EC Zana Deux tube rolling pls share
Jun 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #391 of 651
Quote:

How do you like COSSOR? Are those ULTRON German made?

The Cossor should arrive this week, I'm looking forward to it. Yes, the Ultrons are made in West Germany. They're extremely nice.

DSC07060a1.jpg

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #392 of 651
I've been using a Sylvania JAN CHS 6SL7GT (green print) for a while now and I like it, a lot. A quite balanced presentation, with a solid bottom end.

syljan6sl7gt.jpg

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #393 of 651
Since I finally got around to getting the HD800s out of the box, I've been too busy listening to get around to posting any impressions. With the ZD with a Brimar driver fed by the Sumiko Blackbird through a Bel Canto phonostage, I don't think I've heard anything better lately, and the 800s have put the 650s on the shelf for me. I need to decide whether to recable them balanced in anticipation of the BA or just dedicate them to the ZD exclusively. I don't suppose there's a wrong answer to that one. -Tim

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #395 of 651
You have had the time to make and post an pic, but any to write something about the sonics
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick photo, it came in yesterday.

DSC07132a.jpg

beerchug.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #396 of 651
GIve me a break Blackmore.
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif
Yes I kept the photo to myself for one whole day before I posted it. I am exhausted. The mail lady did not knock or ring, she left a "delivery notification" pink slip. So I called and they said "Come at 5 o'clock, maybe it will be here." We have had many, many problems with our mail carriers here. SO knowing I am completely disgusted my gf goes and finds the mail lady. This package also took an extra week for some reason.

It is ultra, ultra-clean. It has made unlistenable things very attractive and essentially re-arranged everything. Whether this is accuracy or not it seems to add up to very low distortion. It has had me thinking very creatively. If I can not explain the sound, I can report on the results.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's not about mid-range emphasis as much as "where is it going to place the bass". I have heard some tubes hitting very low now, and with presence. It has become a question of where the other tubes are going to place it. The Cossor seems to have extreme accuracy.

I was preparing to tell you I was hearing zero exaggeration of the bass on the Hytron, but this is a totally different level. It's on it's own, but the musicality is still a question. Maybe it will need more some time.

The Brimar meanwhile looks so amazing that I've had to give it a spin tonight !! I can certainly see why you gentlemen like them. Verrry nice and it is putting the bass in a very warm spot. Incredible tone. I'm just really honored to have these here, and also be able to compare them to the other tubes I have. A real shootout.
biggrin.gif

The GE '55 Silver Plate from Dennis is still in the lead, but I have yet to check-out the new Tung-Sol and also a darkhorse .... an RCA coin base 6SL7. This should be good.

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #397 of 651
Thanks for your replay. Ah, take it easy, will you
biggrin.gif

Yes, they are crystal clear with amazing airiness/space, which isnt like any other tube I tried. And yes, they do missing the body/weight of others like Tung Sols or Mullards, but the exteem accuracy is a good one to describe them, which translates in amazing detail as well.

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #398 of 651
DSC07136a.jpg

Plus, I am nursing a bum shoulder from either a bad night with a pillow, or my new work-out program .... or both.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Unfortunately, like some women I've known, the Brimar is more beautiful than possible. It has produced some beeps all day, which I've tried to ignore. It's okay, this just happened with a silver plate back-up I got off eBay. It was arcing and I had to pull it. So now the same with the Brimar.

I'm telling you this thing is drop, dead gorgeous. Much better than the photo I got. But it's over 50 years old supposedly, this is just the probability. I'm sure he might find another.

DSC07138a1.jpg

I've switched to the Tung-Sol. Beautiful and full from the first note.

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #399 of 651
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your replay. Ah, take it easy, will you
biggrin.gif

Yes, they are crystal clear with amazing airiness/space, which isnt like any other tube I tried. And yes, they do missing the body/weight of others like Tung Sols or Mullards, but the exteem accuracy is a good one to describe them, which translates in amazing detail as well.

Yes the detail was phenomenal. Tablas and voices, lyrics very clear. I don't know if the space really was as good, but like the Hytron (& much better) the only thing that "stuck out" was the composition. I like the Cossor much better, but I am not mixing for Deustche Grammaphone !
atsmile.gif
Serious, it gets me excited . But this is truly exotic in that every note seems to sound different. So will it open up (?), or is this the Cossor sound ? I hope to find out.

