EFFFFFFF... The death of a headphone.
Apr 13, 2010 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Landis

Headphoneus Supremus
I believe my K601s blew/lost connection to their right driver. Put them on this afternoon and no response from that channel. HE-5 and SRH840s work out of both drivers... I just cried a little. In the past year, these guys have been my go to headphone for almost any genre out of love of the sound signature and ridiculous levels of comfort. Also, upon inspection, I realized that the thin plastic support for the headband (not the main one with the logos, but the clear one underneath) had broken in two places... She had been hurting all this time and I didn't even notice!

Should I let the death of a headphone be the birth of another or continue my baby's legacy with a shiny new K601?

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 20
As far as I know, they're not within warranty (purchased used) and the cost of a driver + having someone do the work and replacing the pads (which was on my to do list) will rack up pretty close to a used or even new price in some cases.

I'll see if I can't dig into the headphones tonight and confirm that the solder is still holding up or not to help determine exact issue.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 20
Considering that 95% of the time it's a wire issue (inside or outside the headphones) that causes one side to stop working, I'm not sure why one would jump to the conclusion that its the driver that failed, which is fairly uncommon on AKGs.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 20
Are you sure the drivers are that expensive? My Sennheiser HD-595s developed a rattle in one of the drivers. I seem to remember the replacement driver costing only ~$20.

I ran pink noise through the new driver only and they now sound balanced.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 20
He is trying to get some excuses for new headphone
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Well in that case trash them
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 20
Light a few incenses, offer a fat goat to Allah, should be good as new at dusk.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 20
Pepsi, that made me laugh. Yeah I will help with the addiction. Trash them and buy new one's. You will feel better that way. LOL

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Shhh... Don't let them know!

Well, I found the service manual for the K601s/K701s and ran into some issues while trying to take off the back grill-- well, issue being I can't get it off. Any recommendation on tool of choice, Fitz? The sharp nose tweezers that AKG recommends didn't have a satisfactory effect.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #14 of 20
Recable time!

[size=xx-small](Also, why is K601 a "she" if "she" has a plug? Then someone called an amp a "he" in a thread title when the amp clearly has no plugs but sockets instead... ITT confuse genders/genderbending ... what the LOL)[/size]

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shhh... Don't let them know!

Well, I found the service manual for the K601s/K701s and ran into some issues while trying to take off the back grill-- well, issue being I can't get it off. Any recommendation on tool of choice, Fitz? The sharp nose tweezers that AKG recommends didn't have a satisfactory effect.

Round, pointy tweezers work like a charm if used right. You do have to spread the tweezers pretty wide and put them in the outer holes, and you do have to twist very hard to get it loose. It's not a difficult process, but until you've done it once or twice it'll seem like you're using too much force to get it off. I bought a handful of these a while ago that I use specifically for this. They're cheap so if it gets a little bent up in the process it's no big loss. They also go pretty deep in the holes, so there's less chance of them slipping and scratching the grille.

Maybe next time I have a K601 or K701 here I'll remember to make a video of the disassembly or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back