EC/SS amp vs. Millet Hybrid: Some observations...
Dec 21, 2009 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

punkaroo

500+ Head-Fier
Recently, I posted a thread in Computer Audio comparing my Devilsound NOS DAC to my newly acquired Pico DAC-only unit. I observed that while the Pico had better detail and was more neutral, the Devilsound had better soundstage and was warmer, while having smoother highs. I thoroughly enjoy both.

I've just borrowed a EC/SS amp from a fellow head-fier, and am now comparing it to my Millet Hybrid. I'm still using Tung Sol tubes, and my Grado HF-2s.

So far, I have determined that the Eddie Current is a more detailed, analytical sounding amp. The Pico, also being detailed, isn't a very good match. The combination produces a sound that is too harsh. However, the Devilsound, being a warmer, smoother DAC is a much better match for the Eddie Current. I've only got the amp at just slightly past 8 o'clock, and it sounds freakin' GREAT!

Still being a newb at this hobby, it's very interesting to note the SQ differences between solid state, and in my case, hybrid amps. SS = analytical, highly detailed, therefore requiring a warmer source. Hybrid/tube = warmer, smoother. It can be matched nicely with a more detailed source, like a Pico.

I will post more observations as I continue to listen. Thanks for reading this
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 11
Yup just keep on selling the same viewpoint!
tongue.gif

Never ventured into tubes but most people here seem to hold your position. So one must wonder, why would you want a tube amp which has more distortion than a ss amp? Well as per the thousands of people here with tube amps will tell you, they sound great.

Your nos dac v upsampling dac also echos the viewpoints of others. I'll have to try a nos dac one day JUST to see if I'd like it. I'm a massive skeptic but some items aren't overly expensive [moodlab designs look good].

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 11
I have a Moodlab Concept as well, and it's a very nice unit. I use it with my Airport Express, Marantz receiver and Dynaco speakers. It's a more neutral sounding piece of kit.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Still being a newb at this hobby, it's very interesting to note the SQ differences between solid state, and in my case, hybrid amps. SS = analytical, highly detailed, therefore requiring a warmer source. Hybrid/tube = warmer, smoother. It can be matched nicely with a more detailed source, like a Pico.

Maybe a newb but one that is picking up the right details apparently and learning the it is all about mixing and matching the right components that gives the right synergy where the whole can be more than the sum of the parts no matter how good those parts may be.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 11
That's exactly what I realized I was stumbling upon
smily_headphones1.gif
How different parts sound different and how important it is to get the right synergy. Amazing! I love this hobby. But my wallet doesn't :p

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 11
The mixing of ss and tube gear is usually a good thing. I am going to build my system with a SS source (leaning to Ref-1) with a tube OTL amp. This way I get to color my sound for each headphone by matching tubes.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm going to later experiment with swapping tubes in the Millet and using the Pico as a source. I want to see if I can just slightly tame the highs.

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 11
The Devilsound is a powerful little DAC; it gives the impression that the EC/SS is the more powerful (ie. loudest) amp. I don't think that's the case; I think the Devilsound itself has a lot of power, which seems a little odd for a DAC...is it?

I'm not sure what the voltage is on the TREAD walmart power supply that came with the Millet, but the EC/SS has a 16 watt one.

I tried out the 12FK6s and surprisingly found the bass line in "Sleeping with Ghosts" by Placebo to be a little lean compared to the Devilsound + EC/SS combination.

I'm going to pop the Tung Sols back in (12FM6s) and see if there's a difference.

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 11
WOW, much more 'oomph' with the Tung Sols back in, bass is richer sounding. (Still using Pico as source right now). Volume knob is in between 8 and 9 o'clock.

I don't think I'm going to be able to decide on which setup is better: Millet+Pico or EC/SS+Devilsound. They're both SO good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back