Ebay HP-2 fishy?
Sep 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

nikongod

DIY-ku
hello headfi

do these look fishy to anyone else?

ebay auction

The drivers look more like "SR" series drivers than the drivers in my HP-2

The "front" of the actual driver has white cloth, HP-1000 drivers have black cloth
The actual driver has a smooth surface, rather than the "pleated cone" of the HP-2
The drivers look black from the rear. I suspect the little ring of white around the edge is the inside of the housing reflecting...

The ******** of putting an RS-1 (if not lower) driver in an HP1000 shell has been seen before, you be the judge.

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 27
Good eyes nikongod. I saw this listing late last night but was too tired to notice the drivers. I agree that they are not HP-1000 drivers.

Also, take a look at the sellers feedback. I would feel uncomfortable buying from that particular one. It almost looks like it may be a hijacked account. Check the dates from 06 and 07 and look how regularly that individual sold items. Then nothing for almost the last year and a half? Taking that in to account, and the fact that they are not a very good looking example of the HP-1000, I'm staying far away from this one.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 27
There's nothing wrong with being cautious and people will believe what they want to believe but these are my 'phones, it's my auction and they are what I say they are.

I bought them new from an authorized dealer. They have only left my possession when I sent them back to Grado for re-cabling. I doubt that they would switch the drivers without asking my permission. The driver cloth is black, just "bleached out" by the flash.

I've lurked at head-fi for a while but only recently registered so I realize that this post may not allay your suspicions. Nothing I can do about that.

Have a nice day.

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 27
Maybe Grado at some point sold a few HP-like headphones with out the HP-type drivers... Who knows... Maybe they had a few of the headband/earcup assembly units left on inventory and they decided to put SR drivers on them.
If indeed they came with SR drivers new, this would be the first time that I see a pair like this sold new in this state by Grado directly. I think a headfier once had a pair of HP-2 whose drivers went bad and he asked Grado to replace them with SR drivers.

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 27
Thanks for the suggestion, Moontan. I just sent this e-mail to info@gradolabs.com

Dear Sir or Madam,

There is a difference of opinion concerning the authenticity of one of your former products that has been offered for sale. If you have the time and inclination, would you please offer your comments on the subject?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/eba...-fishy-359457/

Thanks for your attention.

John Toste

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by johntoste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's nothing wrong with being cautious and people will believe what they want to believe but these are my 'phones, it's my auction and they are what I say they are.

I bought them new from an authorized dealer. They have only left my possession when I sent them back to Grado for re-cabling. I doubt that they would switch the drivers without asking my permission. The driver cloth is black, just "bleached out" by the flash.

I've lurked at head-fi for a while but only recently registered so I realize that this post may not allay your suspicions. Nothing I can do about that.

Have a nice day.

Hi john,

Thank you for taking the time to register and join us. I apologize for the blunt speculation on my part. We have a tight knit community here where people look out for one another and perhaps I got a little carried away explaining my thoughts and position.

With that said, I know most of us would love to see some additional pictures of your HP-1000's, specifically closeups of the grill area so we can see the driver in detail through the mesh. If we could clarify the driver issue it would only result in a greater final value for your auction. Also, what cable did they originally have and what cable did Grado Labs use as a replacement? Is there any writing on the new, currently installed cable? Why did the cable need to be replaced? Concerning the writing that was originally on the earcups, why was it completely removed?

Welcome to head-fi!

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe Grado at some point sold a few HP-like headphones with out the HP-type drivers... Who knows... Maybe they had a few of the headband/earcup assembly units left on inventory and they decided to put SR drivers on them.

grado had so many spare HP-1000 drivers that they put them in sr-100/sr-200 headphones.... as far as anyone knows, EVERY HP-1000 variant that left the grado factory (new) had the HP-1000 drivers in them.

Grado STILL has hp-1000 drivers as replacement parts. The idea that lack of parts may be an issue is not really accurate.
Quote:

If indeed they came with SR drivers new, this would be the first time that I see a pair like this sold new in this state by Grado directly. I thing a headfier once had a pair of HP-2 whose drivers went bad and he asked Grado to replace them with SR drivers.

Grado has indeed done this in the past, but it would be somewhat unscrupulous to call an HP-2 shell with whichever john grado driver an HP-2

around a year ago (perhaps slightly longer) there was a user here who bought a set of HP-2 under these EXACT circumstances. the seller had a LONG history of bait and switch, or starting an auction and refusing payment, or other dishonest behavior. I searched for the thread, but could not find it.

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
grado had so many spare HP-1000 drivers that they put them in sr-100/sr-200 headphones.... as far as anyone knows, EVERY HP-1000 variant that left the grado factory (new) had the HP-1000 drivers in them.

Grado STILL has hp-1000 drivers as replacement parts. The idea that lack of parts may be an issue is not really accurate.

