Educate a potential UE purchaser
Dec 2, 2005 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

D555

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm intrigued by UE products. I do not use external amplifiers.

My main portable devices are:

Sony D-NE10
Sony MZ-RH10
Sony NW-E507

Portable headphones:
Sennheiser PX-100
Sony 70EX
Sony 81EX

Generally, I like the sound of these headphones. In my veiw, the PX-100 have decent bass and a relaxed high-end, the 81EX have OK bass and a more aggressive mid/high, while the 70EX seem to a balance between the two and not aggressive at any extreme. My favorite amongst the three is the PX-100.

Major dislike / dealbreaker: residual background hiss.

Using the above portable headphones I do not experience objectionable background hiss with the listed portable devices. Are the UE especially revealing concerning portable device background hiss? How would UE models compare against the listed headphones. The sensitivity rating is 119db so, it does concern me.

Thanks for any comments!

Paul

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 4
I think the background hiss depends quite a bit on the source along with headphone. Not sure you want to limit the headphones you want by but ok. Maybe others members will say more on this one. Why are you only looking at UE anyway? I find them to be a good choice just curious. Which model?

any canal headphone is going to pick up more hiss then actual headphones.

Dec 2, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks Chris!

I agree hiss depends upon the source device, thus the listing of my main portable sources. I also use the Sony D-555, MZ-N10, SRF-M97 and others. The M97 has a bit more residual hiss than the other devices, in my experience. I like to keep the portable hi-fi simple and not pursue extensive modifications or add bulk.

I like canalphones from a portability and design standpoint and the UE look especially interesting, though I am open to Shure as well. Didn't want to try to cover too much territory. Both brands are available "off the shelf" in my location. I'm looking to upgrade and move to the next level in sound quality.

The UE super.fi 5 pro or EB have my attention.

Price range $250 or below.

Paul

Dec 2, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by D555
Thanks Chris!

I agree hiss depends upon the source device, thus the listing of my main portable sources. I also use the Sony D-555, MZ-N10, SRF-M97 and others. The M97 has a bit more residual hiss than the other devices, in my experience. I like to keep the portable hi-fi simple and not pursue extensive modifications or add bulk.

I like canalphones from a portability and design standpoint and the UE look especially interesting, though I am open to Shure as well. Didn't want to try to cover too much territory. Both brands are available "off the shelf" in my location. I'm looking to upgrade and move to the next level in sound quality.

The UE super.fi 5 pro or EB have my attention.

Price range $250 or below.

Paul

I think the UE super.fi 5 pro are a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back