Eggleston Works
Jan 19, 2006 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sleestack

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone ever hear the Andra IIs or the Savoys?

Jan 19, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 6
AA wasn't much help, but I was able to find some other resources. I've learned that the Savoys require a much larger space than is practical for me in a 5 matching speaker HT setup. They require much more power than I want to deal with. Also, at $40K a pair, the $100K price tag is more than I am looking to spend.

The Andra IIs on the other hand seem to be a perfect fit for me. They use the same tweeter as the one on the Merlin TSM-MXs I use and would fit my space perfectly. They get unanimously glowing reviews and are used as a reference speaker by several major studios. The Andra IIs are also relatively easy to drive, which is important b/c I'm using TACT's BOZ 216/2200 digital amps which only put out 200watts per monoblock. Also, they are more reasonable at $19K/ pair, which would allow me to use 5 matching speakers in my HT setup.

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 6
I've heard the Andra IIs twice, both times at dealers.
The first time I heard them, I was impressed; the speakers disappeared very nicely, even though the room seemed on the small side and they were pretty close to the wall. Nice soundstage, very smooth, a little on the warm side.

The second time I was much less impressed; they seemed very ordinary sounding and unmemorable. I had just been listening to MBLs and I found the Andras quite dull by comparison.

I take away the need to set these speakers up well and optimize the accompanying equipment.

Jan 20, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calanctus
I've heard the Andra IIs twice, both times at dealers.
The first time I heard them, I was impressed; the speakers disappeared very nicely, even though the room seemed on the small side and they were pretty close to the wall. Nice soundstage, very smooth, a little on the warm side.

The second time I was much less impressed; they seemed very ordinary sounding and unmemorable. I had just been listening to MBLs and I found the Andras quite dull by comparison.

I take away the need to set these speakers up well and optimize the accompanying equipment.

Its tough to make a judgment at a dealer. They rarely have it set up right and the listening material always makes a huge difference on my impressions. That being said, thanks for your input.

The fact that they were and A rated Stereophile component and the speakers used by Crest National studios tells me they have to pretty good. More importantly, my dealer and I have very similar tastes and he swears by them. I'll be running them through a TACT TCS MKII, so w/ the added benefit of room correction and precise crossover control, I'm expecting them to excel... that is if I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back