boost even stronger than on the jh13 and  a lot like what you described.

so obviously not at all like that:
Quote:

Ouhhh le vilain vilain.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #32 of 188
  I like the CIEM to sound dynamic, musical and real, but still has great detail, air, layers and sparkle. Soundstage width isn't my primary concern, but I prefer a 3D space rather than a compressed one horizontally or vertically. 

With my experiences and understanding, I think the most linear frequency response can produce that, especially the in treble region.

So before (and after) I own EM32, SE5 is still my favorite CIEM. I should say "my SE5" because of the various issues we have been seeing in 5 ways and because of its complexity of 5 way crossovers. I personally heard of more than 7 se5s (two of them are mine), they do sound different from time to time. 

Stage 2 and 3 are the very those of few CIEMs that I really enjoyed after SE5. 

So to sum up the "favour", my flavour is "no - flavour", the most accurate and neutral (in my opinion) CIEM will satisfy me the most :wink:

You've heard 7 SE5's ?? That's weird. What issues do u mean by mentioning the 5-ways crossover? Did you mean the people who are not satisfied with 5-way crossovers or in general having issues with those iem's 

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #33 of 188
  You've heard 7 SE5's ?? That's weird. What issues do u mean by mentioning the 5-ways crossover? Did you mean the people who are not satisfied with 5-way crossovers or in general having issues with those iem's 

SE5 is one of the most difficult CIEMs to build. It's not easy to fit 5 drivers with 5 crossover points and to let them produce sound coherently through a narrow canal tip. How to make SE5 strongly depends on people's individual ear shape, size and etc. I was only referring to few of those particular cases that people claiming SE5 has a particular dark sounding signature with very narrow soundstage width which obviously is not the case at all from my experience. I have seen such things from the SE5 thread from time to time. Of course it might be also because of fit, pairing, personal preferences so on. 

Like I mentioned before, my two SE5s with different canal tip lengths sound different. And I have heard some of my friends' SE5s with correct isolation and inserting (but it can still vary because they are not made for my ears, so I would not rather talk about it), they didn't sound exactly the same either, and one of them sounded very dark.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #34 of 188
  SE5 is one of the most difficult CIEMs to build. It's not easy to fit 5 drivers with 5 crossover points and to let them produce sound coherently through a narrow canal tip. How to make SE5 strongly depends on people's individual ear shape, size and etc. I was only referring to few of those particular cases that people claiming SE5 has a particular dark sounding signature with very narrow soundstage width which obviously is not the case at all from my experience. I have seen such things from the SE5 thread from time to time. Of course it might be also because of fit, pairing, personal preferences so on. 

Like I mentioned before, my two SE5s with different canal tip lengths sound different. And I have heard some of my friends' SE5s with correct isolation and inserting (but it can still vary because they are not made for my ears, so I would not rather talk about it), they didn't sound exactly the same either, and one of them sounded very dark.

I understand, it is very difficult. You just need to take a look at them when they come brand new and if I consider that an untrained person tries to build this sort of iem it easily turns out into a mess. My experience is that the SE5's are very sensitive to fitting issues, so it could be that you didn't have the perfect seal. Having them in my ears without adjusting them with my fingers, they turn out sounding really different...

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #35 of 188
  I understand, it is very difficult. You just need to take a look of them if they come brand new and if I consider that an untrained person tries to build this sort of iem it easily turns out into a mess. My experience is that the SE5's are very sensitive to fitting issues, so it could be that you didn't have the perfect seal. Having them in my ears without adjusting them with my fingers, they turn out sounding really different...

Yep, I think most of the cases would be failure of good fit. Some of those case get sorted.

Personally I think I am experienced on how to insert a CIEM (even they are not mine) to obtain a great seal to get the most unaffected sound.  And IMO CIEMs do not need a perfect fit to sound right. Unless the canal angles and thickness were completely off, they will be fine. Some of my CIEMs have tight fitting, especially in concha areas, but they don't affect the sound in any way. 

My SE5 (with great fit) with longer canal tips sounded darker than the one with shorter tips (with great fit). I have another SE5 coming in soon actually, I will compare the very new one with my 2 years old SE5.

Anyways, it's not the point I was trying to make, I wanted to say I absolutely love my SE5.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #36 of 188
  Yep, I think most of the cases would be failure of good fit. Some of those case get sorted.

Personally I think I am experienced on how to insert a CIEM (even they are not mine) to obtain a great seal to get the most unaffected sound.  And IMO CIEMs do not need a perfect fit to sound right. Unless the canal angles and thickness were completely off, they will be fine. Some of my CIEMs have tight fitting, especially in concha areas, but they don't affect the sound in any way. 

