Elysian Pilgrim
May 21, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #286 of 588
And voila, just like that - Noirs are in the house! I'm going to let them settle in by letting them run overnight - before I try to make any comparative notes but off the bat they too look stunning and the EA Eros S cable makes a difference 1) its a 4.4 Balanced Connection vs the 3.5 that came with the OG and 2) its clearly a higher end.
More to Follow.

IMG20240521155427.jpg

Interesting. My OG came with 4.4 connector.

I’m so jealous seeing everyone get their Pilgrims 😭 where is mine?

643017FF-7681-4F45-A316-F75DAB891C58.jpeg

May 21, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #287 of 588
Those who got Pilgrim or Noir, enjoy this: one of my favorite movie sound tracks (both female and male):

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #288 of 588
With the OG you can pick 3.5 or 4.4.

I have to say it feels like the noire was totally a response to the feedback for the Pilgrim from CanJams, as it was announced not long after the NYC one. There was not even a hint of the noire mentioned that Canjam.

The feedback for the Pilgrim was that they were excellent but a little too hot in the treble for some people and they preferred a little more mid emphasis in general.

All of a sudden before the actual even Pilgrim got released there was now a second version of it coming out. Exactly to those specs. Voila.

If the timeline is correct and it seems like it is, the noire was put together quite quickly.

Not saying that's a bad thing but also saying that getting an $800 product to market can be pretty quick if the motivation and skills are there.

They saw the hype and responded quickly. These things can happen quickly and still be well received.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #289 of 588
With the OG you can pick 3.5 or 4.4.

I have to say it feels like the noire was totally a response to the feedback for the Pilgrim from CanJams, as it was announced not long after the NYC one. There was not even a hint of the noire mentioned that Canjam.

The feedback for the Pilgrim was that they were excellent but a little too hot in the treble for some people and they preferred a little more mid emphasis in general.

All of a sudden before the actual even Pilgrim got released there was now a second version of it coming out. Exactly to those specs. Voila.

If the timeline is correct and it seems like it is, the noire was put together quite quickly.

Not saying that's a bad thing but also saying that getting an $800 product to market can be pretty quick if the motivation and skills are there.

They saw the hype and responded quickly. These things can happen quickly and still be well received.
Thats the No. 1 thing I noticed today when I took the time to do some critical listening. With wide bore tips both the OG and Noir were too hot in the treble for me. Going down to a Medium Bore tip (SpinFit100 and Stock IMR tips) or even small bore tip (Final E) took the sizzle right off.... on both of them. I've had the Final E in my aresenal for almost 5 years and this is the first IEM I've like them with. They work with my Xelentos but cause too much driver flex - with the 6 venting holes on the Pilgrim - There is absolutely no driver flex.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #290 of 588
Anyone using Tri Clarion? that's my first tip used, will be tip rolling later, but so far so good.

May 21, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #291 of 588
Anyone using Tri Clarion? that's my first tip used, will be tip rolling later, but so far so good.
I stick to Tri Clarion as well. Comfortable and preserve the integrity of treble information

May 21, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #292 of 588
I just ordered a ConX ear connector so that I can cable roll the Pilgrim with Code 24, should have ordered more options when I bought Code 24, never though I need more than 2pin and MMCX.

May 21, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #294 of 588
@warrenpchi That is correct, no changes were made to the Pilgrim's tuning since CanJam NYC. However at that point in time, the stock cable has not been confirmed. The prototype Pilgrim was hooked to random Effect Audio Signature Series cable.

- Jordon
That is surprising to hear. This production unit sounds noticeably more reserved than what I heard in New York, and the difference in measurement is significant. I shared my production unit with another audio reviewer this weekend who also heard the NYC unit, and seemed to agree.

I don't suppose there's a significant impedance difference between stock cable and the one used in New York, is there?

Attachments

• graph (13).png
    graph (13).png
    293.7 KB · Views: 0
May 22, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #295 of 588
I just ordered a ConX ear connector so that I can cable roll the Pilgrim with Code 24, should have ordered more options when I bought Code 24, never though I need more than 2pin and MMCX.
Can't you remove the connector from the stock cable and attach to Code 24? This is doable with the Eros cable with Noir.

May 22, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #297 of 588
Perhaps some additional info from the Effect Audio website:

With the PILGRIM:NOIR, we have introduced three new technologies alongside other upgrades:

- The exclusive Hypercore Twin Thrust Module enhances midrange sound reproduction.
- The new Undamped Tubeless Knowles Balanced Armature ensures an exceptionally smooth high-frequency response.
- An additional crossover is added to a new 4-way crossover design.
- Upgraded the internal wiring.
- Upgraded custom Eros S stock cable alongside a full suite of premium accessories.

May 22, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #298 of 588
Can't you remove the connector from the stock cable and attach to Code 24? This is doable with the Eros cable with Noir.
For Noir, you can since you got the Effect cable; for Pilgrim, its cable is some generic cheap one.

May 22, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #299 of 588
I've got to say, I'm really enjoying these little Piglims! I've got about 50 hours on them and they sound beautiful. They do like power. It's the only IEM I'm running on High Gain both desktop and portable to give them extra juice to extract all the goodness from them. They will play nice on low gain but the extra power does benefit them. I do believe that as more of these units make their way into people's homes the praise is going to start rolling in. They are very well vented so the initial impressions coming off the floor at CANJAM for both these and the Noirs can be considered indicators but with all that noise, they can't be entirely valid. As the hours have mounted, to my ear they have become more refined. So too has the depth and width of the soundstage ever so slightly increased but more than that, the textures in the sub and mid bass have gotten more tactility. The graph shown above would indicate a rolled off treble response but I'm finding the treble in perfect balance with the supplied SpinFit 100s. Tips make a big difference on pretty much every IEM and I usually go foor a wide bore open tip like Azla Sedna Earfit or Crystal, Tenmak Whirlwind, of Divinus Velvet - but on the Pilgrim, I've gone the opposite. Wide bore tips make the treble too hot for me but the Spinfits or Final E seem perfect. Shortly, the Noir will be in the house and I'll be able to contrast them..... For now, I'm finding the Pilgrim OG to be a beautiful addition to the collection.
Just ordered my set of OG Pilgrim so very thankful for your impressions

May 22, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #300 of 588
For Noir, you can since you got the Effect cable; for Pilgrim, its cable is some generic cheap one.
It’s like Lee ran out of budget when reaching the cable after making the earpieces and designing the box 😂

So it seems the Pilgrim OG has 1BA mid and 2BA highs, 3 way crossover. The Pilgrim Noir has 2BA mid and 1 undampened Knowles supertweeter right in the nozzle, 4 way crossover.

It seems these IEMs share only the name, the shells, and the DD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back