[Edited] Top Five Reasons Why I Won't Ship International Anymore
Aug 1, 2008 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

juniperlater

1000+ Head-Fier
I have decided to change my mind about this. See post 26.

5. It is a pain. The only way to ship first class international is from the local post office. In the US, I can ship first class, media rate, etc. from paypal. International this is not the case. I have to drive to the post office.

4. No delivery confirmation. In the US, delivery confirmation costs .75 and is invaluable. It does not work outside of our border.

3. Rip offs have been 3 to 1 international. I am a trusting soul. I give people the benefit of the doubt. I have been ripped off for small amounts about 10 times. 6 have been from international buyers.

2. USPS shipping calculator is about 30% lower than it should be. People from other countries tell me what they are willing to pay for shipping based on the usps.com calculator. It is wrong about 90% of the time. When I finally go to the post office, it is about 30% higher than the estimate.

1. I almost always make less money. My several most recent dealings with international buyers cost me on average $10 per package more to ship than the international buyer was willing to pay in shipping. See #2 for reasons why. If I make $10 per package less selling to internationals, I won't do it.

Don't be surprised when I say CONUS only from now on.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 105
Cool More Opportunity for Me!

With the Dollar down the International Market is the place to be.

I’m hoping to live long enough to ship Intergalactically Then we’ll wax nostalgically about the old days when we could only sell to the planet Earth.

Mitch

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool More Opportunity for Me!

With the Dollar down the International Market is the place to be.

I’m hoping to live long enough to ship Intergalactically Then we’ll wax nostalgically about the old days when we could only sell to the planet Earth.

Mitch

I heard you're exempt from import duty if your package leaves the atmosphere during shipping.
icon10.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5. It is a pain. The only way to ship first class international is from the local post office. In the US, I can ship first class, media rate, etc. from paypal. International this is not the case. I have to drive to the post office.

What is paypal selling that you can ship from them online? I have to drive to the post office or a courier outlet if I want to ship something to someone in the same city let alone another country!

Quote:

4. No delivery confirmation. In the US, delivery confirmation costs .75 and is invaluable. It does not work outside of our border.

What country are you shipping to? There is delivery confirmation from the US to Canada via USPS/Canada Post exchange and via any of the major couriers (FedEX, UPS, DHL etc)

Quote:

3. Rip offs have been 3 to 1 international. I am a trusting soul. I give people the benefit of the doubt. I have been ripped off for small amounts about 10 times. 6 have been from international buyers.

I find this to be true too. The times I've had problems shopping online have been with American sellers. That said, I've done many transactions around the world and dozens alone with Japanese folks. Never a problem. Glad I won't exclude the world market because of a few bad experiences with shady folks south of the border - particularly since I've easily dealt with Americans the most, and I've had likely 100 flawless transactions and made quite a few friends too.

Quote:

2. USPS shipping calculator is about 30% lower than it should be. People from other countries tell me what they are willing to pay for shipping based on the usps.com calculator. It is wrong about 90% of the time. When I finally go to the post office, it is about 30% higher than the estimate.

Use DHL their estimates are far more accurate and cheaper too.

Quote:

1. I almost always make less money. My several most recent dealings with international buyers cost me on average $10 per package more to ship than the international buyer was willing to pay in shipping. See #2 for reasons why. If I make $10 per package less selling to internationals, I won't do it.

That does suck..making less money, but at the end of the day, is $10 going to kill you? For many it simply won't.

Quote:

Don't be surprised when I say CONUS only from now on.

No problem, don't be surprised when myself and others will just ignore your FS adds and moreover will ignore your bids on an item. It isn't worth our time.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 105
Wow. I expected some heat but, Zanth, that is scathing.