My SE5 (with great fit) with longer canal tips sounded darker than the one with shorter tips (with great fit). I have another SE5 coming in soon actually, I will compare the very new one with my 2 years old SE5.

Anyways, it's not the point I was trying to make, I wanted to say I absolutely love my SE5.

Haha, me too. I just have two ciem's to compare and never had an iem from somebody else in my ear. 

But I do suffer from the so called "upgradeitis". Tralucent 1p2 or VE S5 will be my next disease...

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #37 of 188
EM32 to my ears is a bass heavy CIEM, specially on the source that lacks power. It's pretty difficult to drive. The impact of mid - lower bass is very strong, that can rumble on top of mid and treble on some songs. I do appreciate the bass power I just hope it was a little better controlled. Well em32 only has a big single bass driver. I guess I can't ask too much. The bass type is like stage's, but with more power and slower decay.

Hello,

I listen to my EM 32 with the DX-50 and 100. Specially with the dx-100, I don't find the bass to be lacking controll or to be "sub" bass heavy at all, it's quite the opposite to me.... punchy, accurate, natural, airy, well controlled and fast and most important, never overblowing other frequencies (almost to my ears), but I surelly have less experience in CIEM's than you Tupac but I find the EM 32's bass to be at least, the best bass of all IEM's and CIEm's in my list. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #38 of 188
I have another SE5 coming in soon actually, I will compare the very new one with my 2 years old SE5.

Maybe you want to give away your old SE5 to someone, for example me:D Of course, just kidding.

Back to the thread, tupac did you have a chance to listen to Custom Art pro330 and could compare them with EM32?

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #39 of 188
Maybe you want to give away your old SE5 to someone, for example me:D Of course, just kidding.

Back to the thread, tupac did you have a chance to listen to Custom Art pro330 and could compare them with EM32?

Hi Krismarzyk,

I have both and and I can, with difficulties, say that the EM32 are technically better than the pro330 but really near in terms of note weight, details and musicality. Nevertheless in terms of tones the EM32 is a bit more realistic on voices, bass drums and cymbals, eg,  due to a better extension and transparency.

But the note weight is very similar. The attack and decay of the EM32 is a bit slower than what the pro330 know to do and in the same time both can offer almost the same level of details but the EM32 have a better sense of details and resolution because of his transparency. With both you seem to hear a speaker but the difference is that the EM32 are the speaker and the pro330 sit you in front of the speaker.

The sound signature is different as the pro330 are more focused on high mids versus the EM32 that are more focused on bass mids/sub bass. Both have liquid treble and smooth mids that are absolutely not sibilant, that's why I love them both at the same level : they are complementing each other. Both are bass capable and offer an organic restitution that can rumble when bass are called for it. In terms of quantity the EM32 offer more sub bass, the pro330 more high mids.

The sense of transparency on both is top class, but the EM32 are more clear, less veiled, and bring more resolution on timbres. But both have the same philosophy of sound, they tune their CIEM in the same way of naturalness with a different touch on the sound signature.

Regarding to the soundstage the pro330 are more in the head, less width and deep but their deepness is just well done and airy. The EM32 is a bit more realistic in terms of instruments position.

As I say above, the musicality, the restitution of harmonics impressed me on both. Piotr and Franck have tuned their CIEM with golden hands and ears, they know how sound an instrument and where on the graph.

To my mind the EM32 are a good bang for the buck CIEM, but the pro330 even more. I can explain myself why I pay 300€ more for the EM32, but imo pro330 have to cost 800€ instead of 575€.

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #41 of 188

Rudi did it for you :wink:

Hello,

I listen to my EM 32 with the DX-50 and 100. Specially with the dx-100, I don't find the bass to be lacking controll or to be "sub" bass heavy at all, it's quite the opposite to me.... punchy, accurate, natural, airy, well controlled and fast and most important, never overblowing other frequencies (almost to my ears), but I surelly have less experience in CIEM's than you Tupac but I find the EM 32's bass to be at least, the best bass of all IEM's and CIEm's in my list. 

Hello

Many thanks for the input.
I will try the DX100 when I have time. 

I have tried the less powerful ZX1, and the high end desktop Anedio D2 (which bring the most out of all of my CIEMs).  EM32 has a warm signature with very powerful bass and I am actually a bass lover~. By the way my favourite genres of music is hip hop and pop. Maybe that contribute to the heavy bass a little bit, though I don't hear them in my other CIEMs with neutral bass. 

I will keep on running them and see if the bass settles a little bit. So you prefer EM32's bass over EM6's? EM6 might not sound as neutral as EM32 in terms of sound signature, but bass is one of the best I have ever heard for sure, and I prefer it over EM32's if I can still remember it correctly :)

Cheers

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #42 of 188
  Rudi did it for you :wink:
Hello

Many thanks for the input.
I will try the DX100 when I have time. 

