Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread
Jan 17, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #256 of 992
Trying the reference filters today, they definitely give a bit more emphasis to the vocals while not sacrificing bass all that much. However they can bit a tiny bit sibilant depending on recording quality and voice traits - some greek female singers love their S unfortunately.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #257 of 992
Yet another Finder X1 review...mine :)
I echo many of the sentiments already expressed it seems.

Head Pie.
Echobox Finder review - expatinjapan
http://headpie.blogspot.jp/2016/01/echobox-finder-x1-in-ears-review.html

Enjoy
Kind regards
expat

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #258 of 992
HELP - trying to resolve a potential deal-breaker!

The problem (for me) is the bell shape of the Finders earphone; the circumference is too wide, and it's too close to the tip.  My left ear canal is shaped in such a way that the edge of the titanium earphone is pressing into it, which is mighty uncomfortable.  I've rolled through all of the tips that shipped with the Finders - including the Comply's - and none have provided enough distance between my inner ear and the bell of the earphone.  I hope that makes sense.

My last set of earbuds were the Klipsch x10s, which are renowned for their comfort; indeed, I could listen all day and never mind their presence in my ears. Granted, their design is completely different from that of the Finders.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51oCMeOiTpL._SY355_.jpg

Of course, the sound quality of the Finders is leaps and bounds above that of the x10s, so I really want to make this work!  Can any of you recommend a solution?  I'm thinking my only chance would be to find a longer tip; if I could get a seal in my ear with a longer tip, then perhaps the bell portion of the earphone wouldn't be deep enough inside of my ear for it to cause discomfort.

I would *HATE* to not be able to use these gems.  I sincerely appreciate any and all advice that you guys have!

NOTE: This isn't merely a case of me inserting the earphone too far into my ear; I'm only inserting far enough to get a proper seal.  This is why I feel a tip with longer reach might be the solution.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #259 of 992
Comply do a longer tip (P series?). Might be worth checking if that would fit the nozzle on the Finder?

The problem (for me) is the bell shape of the Finders earphone; the circumference is too wide, and it's too close to the tip.  My left ear canal is shaped in such a way that the edge of the titanium earphone is pressing into it, which is mighty uncomfortable.  I've rolled through all of the tips that shipped with the Finders - including the Comply's - and none have provided enough distance between my inner ear and the bell of the earphone.  I hope that makes sense.

My last set of earbuds were the Klipsch x10s, which are renowned for their comfort; indeed, I could listen all day and never mind their presence in my ears. Granted, their design is completely different from that of the Finders.

Of course, the sound quality of the Finders is leaps and bounds above that of the x10s, so I really want to make this work!  Can any of you recommend a solution?  I'm thinking my only chance would be to find a longer tip; if I could get a seal in my ear with a longer tip, then perhaps the bell portion of the earphone wouldn't be deep enough inside of my ear for it to cause discomfort.

I would *HATE* to not be able to use these gems.  I sincerely appreciate any and all advice that you guys have!

NOTE: This isn't merely a case of me inserting the earphone too far into my ear; I'm only inserting far enough to get a proper seal.  This is why I feel a tip with longer reach might be the solution.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #260 of 992
Stock P series tips won't fit on the Finder, but if you're really persistent, I bet you could remove the plastic cores from P-series and get them to fit the finder. Haven't tried it myself, but it could work. 

Have you thought about trying the comply Comfort series? I could be wrong, but I feel like the large Comfort series have a bigger diameter, which might allow the Finder to make a shallower seal and thus avoid the comfort issue.

Really hope you can find the right fit!

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #261 of 992
Maybe Spinfit? Not sure if they'll work with your situation, but they seem to stick out a good deal further than most tips...

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #263 of 992
Stock P series tips won't fit on the Finder, but if you're really persistent, I bet you could remove the plastic cores from P-series and get them to fit the finder. Haven't tried it myself, but it could work. 

I shall have to give this a try

I have  a small and medium spare T-400 courtesy of Echobox
I have P-Series for my Shure SE535

Out with my trusty blade and experiment (I too have to insert these quite deeply to obtain the best seal and the obligatory Bass

Edit:
I'm sticking with the T-400 for now. Was a bit fiddly and the shape of the P-Series require a central support which the T-400 do not have.
I have on order a set of JVC Spiral Tips and Sony Hybrids will await those.