Will $10 kill me? On $30 worth of records? Yes. It kills the deal. On $15 worth of CDs? Yes. It kills the deal. That is the typical thing for me to sell around here. I always try to give a deal here that I would not give on ebay or amazon - an attempt at furthering community - but to end up selling a three pieces of nice vinyl for net $18 is terrible. Especially since most would go for quite a lot more on ebay.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard you're exempt from import duty if your package leaves the atmosphere during shipping.
icon10.gif

Only if it does not burn up upon re-entry, then you get a littering fine
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 105
I cant blame him really, and he shouldnt be hated on because hes being cautious about selling where our rules dont apply, and where he cant do anything legally against someone stealing.
If someone rips you off from another country, how do you go about rectifying the situation? You dont! Youre just screwed!
Look at the amp builders that owe $1000's to Head-Fi'ers from other countries, and they cant do anything about it.

Yes its a shame, and i have friends in other countries that i care about and trust, but unless i know the person pretty well, id only sell conus also.
Also the delivery people and customs people steal like crazy. My friend in another country never gets what i send him. I wont say the country because i dont want some haters to have an opinion or anything.

As far as Canada, i dont mind so much because its not far and ive bought and sold there before and its easier to deal with being on the same continent, but in far away countries, what would i do if someone ripped me off of a large sum of money? Kick their butt? Cry? Call the police? Cry to their police?
Nobody is going to bother with your tiny $2000 loss.

Theres a few people i see on here regularly that proved to me theyre good people and in all probability they wont rip me off even though theyre in another country and can get away with it and laugh in my face,,,but dont be mad at the OP because he has reservations about it, after his experiances gives him a right to feel the way he does.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 105
Yes, the USPS online calculator is a rough estimate. Anyone using this as a buyer actually believes those will be the rates without knowing the weight, size of container, insurance fees, etc.If I cannot ship USPS International Flat Rate box (which, suprisingly is a single rate), I get upset when an International buyer argues with me over a shipping rate for all the reasons stated above. Regardless, I have no problem working with a willing and resonable buyer anywhere in the world.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 105
Arrgg, another one that switched to the dark side.
Sellers, just because there are some cheating SOBs out there, doesn't mean that you shouldn't send internationally anymore.
Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to buy something at your own country that you could get at the US for half price?
(example - PS3 40GB in Israel costs about 1000$ with one game, at the US it costs about 450$)

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 105
A large company may be able to eat the losses, but i can see where someone may be afraid when they dont have alot of money to begin with.
Im scared whenever a package is late, no matter where it is from, even only 100 miles from me. I try not to jump to conclusions, and i dont jump prematurely on Head-Fi and make a negative thread about it, like some people have in the past, but i do get slightly worried sometimes. Im usually very trusting and have been a few Head-Fi'ers very first sale.
I wouldnt spend a huge amount on a sale from a new seller, but up to maybe $100 id give them a shot. I make very little money.
My last buy was from a Head-Fi DIYer in Canada, RDS.
He turned out to be a great guy, and we chat on MSN Messenger from time to time, and soon ill buy a Dac from him also, but i seen others purchased from him and had good transactions, so i did it too.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #12 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sellers, just because there are some cheating SOBs out there, doesn't mean that you shouldn't send internationally anymore.
Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to buy something at your own country that you could get at the US for half price?
(example - PS3 40GB in Israel costs about 1000$ with one game, at the US it costs about 450$)

I absolutely understand your frustration, but be willing to shell out the $60-100+ it will cost to ship that PS3. It weighs more than 4lbs. and therefore can only go Priority. That will be some bucks.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been ripped off by a US buyers only
rolleyes.gif

anyway, wish you good luck

I dont think he was saying that US buyers are the only safe bet he was saying that is your in the US and you ship outside it is way easy to get borked by the buyer. Vice versa if you are shipping outside the US to the US it is also way easier for you to get borked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If i ever get around to a Birthright trip I'll bring you some Ps3 stuff =D

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is paypal selling that you can ship from them online? I have to drive to the post office or a courier outlet if I want to ship something to someone in the same city let alone another country!

I ship a large number of packages on a regular basis, 95% of which are US domestic packages, and I very rarely ever go to the post office because the only time I'm actually required to go is to mail international packages or pick up registered mail I wasn't home to sign for. I just make arrangements with the USPS to come pick up the pre-paid domestic packages from a relatively secure location in the garage, without me having to miss any work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back