EDIT: Yes, this was a good deal - Ebay tube auction for NOS Siemens E88CC
Oct 4, 2008 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Golden Monkey

Headphoneus Supremus
Won an auction for these on Ebay, and got a pretty good price (I think). Can one of you tube gurus translate the date code for me, and tell me what year these are? I know they are later production by the silver plate between the sections, but...

5bd3_1.JPG

5dd6_1.JPG

5fa3_1.JPG

Siemens Halske Munich Germany
MATCHED PAIR!!!!
BRAND NEW!!!
TYP : E88CC Gold Pins Long Life
QTY.: 2
CONDITION : NOS (NEW OLD STOCK)
No boxes..from bulk Packaging...
CODE A6 5E (silver plate stamped inside) both tubes
And 775 code on glass. both tubes
Number (1) in glass between the gold pins. both tubes
TEST EQUIPMENT : AVO VCM 163
Tube 1 : IA=14 S=13.0
IA=14 S=13.
Tube 2:IA=13 S=13.0
IA=13 S=13.0

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 43
You will know on hearing them how they are. I like Siemens

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 43
Heres a link to the real deal......the price is staggering...

Siemens E188CC / 7308

Note the construction differences that are visible. Please note 7308 is absolute top grade of ECC88 spec.

Peete.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 43
Thanks guys...Peete, I'd looked at the 7308/E188CC's, and relly was tempted, but they are about $100 over budget right now. Looking at Tube Depot's listing for the Siemens E88CC, they have them listed at $129 each and are out of stock (most sources I'd seen that list them have them out of stock). I guess at $96 including shipping for a matched pair is a good deal then!

Still wondering about the date code though. I found lots of info on Philips coding, and some on Telefunken, but zip on Siemens. If they are very late production (say, after 1974) do Siemen's tubes suffer the same issues with QC that other manufacturers did at the end of the tube era?

Also, are those readings good for an NOS listing? Not familiar with/don't understand readings too well...everyone lists different stuff, depending on the tube tester they used.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 43
Although I haven't heard the tube, my feeling is that it's a good deal. If it has excellent tone and detail as a fine tube should, then yes it's a good deal assuming that it has low hours on it.

I usually pay around $90 or more for a pair of high quality vintage 6SN7 tubes and to me it's worth it since the sound is excellent brotha.

chewie0ol.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 43
Those are Tungsram tubes, made in Hungary -- the little square is the giveaway. A year or two ago, they went for about $30 each and were often described as etchy. The price, and the descriptions, seem to have both been inflated of late. I have a pair of "Made in West Germany" "Amperex"es that are Tungsram, so the rebranding seems to have been pretty common. I've never used mine, so I have no opinion on their quality.

at.jpg

Edit: Oh, and the data on the stamp is not a date code afaik.

Oct 5, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 43
, Hmmm...I'm not 100% convinced they could be Tungsrams...in researching tubes (although I admit I'm a novice, but the internet is a wonderful thing), I've yet to see any Tungsram tube having gold pins, even their Valvo E88CC's don't (and most E88CCs DO have gold pins, no matter the maker, in general). The only example I have seen were "possibly" made by them, labelled RSD. Also, I've come across many late production Siemens E88CCs that look exactly like these, with the plate inside, and with the same layout of the coding on them. The Tungsrams I've seen also have the plate, but the codes have all been 90 degrees rotated from the Siemens, and none have had etched coding on the glass. I won't know for sure if they are legit or not until I get them and can investigate further, but I'll report back either way.

Oct 5, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 43
Yes, but all the Tungsram rebrands I've seen have been either Philips or Amperex, not Siemens. I even found the same info on a Chinese website, and they showed closeups of the Amperex knock-offs, showing the tags which were sideways from these, and did not have etched glass codes. I don't doubt you or McShane, I'm just saying I haven't seen ANY Tungsram rebranded Siemens, and I HAVE seen many examples of Siemens tubes with the tags inside the tube...

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't doubt you or McShane, I'm just saying

Clearly you do, but that's fine. I assume you are being friendly, which is always appreciated. This is, of course, a matter of fact and not of opinion. I don't know who is right one way or the other, but I do trust Jim McShane to know a lot more about tubes than most (certainly more than me), so I am inclined to believe him unless I see compelling evidence otherwise.

That said, even if these are Tungsram, it doesn't appear that you got a terrible deal. My guess, judging from the usual price of the Siemens, most people probably thought what I thought. If, however, they are what you think then it seems like a great deal.

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 43
Well I first posted that it was a Tungsram because they are the only tube I have ever known that had the internal tag. Tungsram has a pretty good reputation normally but I have not heard the 6DJ8 variety.

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I first posted that it was a Tungsram because they are the only tube I have ever known that had the internal tag. Tungsram has a pretty good reputation normally but I have not heard the 6DJ8 variety.

So Jamato, YOU think it's a Tungsram as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clearly you do, but that's fine. I assume you are being friendly, which is always appreciated. This is, of course, a matter of fact and not of opinion. I don't know who is right one way or the other, but I do trust Jim McShane to know a lot more about tubes than most (certainly more than me), so I am inclined to believe him unless I see compelling evidence otherwise.

That said, even if these are Tungsram, it doesn't appear that you got a terrible deal. My guess, judging from the usual price of the Siemens, most people probably thought what I thought. If, however, they are what you think then it seems like a great deal.