Edit 2:
As per @Gilly87 suggestion I also have on order a set of Comply comfort T series tips

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #264 of 992
Thanks for the replies, everyone!  What an awesome little community this is.

It seems like the Comply P series might address my problem, but I'm a bit hesitant to order and then perform surgery on them.  It may come to that, though, as I've yet to find any other tips that are as long as those.

I actually found a larger silicone tip that came with a pair of bluetooth headphones that were gifted to me years ago.  It seems extremely similar to the Comply Comfort, except that it's silicone (which I actually prefer).  While it does provide a shallower seal, it's not *quite* shallow enough.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.  If anyone has any other advice, please let me know.  Thank you  :)

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #265 of 992
  Thanks for the replies, everyone!  What an awesome little community this is.

It seems like the Comply P series might address my problem, but I'm a bit hesitant to order and then perform surgery on them.  It may come to that, though, as I've yet to find any other tips that are as long as those.

I actually found a larger silicone tip that came with a pair of bluetooth headphones that were gifted to me years ago.  It seems extremely similar to the Comply Comfort, except that it's silicone (which I actually prefer).  While it does provide a shallower seal, it's not *quite* shallow enough.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.  If anyone has any other advice, please let me know.  Thank you  :)

Tips are so personal, and so random...some of my favorite tips came with a pair of cheap Pannys I bought ages and ages ago XD Those, the Earsonics biflanges, and Westone Star tips are my personal favorites outside of foamies.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #266 of 992
I have been using the X1 regularly over the last week or so directly with my old AK100 (modded to 0 Ohm) and also together with the tralucent T1.

I will not repeat impressions of its sound sig as I have nothing new to add there. So far I like its sound sig especially since it contrasts the Heaven VI very nicely that I am using normally. 
What I can say though is that the X1 sounds a LOT better to my ears when used with an additional amp. The difference to me between using it unamped or amped (with the AK100)  is far bigger than with the Heaven VI (which work very nicely with the old AK100).
I have been using it with the White and the black filters and stock tips.
Need to listen and compare with complys yet.

So I hope that the Explorer  will have enough power  to  drive the X1 without the need of an amp as I do not like stacking.

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #267 of 992
  I have been using the X1 regularly over the last week or so directly with my old AK100 (modded to 0 Ohm) and also together with the tralucent T1.

I will not repeat impressions of its sound sig as I have nothing new to add there. So far I like its sound sig especially since it contrasts the Heaven VI very nicely that I am using normally. 
What I can say though is that the X1 sounds a LOT better to my ears when used with an additional amp. The difference to me between using it unamped or amped (with the AK100)  is far bigger than with the Heaven VI (which work very nicely with the old AK100).
I have been using it with the White and the black filters and stock tips.
Need to listen and compare with complys yet.

So I hope that the Explorer  will have enough power  to  drive the X1 without the need of an amp as I do not like stacking.

We designed the Explorer specifically to not need an additional amp, unless you're using really hard-to-drive headphones; we demo with HD650s at shows just to show off the amp section :)

And the Finders are definitely designed to scale well :wink:

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #268 of 992
Thank you @Gilly87
Great service as always from you and the Team and still loving these IEM's
All other headphones I own have taken a back seat since I have received these. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #269 of 992
  Thank you @Gilly87
Great service as always from you and the Team and still loving these IEM's
All other headphones I own have taken a back seat since I have received these. 

biggrin.gif
 Thanks dude! So glad you're loving the Finders; I'm sure Tang will be stoked to hear it ^_^

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #270 of 992
Finder X1 owner here. Phones are partnered with Chord Hugo.

Very impressive sonic results, and especially in tranparency field (my reference pair is a modded Hifiman HE-6 on a Firstwatt F5).

Bass is very good as well as dynamics.

Mids are a little distant sounding and with less body compared to my reference (HE-6).

Problem is the somewhat annoying upper mids / treble. Fortunately, the 3-day burn in has tamed these frequencies, so I have hopes. :)

I'm using reference filter and comply tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back