Eating a turtle
Jun 29, 2015 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
So I visited a Chinese supermarket near my area and I discovered that they sell live soft shell turtles. Maybe I'll buy one but I need to learn how to butcher and prepare it. I'm thinking that it will probably taste amazing though despite the work. Also, it's a rare dish that even restaurants don't have available. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 22
  There's probably a video on u-tube on how to prepare them and on-line recipes.
I bet they taste good deep fried.
Bon appetit.

Just avoid the Asian chef turtle snuff movies... 
wink_face.gif

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 22
Come to think of it, preparation would be similar to a fish. Chop the head, tail and the four webbed claws. Then cut the belly open, pull out all the innards, wash and rinse, spread salt inside, dip in butter and drop in boiling hot cooking oil. Take out after a few minutes. Deep fried soft shell turtle.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 22
I once had an awesome bowl of snapping turtle soup at a restaurant in New Orleans. Really yummy!

The really big snappers are about as close to dinosaurs as you can get...

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 22
I've never seen that on the menu over here! Primarily because it would cost too much to import I guess but I'd be surprised if it was legal under EU law anyway. Almost all species of sea turtle are considered endangered, but maybe that's not the case for freshwater turtles, like the snapper.

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 22
If I remember correctly I saw it on the menu at an old restaurant in Philadelphia when I was a kid. From what I gather, turtle soup is an old American dish of a past era but now kind of out dated. I did try turtle soup as a kid and remember that it was good.

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 22
There are a couple of different types of "snapping turtle" - the big one in the picture above is an "alligator snapping turtle", and I think they are endangered. There is also a smaller type called a "common snapping turtle" that is not protected and I think can even be farm raised. That's the one that is sometimes seen on menus.

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 22
Sea turtles were open game through the early 60's, 70's. I've never taken any but have eaten it many times, mostly in soup or stew. There was a house near school with a garage that had 3 walls completely covered with shells. Like most other animals the Green Sea Turtle's meat is graded for quality/taste, depending on which part of the body it came from. 

My uncle who had a chicken farm, built a concrete pool to raise soft shell turtle, but got tired of it pretty quick.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #14 of 22
There are still places where sea turtles are raised for meat production. The most famous is probably on Grand Cayman:
https://www.turtle.ky/cayman-turtle-farm-speaks

I think it's pretty safe to say that if man can catch it and kill it, then somewhere in the world, someone wants to eat it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back