Easy to drive <$300 Open Ear Can recommendations for first time user?
Jan 12, 2014 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Actually for my girlfriend; will be used primarily for home use.
She listens to virtually ALL genres: hip-hop, electronic, rock, classical, jazz, etc...so something that can handle a little of everything would be ideal.

Also, I just don't have the money for an amp right now so would like got her to be able to drive this straight from her ipod/iphone.

I'm thinking maybe the Senn 598's. Agree or other rec?

Thanks for reading.

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 15
Um...  Right off the top of my head, I'd say a pair of NAD Viso HP50?  They aren't open, but do sound pretty darn good :wink:  She may also enjoy something alone the lines of the V-Moda M-100, although they are a little more than 300 and again aren't open.  They are a little on the bassy side though.  Another suggestion would also be a Focal Spirit One headphones.  They should fit the bill for what your GF may be looking for.  It really depends on what her sound preference is :wink: Those are of course, what I've heard.

Other suggestions that I haven't heard would be: PSB M4U 1 and HiFiMan HE-300.  There are others too, but that's all I can think up of off the top of my head.  Oh yeah, the UE 6000 may also be worth looking into. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 15
  Um...  Right off the top of my head, I'd say a pair of NAD Viso HP50?  They aren't open, but do sound pretty darn good :wink:  She may also enjoy something alone the lines of the V-Moda M-100, although they are a little more than 300 and again aren't open.  They are a little on the bassy side though.  Another suggestion would also be a Focal Spirit One headphones.  They should fit the bill for what your GF may be looking for.  It really depends on what her sound preference is :wink: Those are of course, what I've heard.

Other suggestions that I haven't heard would be: PSB M4U 1 and HiFiMan HE-300.  There are others too, but that's all I can think up of off the top of my head.  Oh yeah, the UE 6000 may also be worth looking into. 

Although I appreciate your reply, other than the HiFiMans, not one of your recommendations is open ear.

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 15
Sony MDR-MA900 is open can with amazing sound and soundstage.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 15
The 598s are a jack-of-all-trades, and won't sound lackluster with any genre you throw at it. It won't sound harsh with modern poorly-mastered albums either. They're also very comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the looks, but some find the headphones to look very classy. Highly recommended!

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 15
  The 598s are a jack-of-all-trades, and won't sound lackluster with any genre you throw at it. It won't sound harsh with modern poorly-mastered albums either. They're also very comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the looks, but some find the headphones to look very classy. Highly recommended!

Thanks Hedonism.

The looks are definitely a problem for me but am honestly not sure what she'd think.
Maybe since she would only use them at home it wouldn't be the biggest deal...

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 15
Any other suggestions?

Was thinking maybe the AKG 701/702's?

But am worried that she will have a hard time driving them with just an IPOD?

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Any other suggestions?

Was thinking maybe the AKG 701/702's?

But am worried that she will have a hard time driving them with just an IPOD?

I don't own a pair of the Q/K 701/702, but have read and heard the following;

They require an amp to do their best, they are very good for classical music, but not so good with rock, pop, rap and other styles.

Perhaps someone who owns a set can give more insight.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 15
I don't own a pair of the Q/K 701/702, but have read and heard the following;

They require an amp to do their best, they are very good for classical music, but not so good with rock, pop, rap and other styles.

Perhaps someone who owns a set can give more insight.

Thanks Marone. I have read reviews that allude to the same thing.

So...what is the Jack of All Trades in this price range?
Maybe I should look at the 595? (assuming I can still get one). They look a heck of alot better than the 598's and apparently they handle a wide range of musical genres.

Sonido-dont know much about the 990's but will look into them.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 15
I used my K702 through my phone a few times and it was passable. It sounded rather veiled, but it wasn't the train wreck people here make it out to be. I loved the MA900 I demoed through my phone though; I'd hope it would improve with some more power, but I was quite surprised by how easy it was to drive.

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 15
If not the HD598, the HD558 will be more than satisfactory. There's even a mod available that takes the HD558 to extremely close to the HD598 in performance. Plus, the black looks a lot better.

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 15
For a more neutral sound the DT880 32 ohm is better. It's generally more well-regarded than DT990 on here. Also looks better imo. It's $300 after coupon from Razordog Audio.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 15
Ok, I think I am going to go with the 32 ohm DT 990's.
They seem to be a relative jack-of-all-trades and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.
Easy to drive as well; seems like a good starter set.

Thanks to all for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back