Electrocompaniet ECD-1's insides and other stuff
Jan 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
I got so lucky to have a deal on an Electrocompaniet ECD1. It'll take a while to ship to Finland and meanwhile I can think out how to get it 230V-ready. The sold piece is configured for 110V but I emailed with Electrocompaniet and they said it's easily modificated for 230V mains.

I don't have much of skills in soldering or similar, but if I had quality pictures of the inside of the ECD1 I could determine if I can do it myself or have it fixed in a store. Does anyone have it?

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for looking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately these pics tell me nothing. So perhaps the search is still on.
On the other hand, what should I be looking for?

Edit:
See this was what I was given:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrocompaniet Service
Yes, but the primary coils must be reconnected for 220V (connected in serial)

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 19
Changed the subject to more convenient as I didn't first recognize that ECD1 isn't actually very popular piece here. Yeah, it's a bit expensive but there is a lot of discussion about other expensive gear as well.

It's on the way. Actually it's still on the run to the contact in the US from which it continues traveling to Finland. Enough of that.

I see it's very liked DAC and has solid sound. Close to, if not better than the one of Wadia 581. I'm thrilled. And it has not got a good review. Perhaps I should try and compose something. My older review wasn't much liked but perhaps now I succeed better.

Btw, I wonder why they didn't put digital inputs to the EMC1. I'd like to buy a CD player with digital inputs so it would double-act as a DAC and CDP. I'm quite sure I'll buy a Wadia i for the digital inputs.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about getting a dedicated PSU that outputs 110v? Might be possible.
evil_smiley.gif

A power filter you say? Hmm, why not. I've seen these that can take from 110 to 260 volts and output 110 v. It's just the cost issue.

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 19
Yes but these PSUs are switching ones, which for some audiophiles (not me) is swearing in church. I think that it is not very hard for a technician to convert your DAC to 230V. It most likely has a transformer inside with double primary windings. This means that to save cost, it uses the same transformer, regardless of the situation (110V/230V). Only one of the primary windings is connected to the power inlet however, in your case the winding for 110V. A technician can easily disconnect that one and connect the other winding (for 230V) to the power inlet and that would be all.

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 19
Even though a dedicated PSU is nice Mich is probably right. Try looking for a modder somewhere near you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It most likely has a transformer inside with double primary windings. This means that to save cost, it uses the same transformer, regardless of the situation (110V/230V). Only one of the primary windings is connected to the power inlet however, in your case the winding for 110V. A technician can easily disconnect that one and connect the other winding (for 230V) to the power inlet and that would be all.

Dual 115V primaries would be connected in parallel for 115V operation and in series for 230V operation. See, e.g., Hammond Mfg. - Basic Transformer Hook Up Data.

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oskari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dual 115V primaries would be connected in parallel for 115V operation and in series for 230V operation. See, e.g., Hammond Mfg. - Basic Transformer Hook Up Data.

Got it now... perfectly. I've had my courses about electricity but these risks that might cost me a fine DAC confuse my thinking
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll probably open it myself, take a few shots and post them here for opinion. If it looks confusing, I'll take it to an "electricity smith" who does the job.

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a thread in another online forum with internal pics (link removed in adherance to HF rules)

Hello,
I've been looking and can't find te rules. Where are these at? I'm sure I'm looking right at them?

Never mind, posted it and then found them at the bottom of the page.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 19
Let's bump this a little.
I went to customs today. Too bad the lady at the counter wouldn't give me my babe. But buy did she look fine! And I do mean the ECD1 by that.

I'm gonna have some sort of receipt from somewhere and go back on Monday. :/

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 19
Customs here in Finland have turned incredibly picky, I noticed some time ago. When I bought VHP2, I couldnt get it at first because I didnt have any receipt about how much I paid about it. I had to print a page from my Paypal account to show how much I paid. They have made dealings between non-company persons unnecessarily difficult...

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 19
And considering how weak evidence a printed paypal receipt is.
They accepted a forwarded email [paypal report] when I had to proof my soundcard wasn't über expensive. An email that can be written just like that. It has no means to ensure it's original or legitimate authentication of purchase.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

And considering how weak evidence a printed paypal receipt is.

Yeah. Like paying the item in two smaller parts already fools this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back