But wait, in your nice assumption you are forgetting one very important factor: Joe Grado has/had the HP-1000 parts, not John. In fact that is the reason why a headfier had SR/RS drivers installed in his HP headphones when he sent them for repair to the Grado facilities. They did not have (or at least IIRC that is what the owner of the headphones wrote) replacement HP drivers. To this date one has to still deal with Joe Grado for replacement HP drivers as far as I know. (at least that is what he told me last time we spoke a few years back). When they put HP-type drivers in SR-100/200/325, it is my understanding that it was under the previous administration, i.e. Joe Grado. He may have taken all the remaining HP drivers with him when he left?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado has indeed done this in the past, but it would be somewhat unscrupulous to call an HP-2 shell with whichever john grado driver an HP-2

around a year ago (perhaps slightly longer) there was a user here who bought a set of HP-2 under these EXACT circumstances. the seller had a LONG history of bait and switch, or starting an auction and refusing payment, or other dishonest behavior. I searched for the thread, but could not find it.

We don't know what this specific set of headphones were called when they were originally sold by Grado to the current owner, do we? The current owner is the one claiming they are HP-2. Yet he has stated in the auction page that he does not have the packaging, so we know nothing about the marketing name for them. You can also notice that the "JG" logo in the middle is not present. In my personal experience with 2 pairs of HP-2 headphones I had in the past, the red lettering is prone to detachment, but that center logo was pretty sturdy. *but I admit it that the mileage may be different from pair to pair*

TO the owner of the auction: I don't think this pair has HP drivers, they are different. As to questioning the authenticity of the product? They do have Grado drivers in them. I don't think anyone can argue that they are not Grado headphones. I do not think they conform to the classical HP-2 definition that we have become to know for a decade.

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

But wait, in your nice assumption you are forgetting one very important factor: Joe Grado has/had the HP-1000 parts, not John. In fact that is the reason why a headfier had SR/RS drivers installed in his HP headphones when he sent them for repair to the Grado facilities. They did not have (or at least IIRC that is what the owner of the headphones wrote) replacement HP drivers. To this date one has to still deal with Joe Grado for replacement HP drivers as far as I know. (at least that is what he told me last time we spoke a few years back). When they put HP-type drivers in SR-100/200/325, it is my understanding that it was under the previous administration, i.e. Joe Grado. He may have taken all the remaining HP drivers with him when he left?

you do have to deal with joe grado personally to get new drivers for the HP-1000 family, but they are available.

in the past the decision to replace the HP-1000 drivers with RS-1 (or other) drivers has been driven purely by cost. If you want a new set of HP-1000 drivers they are available.
Quote:

We don't know what this specific set of headphones were called when they were originally sold by Grado to the current owner, do we? The current owner is the one claiming they are HP-2. Yet he has stated in the auction page that he does not have the packaging, so we know nothing about the marketing name for them. You can also notice that the "JG" logo in the middle is not present. In my personal experience with 2 pairs of HP-2 headphones I had in the past, the red lettering is prone to detachment, but that center logo was pretty sturdy. *but I admit it that the mileage may be different from pair to pair*

but he is specifically saying they are HP-2, which implies that they have HP-1000 drivers.

Calling an HP-2 with SR or RS series drivers an HP-2 is like calling an HD-650 with HD-580 drivers an HD-650...

The lettering on any of the hp-1000 cans comes off if you look at it sideways. Im more surprised that there are ANY of his headphones with letters left than that there are headphones without.
Quote:

TO the owner of the auction: I don't think this pair has HP drivers, they are different. As to questioning the authenticity of the product? They do have Grado drivers in them. I don't think anyone can argue that they are not Grado headphones. I do not think they conform to the classical HP-2 definition that we have become to know for a decade.

I don't doubt whether they have grado drivers or not, i doubt whether they have the RIGHT grado drivers. The issue at hand is the fact that the auction says that they are 100% original, and they dont have the parts that an original should have (with the exception of the cable, which is clearly stated). This makes all the difference in the world.

It is a sad thing to bid like you are getting 100% of an HP-2 only to get an HP-2 shell with who-knows-which Grado drivers.

Sep 1, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 27
Agree with your last paragraph, it would be a mistake to consider this pair a traditional HP-2

Sep 1, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 27
Well. you guys are nothing if not passionate. Let me reiterate that no one but Grado Labs has opened these cans. Before the lettering rubbed off from use, they did state HP 1000 on the rim and JG in the center of the outside of the can.

I sent them back to be re-cabled because the sound was cutting out. I don't remember what, if any printing was on the original cable. The new cable has no printing on it.

In this post, I am attempting to include more shots of the inside and outside of the cans. I hope the resolution of my camera is up to the task.

I also hope that an authoritative voice from Grado responds to my request for clarification.

moregrado001.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...regrado003.jpg

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 27
double post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back