Eddie Current Balancing Act
May 11, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #1,336 of 1,499
Beastly... to say the least.

How does the 4-45 work?

Is it a true balanced push-pull balanced configuration?

Or are the 45's connected in parallel?

May 11, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #1,338 of 1,499
  Many toys ordered and expected to arrive sooner ...or later.

+    =   
gs1000.gif

Craig changes the driver again?  A single 6SL7?   

May 12, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #1,341 of 1,499
Did you order the Balancing Act or the 4-45?

The new (2nd batch) 4-45 that will now be built in a BA case. Much better look IMO than the first large square box.

May 12, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #1,342 of 1,499
Pics of the back of the 445 and or internals?

Fwiw I've gotten more mind boggled with the performance of the ba as a preamp feeding the Kgss from my vintage parasound, it gives the tired old dac some new legs.  Pleasing distortion maybe?  Whatever the case it's quite smooth and deep in the bass registers and killer with female vocals.

May 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,345 of 1,499
Here is The Official Eddie Current 4-45 Thread

Below is a summary of what has transpired so far.  If anyone can knows how to transfer it over to the new thread - go for it  (I can't figure it out)
tongue.gif

Rico

Quote:
  I did not love the Abyss with the BA. Too soft. The 4-45 (more current delivery, different power supply) helps quite a bit, but I think I may still prefer good powerful solid state with the Abyss just to get that last bit of driver control (also the Abyss cannot make full use of the 4-45's resolving capabilities). Depends upon what mood I am in. You want to have everything in one single amp, but you really can't.

The Sennheisers HD600/650/800 are amazing with the 4-45. No question about that.

Keep the ZD. The ZDT is kind of a bridge between the ZD and BA, so really no need for it. Keep the ZD for it's euphony / unique presentation. Get the BA...

Get the Eddie Current 4-45. It's the same price as the BA, at least for now. The 4-45 destroys the BA in terms of seductiveness, transparency, and resolution. Usually something gives with tube amps between the seductiveness factor and the technicalities. The 4-45 is the only amp I've heard which is able to meld both without losing anything. It's by far the best headamp solid-state or tube that I have heard. Nothing touches it in terms of transparency, resolution, and dynamics; yet it's still tube. The 4-45's presentation is more straight-forward like the BA and less like the ZD with its artificial euphony. Since I've owned the BA, the BA has stopped giving me goosebumps. When I first heard the 4-45, I got chills and teary-eyed. That doesn't happen to me anymore, or at least it's not supposed to. Still, the ZD will still retain its place - I plan on keeping it for what it is.

The 4-45 not on Craig's website, but I know he's starting another run soon. You will need to call him.

LCD2s, HD800, Abyss all sounded great on it. I don't care for LCD-X on any amp. I'm probably going to get the HD800s again. It's amazing how the HD800s keep scaling. BTW, DACs, even similar sounding DACs, become extremely easy to pick out, even using quick A-B.

The 445 seems so impressive ! I confirm that he starting new run, I ordered mine :wink:

What are the driver tubes in that 445?

5842 or 6C45π

I have a 45 BA and a couple of other 45-based amps for my speakers, and believe me, don't waste your time on NOS or anything besides EML (Emission Labs) tubes.  They are light-years ahead of any other 45 I've heard. They are expensive though.

I'd love to hear the 445 vs. 45-BA to see if what purrin is hearing is due to the new amp design or the fact that it's 45-based.  Because I agree, the 45-based amps I've heard "destroy other amps in terms of seductiveness, transparency" as he put it.

Has anyone heard back on their 4-45 order yet?

I placed my order like six weeks ago and paid the deposit, I was told there was 8 weeks waiting time at that time. 

I was part of the first run of 4-45s. My amp, #3, was delivered yesterday.

Just a note for future 4-45 owners. When you power on the amp, you will hear a truly terrifying noise that sounds like aliens boring into your brain. When I first heard this I was unprepared, and it scared the sh!t out of me. I immediately powered down the amp and contacted Craig who assured me this sound---what he innocently calls "the Star Trek noise"---is 100% normal for this amp. It lasts for about 10 seconds before going away. If you find yourself turning on a 4-45, you too will likely hear this Borg-sticking-dental-equipment-into-your-ears sound. Be prepared.

The 4-45 is not a "god amp" (as a certain forum says) but rather a "demon amp" that will strike fear into any other amp in the vicinity with its mighty roar before devouring its soul. When the beast's thirst for audiophile blood is quenched, the noise subsides leaving you with a background as quiet as a tomb.

What's the current wait time for the 445? I reached out to Craig but am waiting to hear back

It will be several months until the second batch is starting to build, Craig told me the new 445 will be using the BA chassis and is delayed for couple of months. 

Well, I find it a very good news that the BA Chassis will be used. I find it much more sophisticated looking. I prefer it a lot with the inclined front...  just a matter of taste.

may be the new 4-45 will look something like this .... 
biggrin.gif

BUT, I still wonder if the 4-45 is really a step up to the BA ?  

