Edition 8, Whats the point?
Dec 28, 2011 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TruBrew

500+ Head-Fier
I am not trying to start a fight by that, I am honestly wondering. I am thinking about buying a nice pair of closed/portable headphones. I don't travel much, so I am not sure the investment is worthy in the first place.

I was considering the Edition 8 because I thought it would be a top tier portable that would run well un-amped so I would not feel the need to build a full portable rig all at once. Then I remembered IEM's and looked for a comparison. From the small number of comparisons, the JH13's are much better than the Edition 8's. So where does the Edition 8 fit in? It isn't small for portable use, and it apparently does not sound as good as other isolating headphones at a lower price. The Limited Editions are possibly the best looking headphone I have seen, but that does not seem like a reason to spend that kind of money. 

For about the same price I can get a JH-3A. I have no desire to actually spend that much, but knowing myself, I may. I have seen little in comparison to the Thunderpants. I am very interested in those because the price is lower, and I love my other Orthos. I am not sure how they do for travel however.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 17
where it fits....err...inside an Audi quarttro, crusing down the french riviera.
beerchug.gif

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 17
At that price, I'm pretty sure it's more of a carryable headphone than a portable headphone. I doubt you'd see anyone rocking them in public (not that it wouldn't be cool and awesome). Most of them probably end up on home headphone rigs with dedicated components.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 17
Some prefer the signaure of the JH16 over the HD800. So whats the point???

Whats THE POINT!!

Here in head-fi, nothing much makes points or sense. Its about passion.

Some dislike in ears, custom or otherwise, thus full sized is the way to go. 

Some like it open, some like it closed. Some like it shiny, and others like the smell of leather.

I do ask myself what is the point really?  I could have spent the amount required for the Limited Ed 8, on a JH16 and STILL HAVE SPARE CHANGE so whats the point??

Point is, I don't own a custom, I might, in the future, but not ATM. And when I put these edition 8s on, and hit the music, owh it all makes sense. 

Head-Fi, is all about making sense out of insanity.  

Besides, I don't think the Edition 8s are, as much as they are marketed to be, portable headphones. They, as much as their marketing touts them to be, are very very scratch prone, not scratch resistant, and are thus just TRANSportable headphones that offer more isolation and less noise leak compared to full sized desktop headphones. Not meant for walking around or commuting (cept maybe airplanes, but CIEMs do offer more isolation and comfort)

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 17
Point is not everyone digs IEMS over full sized cans, not just in terms of comfort. do you really think that the JHs, as magnificent as their sound is, are able to match the ED8's presentation in size and depth? I don't think so.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
I am thinking about buying a nice pair of closed/portable headphones. I don't travel much, so I am not sure the investment is worthy in the first place. From the small number of comparisons, the JH13's are much better than the Edition 8's. So where does the Edition 8 fit in? It isn't small for portable use, and it apparently does not sound as good as other isolating headphones at a lower price. The Limited Editions are possibly the best looking headphone I have seen, but that does not seem like a reason to spend that kind of money. 

For about the same price I can get a JH-3A. I have no desire to actually spend that much, but knowing myself, I may. I have seen little in comparison to the Thunderpants. I am very interested in those because the price is lower, and I love my other Orthos. I am not sure how they do for travel however.

ED 8 is a top tier closed headphone that offers exceptional sound with better isolation than open headphones.  For many people there is a very real point to the Edition 8.   Just because someone prefers X over Y doesn't make it universally so.

ED8 can also be used as a transportable as although it scales with amplification and source, it sounds pretty good from from a DAP.  I wouldn't buy one exclusively as a portable, as it isn't necessary IMO, but value is in the eye (wallet) of the beholder.

An IEM is an IEM (customizable or not) and they aren't for everybody, just like a motor bike isn't a car

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 17
I was thinking about buying one a while back, then after doing some more looking around started to second guess that decision. It is still on the list of headphones I would like to hear, but no longer a serious contender for purchase. I can wear open headphones at home. I don't work, and when I am done with school and do get a job I won't be able to listen to anything there anyway. 

I know people have different preferences on sound, and that the Edition 8 may be some peoples perfect sound. It is often described as the best current production closed circumaural headphone. I was just trying to figure out when that category in general is useful. It is not the best sounding isolating headphone (general consensus, I understand plenty will disagree), it is not the best full sized headphone (almost all would agree). In my mind that only leave three reason to buy it. 1) You find IEM's uncomfortable. 2) You think they sound better than IEM's 3) You think they look good, and use it more as a status symbol.

