EC/SS power supply question
Mar 5, 2008 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone know if the AC power supply that ships with the EC/SS can be used outside of North America (230V)? Does a special power supply have to be requested or purchased separately, or can a person just use the appropriate adapter plug with the standard power supply?

Mar 5, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 5
I saw somewhere over here that it will accept voltages from 15-18V and has to output at least 500mA of current. Do some serious searching and look into threads and you can find the correct answer.

When I eyed EC/SS I thought of buying some laptop charger that outputs the correct voltage and enought current.

Edit: Corrected the values

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 5
"The ECSS uses an AC wall wart. The output needs to be AC between 15 and
18 volts. The minimum output current should not be less than 500mA, more
is fine. The power plug center pin is 2.5mm which is standard. Shipping is
much less without the transformer so I do recommend you source it there. It
will in no way effect the sound of the ECSS."

The adaptor that comes with the EC/SS is 110/120VAC only, so you need to source another one.

The quote at the start is from another thread about the EC/SS and is almost identical to an email I got from Craig Uthus, the EC/SS designer and manufacturer. I went to a local electronics store, bought the appropriate AC-AC power adaptor without a plug plus some 2.5mm plugs and went home an soldered aplug to the adaptor. A very easy task.

cheers
Simon

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to a local electronics store, bought the appropriate AC-AC power adaptor without a plug plus some 2.5mm plugs and went home an soldered aplug to the adaptor. A very easy task.

I do own a soldering iron. And I'm afraid to use it
redface.gif

But, if I can't source a power supply with the right plug, I will probably go ahead with the task.

Thanks for the informative response. I was not able to come up with these details searching here or on the web.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Just go to local electronics store and ask them if they have something that meets all the requirements. Shouldn't be a big task if you have to solder the right plug into PSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back