Indeed, for example, the BA is FULLY BALANCED, in and out, while the 4-45 has balanced outputs, but only RCA inputs !  

is this a drawback or it does not make any SQ difference ?

So I wonder if the 4-45 is just a more powerful BA that is useful only with very hard to drive headphones or... does the 4-45 sound better than the BA with ALL headphones ?

Indeed, for example, the BA is FULLY BALANCED, in and out, while the 4-45 has balanced outputs, but only RCA inputs !  

is this a drawback or it does not make any SQ difference ?

It's more like a tradeoff. The BA does take balanced inputs, but the balanced inputs are converted to SE via transformers (those two small cylinders marked Cinemag mounted on the back panel of the BA). This is both good and bad. The good is that both legs of the balanced output are actually used. The bad is that we are adding an unnecessary reactive component in the signal path. Some DACs which have balanced output capability, electically sum the balanced signal for the SE output. So in this case, using short (not 30ft. length in studios) patch cables, it shouldn't matter on the 4-45. Other DACs, like the PWD2 I had, sort of cheat and simply use one leg of the balanced for its SE output. Taking the PWD2 for example, I felt the SQ was kind of a wash between the SE (one leg of the balanced) and balanced outputs into the BA. Really too close to call. It's important to understand that the BA is still a SE amp.

If you wanted to, you could wire up or have Craig build you a balanced to SE transformer box, but honestly, and depending upon the design of your DAC, it could be a waste of money as good transformers, even small ones, are expensive.

So I wonder if the 4-45 is just a more powerful BA that is useful only with very hard to drive headphones or... does the 4-45 sound better than the BA with ALL headphones ?

Taking out of consideration for any preference toward specific tube types, the 4-45 sounds better than the BA with all headphones across the board in terms of resolution, macro-micro dynamics, layering, separation, clarity, imaging, realism, and immediacy. It's hard to put into words, but "REAL" factor is definitely there, especially now that I've got the complement of tubes in there that I want. The 4-45 is a step up in driver control from the BA when it comes to orthos, but is still a step behind compared to the best solid-state.

When I asked Craig what is the best amp for HD800 and HD650, he told me like this:

If all you want is a good headphone amp to run HD800, HD650 headphones, the 445 amp is the best sound. Second best is the 445 proto amp that I sent a picture of.

And based on the other comment, 445 should work best with HD800. 

The 4-45 has arrived. My wife now refers to my bedside table as the Tower of Power.

The 4-45 has arrived. My wife now refers to my bedside table as the Tower of Power.

Nice. Are those old-stock globe 45s?

Nice. Are those old-stock globe 45s?

Yes, a matched quad of RCA globes.

How do you like it so far?

I just got it on Saturday.  It is very nice, but it is brand new and it has very stiff competition, as the amp right below it on my equipment rack is the Apex Teton.  I am wary of comparing the two amps just yet (if ever).  I will say that the 4-45 works perfectly with low impedance headphones.  I tried my JH Roxannes with the 4-45 and was very impressed -- absolutely zero noise, zero channel imbalance, and suitably low gain to allow me to turn the volume pot past 9:00 before the music starts to gets too loud.

Do you have some planars to test with ?  

OK, the 4-45 sounds fantastic driving the LCD-2. The soundstage suddenly seems vast, and the amp really seems to wake the headphones up, making them seem much less dark and bass heavy.  Dynamics and tonality are exceptional.

Anybody who frets that the 4-45 is not up to driving Audeze headphones based on the amp's specs is misguided.  Admittedly, a lot of tube amps fall flat trying to drive the LCD-2. For example, I thought the Eddie Current Super 7 was a bit underwhelming with the LCD-2.  The Eddie Current 4-45 is a totally different animal.

I am trying to order a 4-45 but am wondering what the current production model costs? Are there options with this amp like there have been with other EC offerings?

As a very happy EC (ZDSE and ZDT) and Moth (2A3) owner I am looking forward to hearing more about this amp and hearing what one of the EC reference pieces sounds like.

Judi, Craig's wife and business partner, told me that for future production runs the 4-45 was likely to cost $4500, not including tubes. I am not aware of any upgrade options, but didn't ask about them.

Someone should start a 4-45 thread.

May 14, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #1,346 of 1,499
Guys need your opinion- Just got the new Oppo PM-1 I am going use my Lampi L7 dac- which model of the EC line would be a good match for this setup- I was thinking of the BA but any suggestions would be welcome- The Lampi is a SE unit- thanks

May 14, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #1,347 of 1,499
The (cough, cough) DNA Stratus is optimized for SE inputs...

You have also not stated what headphones you'll be using...

May 15, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #1,350 of 1,499
  Guys need your opinion- Just got the new Oppo PM-1 I am going use my Lampi L7 dac- which model of the EC line would be a good match for this setup- I was thinking of the BA but any suggestions would be welcome- The Lampi is a SE unit- thanks

Best EC for most orthos is 4-45. For PM-1, especially 4-45. Also recommend the provided 6C45 driver tubes for use with PM-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back