I was not looking to start an Edition 8 bashing when I started this thread, but am honestly looking for real owners opinions. Maybe I am overlooking a reason I should buy them. After all, being widely considered the best closed over the ear headphone is an impressive accomplishment. I know it looks a bit like I am bad mouthing them, but I would not be asking these questions if they did not perk my interest. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 17
No, it is not suitable for portable use, its a bit larger and heavier than you would think and its certainly not anything you want to take outside, it has an odd shape to the headband, weird > shapes above the earcups that make you look like Stewie from Family Guy.  The edition 8 sounds pretty great in the mids and highs with an absolutely fantastic amplifier and source, it requires a much better source than my HE500 and still sounds inferior. ( HE500 sounds epic right out of my Fiio E10 with Foobar )  Without it, it falls very short.  The Edition 8 to me was great mostly because of the presentation, it was that sound I wanted, it was for the lack of a better word "perfection" in that area.  Perfect location, perfect quantity of all things ( quality of the bass is highly questionable ) and overall coloration and natural sound was bar none the best I've ever heard on a closed set...  But it is worth 1/3 of its price tag for sonic quality.  This is a 75% bling, 25% great audio quality set of headphones. Its build quality is questionable and annoying at times due to excessive CREEKING sounds and the leather pads are of a common quality you can find in $75-100 headphones ( and they used a poor quality foam inside that you can get at the dollar store ) 

It is in fact the best closed back available but it is not worth it at that price for portable use.  It really isn't anything comparable to any good open back from Audeze or Hifiman either.  There are a few users who swear by it and place it near LCD2 / HE500 level of awesomness and I scratch my head and say no, it really isnt.  I raved about them not too long ago and I feel immensely stupid for doing so.  $1400 for them is about a thousand too much.  The Sony Z1000 is comparable to my ears and it can be had for under $400 these days.  I am debating finding my Edition 8 thread and editing it off head fi forever.  One side of my set had bass bloated problems, massive rattling and the small material screen on the face of the driver plate was loose and would float upward and touch my ear when bass was moderately strong.  I am a bit upset by them because about a month ago I got to listen to them again side by side with some other cheaper portables through some decent gear and wanted to vomit. 

I am not too proud to admit I was so excited in my review of it because it was exactly that sound I wanted in a closed back, but in reality I was extremely unhappy with the price tag.  $1400? Ehh...massive price gouge.  Isolation was excellent, one of the best, if not THE Best at isolation I've ever seen.  But if thats what you want, there are so many cheaper solutions.  If you want to do the Edition 8 justice, you'll need at least the same price in amplifiers and sources in something like the SR71B ( like $700 ) and a hifiman HM801 or Colorfly C4 which are also $700 ish.  Once you get to that point, to me it really is not even close to being worth it.  Best to try to listen to it before you buy it, I know thats hard to do but at that price point I could fly out to another state, demo it at a store that has it, stay at a hotel, fly back and purchase an Lcd2 or Hifiman HE500 on the flight home.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 17
I remember once Dad commented on my gear, warning me that there are some gears that should only exist in the show room (and that I should never think of buying them). Maybe, the Ed8's reason is to demonstrate what Ultrasone can achieve: their flagship sound quality. It is also more towards a luxurious headphone as the same as a lot of other headphones on headfi. So what's the point of driving to uni/grocery shopping with a Ferrari, I guess they have the same answer.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 17
For me? One word.

Swag
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #12 of 17
I just sent payment on a pair of ED8 Palladiums, so I guess I'd chime in here.

I needed a pair of closed headphones for those times where I need isolation. Since these will be my main closed headphones, I'd need something that has a versatile sound sig that works with most genres. 

The offerings in the closed high-end market is limited -- ED8, D7000, W5000, Thunderpants. The ED8 edged everything out in my eyes because it's relatively easy-to-drive, so I can carry it with me around the house or out to a coffee shop or a weekend trip -- basically, times where I don't want to be tied to my main rig. Custom IEMs never appealed to me because of how limited its usage is. I can't share the headphones, can't lend them to a friend for a weekend, can't take them off my head and say, "hey, check out this song...". 

Will the ED8 give me the best sound quality at its price range? Of course not. Will it provide the more isolation than similar priced IEMs? Nope. But the combination of (trans)portability, isolation, sound signature and ease-of-drive all conspire to make a headphone that's very easy to live with. 

All this said, I still haven't heard them yet. If the sound is anything like the lower Ultrasones I've heard (HFI-580, Pro 900), then they are getting put up for sale. I'm not expecting any LCD/HD800/HE-6/T1/Stax level of performance, but something that doesn't make me sorely miss my main rig would be considered a "win" in my book. Also, it helps that I payed $900, rather than $1400. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 17
As a previous owner, who still likes this headphone, the point is that it's a great headphone for the right person. Some people hate Ultrasones and some love them. When I bought mine, I had already had the HFI-780 and was hoping to scale up to a more refined and detailed headphone with a premium build quality. 

What I can tell you is that it is actually pretty small for an over the ear headphone. It's very comfortable and isolates quite well. It's more of a fun musical headphone than an analytical one. One the flip side, it gets smudge prints every time you touch it, the cord is rather short, and it's probably a bit pretentious looking to wear in public.

Those last couple points are what have me looking at it's new brethren, the Signature Pro.

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 17
I haven't heard of the Signature Pro, so I just googled it. From whats written on the website, it seems to be marketed for professionals. That to me says flat, not fun, as you describe the Edition 8's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back