Sorry, no, you misunderstand me...I have my doubts, but I wasn't doubting you or your intentions...I'm just looking for some sort of verification one way or the other. Believe me, I appreciate your help and input on this.

I did some more poking around, and couldn't find any info or definite "these Siemens E88CC's are fake! They are actually Tungsrams" info. I DID find Tungsram Philips and Amperex, and I came across rebranded Tungsram and Sovtek 6DJ8's, and a few other bits of info. My doubts now lie with these tubes, but until I have them in hand, I have no way to verify one way or the other. It's a crapshoot - I either end up with a decent deal on a nice pair of late production Siemens tubes, or I spent money on something I didn't want. I'd really like to know before they are shipped from Holland. Here's some info:

Various E88CC Siemens:
E88CC9.jpg

siee88ccpr.jpg

DSCN3269_1.jpg

E88CCSiemens.jpg

60-1.jpg

large_680.gif

Note different getters (some halo, some D), and some have the little internal tag plate (photos 1, 2, and 6 for sure) on the getter arm. Also note that the numbering on the tag faces different directions, and some have different shields above the plates. Could be variations due to production changes over the years, could be non-Siemens (or let's be frank...FAKES). I have NO idea which is which at this point. Pic one came from this source, which I found very helpful in identifying the various production changes.

And this little "how to" on spotting fake 6DJ8s was useful too:

How to recognize the 6DJ8 original tubes from the imitations

Be careful when you chase these guys. The reputation of Siemens & Amperexes precedes them and they are frequent targets for counterfeiters. How do you know if a tube in question is the genuine article? Well, fortunately there are a few basic checks you can perform to differentiate true Siemens & Amperexes from relabeled Sylvanias and Tungsrams (view photo 1).

First, check the top of the tube in question. Siemens & Amperexes always have small ridges in the surface of the glass on top of the tube radiating outward from the nipple. These tubes will have 4 ridges, though sometimes only two of them are easily visible. The concept here is to look down on the top of the tube. The 2 or 4 ridges should divide the circular silver top of the tube in half or into quarters (view photo 2). No ridges? No genuine article pass on it.

Second, check the metal shield above the upper mica spacer. On Siemens & Amperexes it’s circular with two raised rectangular sections on opposite edges of the shield (view photo 3). On most fakes that shield is a perfectly flat disc.

Third, about 90% of Siemens tubes have a 1 or 2 digit number molded into the inside bottom of the tube glass centered between the pins (view photo 4). It can sometimes be very hard to see but it’s usually there. Remember, not all Siemens have it, but if your tube passes test one & two and has the number(s), it's a Siemens.

Fourth, familiarize yourself with the shape of the glass bottle on your stock Sovteks. Note that the top is smooth (no ridges) and rather rounded and the tube is short & large in diameter these traits are common to all Russian tubes in this family. Siemens & Amperexes are only about 80 to 85% of the diameter of the Russian versions and tend to have squarer shoulders on top rather than the rounded top of the Sovtek. You should be able to spot the difference between a Russian and a genuine NOS tube just by the shape & diameter of the glass pretty easily. One warning though Sovteks often (always?) have a number molded into the bottom of the tube between the pins like a Siemens, so know all the checks and don’t depend on just one to verify the tubes origins.

Fifth, if it’s a Siemens or Amperex 6922 or 7308 it will always have gold pins. So will some cheap counterfeits, so gold is no guarantee. But if they aren’t gold its not a Siemens or Amperex, so pass on it.

SOURCE (w/pics referenced): The original 6DJ8

In any event< I've emailed the seller, asking to confirm they are legit and to provide me with more pics. If they turn out to be Tungsrams, I'm not going to smear his name or post bad feedback, as it's very possible he has no idea. If he's going to give me hard time, I may have to file a claim, which benefits no one. He's got another auction up right now of the same thing, so we'll see.

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #13 of 43
Amperex later on rebranded Russian tubes and someothers. That would be in the 1970's. I have some Russian Amperex (the tube is fatter and they just look a little different) but these 6DJ8's are better than any of the true Holland Amperex I have and I have around 150 of them in nos with about 30 of the Russian Amperex. These are not rebranded from someone else but are branded by Amperex.

I have some of the Siemens and they are also very good in the 6922.

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amperex later on rebranded Russian tubes and someothers. That would be in the 1970's. I have some Russian Amperex (the tube is fatter and they just look a little different) but these 6DJ8's are better than any of the true Holland Amperex I have and I have around 150 of them in nos with about 30 of the Russian Amperex. These are not rebranded from someone else but are branded by Amperex.

I have some of the Siemens and they are also very good in the 6922.

Yes, but do YOU think these are Tungsrams? I know you like those Russian tubes a lot, but I'm more concerned with money already spent that could have gone towards something I really want, as opposed to getting something OK that I thought was something else. Mainly since the day after I won the bid on these, I have a line on true '60's brand new Siemens 7308s for not much more...

Oct 6, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, check the top of the tube in question. Siemens & Amperexes always have small ridges in the surface of the glass on top of the tube radiating outward from the nipple. These tubes will have 4 ridges, though sometimes only two of them are easily visible. The concept here is to look down on the top of the tube. The 2 or 4 ridges should divide the circular silver top of the tube in half or into quarters (view photo 2). No ridges? No genuine article pass on it.

My "Amperex" Tungsrams, pictured earlier, have these ridges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back