Eddie Current DIY amplifier "Monolith"
Nov 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #151 of 172
Finally got around to boxing up the Monolith this weekend.  Single box.  I only set it up for balanced in, and balance out.  Happy that it stayed dead quiet after boxing it all up.

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #152 of 172
Internal pr0n shots 
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #156 of 172
Nice pics!

How it sound's on your set up?

I starting soldering the resistance on the PCB tonigh and I also plan  to build a buffaloIIIse to match with the Monolith. I will use it with a LCD3 and a TH900 :)

I will compare it to my actual set up Eddie Current Super 7 + Auralic Ark MX +

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #157 of 172
I really like it with the HD800.  Very open and dynamic, if just a bit on the bright side.  I've taken to adding just a slight touch of EQ with this set up.  

I'm looking forward to getting the Slant I ordered to try it with an orthodynamic.  

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #158 of 172
It will suit well with Audeze I think so!

I will buy an Hammond enclosure like yours but in black, which size did you buy?

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #159 of 172
I think I went with the largest size available, but I need to check it to confirm that.  I'll post when I get home over the weekend.

You could fit it in a smaller version, but it's not all that big and I didn't want to cramp everything in.  

The only thing I don't like about this enclosure is that you have to wire up with a decent amount of "slack" in the wiring to the top part to allow you to lift it from the bottom where the boards are mounted.  Not a big deal, but it makes it harder to keep things neat.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #160 of 172
With the BuffaloIIIse, if I will go for the dual mono version, I definitly need the bigger enclosure. Dimension: 432x254x76mm (ref 1441-32BK3CWW)

It will be a nice set up with the same enclosure for the dac and the Monolith :)

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #161 of 172
@shipsupt Many thanks for the pics

Quote:
  With the BuffaloIIIse, if I will go for the dual mono version, I definitly need the bigger enclosure. Dimension: 432x254x76mm (ref 1441-32BK3CWW)

It will be a nice set up with the same enclosure for the dac and the Monolith :)

Before you order the case ...

Considering that your buffalo build will have AT LEAST 2 trafos, Placid HD, Placid BP, Buffalo Board, Legato, Amanero... I Wonder if the monolith (PSU + PSU Board + Amp Board) will fit... seems big...
Also:
Considering that you may go dual mono 
Considering that you also ordered OPC wire SE-SE, BAL-BAL and 3 PSU 
Considering that you will want a NTD1 v2 when I got mine that could ruin your legato stackability.
Considering that you may upgrade buffalo PSU (let's say Salas SSLV instead of placid, OPC shunt instead of trident)

You won't fit il all !!!

You could optimize trafos with a custom big one that will handle everything (from audi*ph*nics)

You should plan it seriously with some paper canva at real size. And consider a big box for your dac alone until you reach the end of DIY upgraditis :D

PS: I'm well informed about what Ony is planning
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #163 of 172
  Before you order the case ...

Considering that your buffalo build will have AT LEAST 2 trafos, Placid HD, Placid BP, Buffalo Board, Legato, Amanero... I Wonder if the monolith (PSU + PSU Board + Amp Board) will fit... seems big...
Also:
Considering that you may go dual mono 
Considering that you also ordered OPC wire SE-SE, BAL-BAL and 3 PSU 
Considering that you will want a NTD1 v2 when I got mine that could ruin your legato stackability.
Considering that you may upgrade buffalo PSU (let's say Salas SSLV instead of placid, OPC shunt instead of trident)

You won't fit il all !!!

You could optimize trafos with a custom big one that will handle everything (from audi*ph*nics)

You should plan it seriously with some paper canva at real size. And consider a big box for your dac alone until you reach the end of DIY upgraditis :D

PS: I'm well informed about what Ony is planning
biggrin.gif

Tsssss, you talk too mutch 
biggrin.gif

I want the same design of enclosure for the dac and the amp, not putting the amp and the dac in one enclosure !
  buffalo+ntd d1+salas+ian fifo
that's what im working on right now

Nice set up!

I just have two question, for R23, it's only a resistance for the led because I can't find it on the schematic? And for the jumper?

Thanks

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #164 of 172
Tsssss, you talk too mutch :D

I want the same design of enclosure for the dac and the amp, not putting the amp and the dac in one enclosure !

Nice set up!

I just have two question, for R23, it's only a resistance for the led because I can't find it on the schematic? And for the jumper?

Thanks

Id like to know how's the case handling weight.
I was considering having two transformer on the outside like a tube amp.
R23 seems to be the resister for led.
I shorted the jumper.

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #165 of 172
R23 is the resistor for the LED, size accordingly for the LED you choose.. You could jump it if you wanted to do an incandescent.

The jumper should be closed.

That case is strong enough for a few transformers to be mounted on top. That could be an interesting look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back