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #400 of 651
Not sure if you will get more from it, mostly its like after 2 hours of use the tubes perform at their full glory. I was using with GS1000 and notice the bigger space immediately. Give them some more time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the detail was phenomenal. Tablas and voices, lyrics very clear. I don't know if the space really was as good, but like the Hytron (& much better) the only thing that "stuck out" was the composition. I like the Cossor much better, but I am not mixing for Deustche Grammaphone !
atsmile.gif
Serious, it gets me excited . But this is truly exotic in that every note seems to sound different. So will it open up (?), or is this the Cossor sound ? I hope to find out.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #401 of 651
I will. Trust me, I ran longer than 3 hours. My friend here actually asks that I give the tubes about 30 hours, especially if they are NOS. So I have this in mind.

I am just anxious to have a small preview now that the little mother-load has arrived.
tongue.gif
The Cossor has a much greater space/presentation than the Hytron, which was very flat in a way, but also very "democratic" across the mix, just not as involving. I can easily see why people like the Hytron, it is very even.

DSC07122a.jpg

I was using this before the Cossor arrived.

Hey, I almost scored a pair of K340s , but they did not work. I saw your review .... you liked them w/ the Zana ?

Jul 4, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #402 of 651
This Hytron looks like National Union, which indeed not that spacey...actually never like it...

I believe you have to give us your impressions about all that great valves you have, dont you think?

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #403 of 651
Well .... if you're being serious, yes I believe so as well. Hey, you and this whole group are the inspiration. Many of the tubes I only know through here, but also I am receiving some from my local friend. So now I can compare.

I am beginning to realize more now what is involved. The tubes are in different classes. For instance, I would like to compare the Cossor to the Raytheon. But I am also thinking about sending the Cossor to Craig to test, he seems interested in it.

The Hytron has a certain mystery, even among the heavy-hitters. It just never expanded. I haven't heard the NU black-coat, so I can't compare. I just got a little fatigued when I was about to write about it, and also the failed eBay silver plate (last eBay for me).

I'm being told the noise from the Brimar may be a "contact problem".
smily_headphones1.gif
I have a small metal piece in one socket that has moved. Seems to be working fine with the RCA coin base (which is extraordinary, photo soon). My camera does not do justice to the Brimar, but I will try again. :<)

Brimar CV 1985 photo album

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #404 of 651
Well I was bored and went to E-Bay. The six pack of Ultrons is now on the way! I did see that there is a pair of Fivre's for sale. He is the same seller that I bought mine from. He does make you pay a $6.00 Pay Pal fee- read his fine print carefully before buying.
My ZD is #17. It had a faint high pitched noise- more on the right channel. Noticeable only with certain music- like piano solos. Not heard during non music playing passages. It would make certain piano notes have a ringing sound. Craig had me run a ground wire from the ZD chasis to the Cd chasis. Noise is now gone. Also one day my rectifier tubes did not light up but the other tubes did. This was a problem at the umbilical cord- amplifier connection. The male connection pins can get pushed in when making a connection. The pin holes are numbered- my problem pin was #6. The solution is to gently pull the recessed pin back out with needle nose pliers. I am now more careful making the umbilical cord connections.
My interconnects are now the Audioquest Cheetas(silver based) that has been upgraded to the DBS system using 144 volts instead of the factory upgrade of 72 volts. Interconnects do seem to me to give a different feel to the music as does tube rolling.
What other interconnects have you all tried- both good and bad?
Good listening.
David Pritchard

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #405 of 651
Just a quick word about Ultron - Ultron did not make tubes. They are a rebrander. The box may say West Germany, but that is not a guarantee of anything. I have bought Ultron 6AS7G's, and 6SL7GT's and in both cases the tubes were absolutely and unquestionably Russian.

This means nothing in terms of what has been discussed here, but aside from very nice pretty boxes, Ultron tubes are kind of a hit or miss proposition, like the UK brand Haltron, and like Westinghouse in the US - sometimes very nice tubes for a great price, sometimes very average tubes for an expensive price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back