I have tried the less powerful ZX1, and the high end desktop Anedio D2 (which bring the most out of all of my CIEMs).  EM32 has a warm signature with very powerful bass and I am actually a bass lover~. By the way my favourite genres of music is hip hop and pop. Maybe that contribute to the heavy bass a little bit, though I don't hear them in my other CIEMs with neutral bass. 

I will keep on running them and see if the bass settles a little bit. So you prefer EM32's bass over EM6's? EM6 might not sound as neutral as EM32 in terms of sound signature, but bass is one of the best I have ever heard for sure, and I prefer it over EM32's if I can still remember it correctly :)

Cheers

Thank you Tupac. 

Yes, to me, bass on EM 32 are more airy, naturals, detailled textured, layered than the EM6 and S-EM6. Bass is capable to surround you with EM 32, like with real speakers.... in terms of soundstage, some sub details can circulate "hout of the head" like if you were in a real room or stadium when music calls for it... with EM6, some bass details can sometimes remains "conmpressed", inexistant or in the head, some times it can also lack a little bit height, dept, lateralisation and weight in the sub region.... (to my ears). 

I also listen a little bit of Hip Hop (I was an old school Hip Hop fan (90s)) and a little bit of actual underground french RAP and it's clear that this kind of compressed electronic music samples is created from the start for "standard" audio equipment (it's mainly the "mainstream" listener aimed, not necessary audiophile like with Jazz or classic for example)... To my ears, it's quite impossible to ear "93 til infinity" from souls of mischief for example with the EM 32, bass bleed all over, very slow (but what an excellent track..:wink:)... but it's not EM 32's fault... it's the poor quality productions of some Hip Hop mastering sound and the bass is really bad in this track recording, I think.

I think the EM 32 is very source dependent and will be terrific with poor quality mastering. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #43 of 188

Thank you Tupac. 

Yes, to me, bass on EM 32 are more airy, naturals, detailled textured, layered than the EM6 and S-EM6. Bass is capable to surround you with EM 32, like with real speakers.... in terms of soundstage, some sub details can circulate "hout of the head" like if you were in a real room or stadium when music calls for it... on the EM6, some bass details sometimes remains congested, inexistant or in the head, some times it can also lack a little bit height, dept, lateralisation and weight in the sub region.... (to my ears). 

I also listen a little bit of Hip Hop (old school, 90s) and a little bit of underground french Hip Hop and it's clear that this kind of music tend from the recording to compress sound just to suit with "standard" audio equipment (it's the mainstream listener aimed, not necessary audiophile like with Jazz or classic)... To my ears, it's quite impossible to ear "93 til infinity" from souls of mischief for example with the EM 32, bass bleed all over, very slow (but what an excellent track..:wink:)... but it's not EM 32's fault... it's the poor quality productions of some Hip Hop mastering sound I think. 

Yes, I also think the bass is detailed and textured too. Strange I think EM6 had better bass in terms of depth, extension and weight. It was also more dynamic than the EM32's. Actually EM32's bass sounds almost the same as EM6's just not with the airiness due to EM32's more linear and lifted mid-treble region. Both EM32 and EM6 to my ears go into the category of bass - heavy CIEMs.

By the way 93 til infinity is a classic album . just a bit too old school :wink: anything after 95, I am very into them, like The infamous, KRS ONE, Moment of truth, etc :)

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #44 of 188
  Yes, I also think the bass is detailed and textured too. Strange I think EM6 had better bass in terms of depth, extension and weight. It was also more dynamic than the EM32's. Actually EM32's bass sounds almost the same as EM6's just not with the airiness due to EM32's more linear and lifted mid-treble region. Both EM32 and EM6 to my ears go into the category of bass - heavy CIEMs.

By the way 93 til infinity is a classic album . just a bit too old school :wink: anything after 95, I am very into them, like The infamous, KRS ONE, Moment of truth, etc :)

Also like KRS one, Gangstarr (RIP),Leaders of the New School, Lords of the Underground, Tribe called Quest, Group Home, Naughty by Nature, tha Alcaholics tipe of sound...but all these are difficult to me to listen with Iem's or Ciem's due to poor quality mastering production... 

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #45 of 188
Damn I did not know I had fellow hip hip fans around...you down wit OPP yeah you know me !

More recently the Black Hippy crew with Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy Q are rockin it.

I wonder if you guys like different bass or if you EM32 sound different...maybe some burn in? Or source? Or cable? I am conflicted because I am interested in these and listen to a lot of modern poorly mastered music....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back