Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
Feb 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #946 of 1,148
Hi peepz,

MiniMax newb here - bought the original version of the dac recently and am mapping out my mods. I got a couple of questions after inspecting this topic but let's start with something
straightforward - could you pls give me the exact specs of the fuse used in the dac, also some tried and tested brands and places I can source them from (need to be shipped to Europe tho).

Many thanks

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #947 of 1,148

Quote:
Hi peepz,

MiniMax newb here - bought the original version of the dac recently and am mapping out my mods. I got a couple of questions after inspecting this topic but let's start with something
straightforward - could you pls give me the exact specs of the fuse used in the dac, also some tried and tested brands and places I can source them from (need to be shipped to Europe tho).

Many thanks

If you live in Europe (220V), the fuse would be 500ma small slow blow. Analogue Seduction in the UK seems to carry some of the good fuse like Hi-fi tuning and Furutech.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #949 of 1,148
Burson V2 set review compared with dual OPA2604/single AD797 which I was trying for the few weeks prior.

Just installed full set of Burson HDAMs v2. Surprised. So far low end is considerably improved. Much more punchy and accurate to say the least. Treble rolled out, pleasing change. Anyone experiencing sibilance issues should definitely give these opamps a go, makes tracks with strong female vocals much more enjoyable.

Also vocals are more foward, instrument seperation is refined. However due to this, sometimes slight audible white noise is picked up especially for old classicial piano pieces.

ABX testing with mp3 derived from the lossless track remain at a 75%~ sucess, probably will improve once I get used to this sound signature. Using JH16s makes the low end change much more noticable and even more so with speaker output. The volume seems to have dipped around about a 5-10% decrease on the WA2 volume pot.

Gear used:

Foobar2000 ASIO -> M-Audio Delta 2496 -> Original EE Minimax (Quad Burson V2) -> WooAudio WA2 (JAN-Syl 7308 | JJ EZ81 | Tung-Sol 7236) (as pre with speaker output chain)

Output:

-> Beyer T1
-> JH16s
-> HLLY TAMP-20 (set at 3'o'clock) -> Usher M-520 speakers.

Cables (if you really must know):

Iron lung jelly power cables.
Whatmough Ref Blue Interconnect Cables
QED Qunex Reference 75 Digital Interconnect
Chord Carnival SilverScreen speaker cable terminated bi-amp

Tracks (all lossless):

Senjougahara, Tore by Kousaki Satoru
사랑해 사랑해 (feat. 써니 of 소녀시대) by MIRYO aka JOHONEY
Leggo (feat. 나르샤 of 브라운아이드걸스) by MIRYO aka JOHONEY
Halo by Beyonce
Rolling In The Deep by Adele
행복병 (feat. 상추 By MM) by Kim Jong Kook
Beautiful World by Utada Hikaru
Come back to me by Utada Hikaru
Flavor of life by Utada Hikaru
Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari by Supercell
Loveless by 山下智久
Beat It by Michael Jackson
Flower Dance by DJ Okawari
I'm So Bad by T-ara
Symphony No.9 In E Minor, Op.95, From The New World - Allegro Con Fuoco by Dvorak
Rondo Allegro (Sonate Nr. 8, C-Min. Op. 13) by L.v. Beethoven
Hotel California by ,Akapelleando
吻别 by 张学友
Connecticut Early Music Festivaal Ensemble-Winter (The Four Seasons) by Chesky Records
Kiss The Rain by Yiruma
River Flows In You by Yiruma
Dumping the fool by Shinkichi Mitsumune
Shyness by Shinkichi Mitsumune
Passed Away by Shinkichi Mitsumune
Noble by Shinkichi Mitsumune
One more time, One more chance PIANO ver. by TENMON
Kiss by TENMON
Deai... by Naoki Sato
theme of SSS by Anant-Garde Eyes
KING KAZMA by Matsumoto Akihiko

The case lid on the second picture is lifted and not pushing any weight on the opamps, its resting on triangle shaped pieces of foam only temp until I get longer screws and a better place holder. The second single Burson V2 just fits. Cable for the input selector is very close as you can see.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #950 of 1,148
Thats a really nice mod ^ i've seen a couple of users using the bursons on their minimax dac. Btw...to all of you modders, this is worth checking out. (a fellow diy'er told me about this)

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #951 of 1,148
curious as to why you didn't go with the flexible wired version?  That way the lid would have fit back on.  

I've been thinking of the Bursons, but they seem like such an extreme power drain, I've too nervous to try.  But it's encouraging to hear that they sound good nonetheless!

Have you disabled/rerouted the volume control yet?  Many have claimed that is one of the biggest improvements you can make to the original version.

btw - can anyone tell me whats up with the knobs on this one?  Just a switch out, or a prior version?

full sized image:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fB59OEloi9Q/TqWpZ_QfRDI/AAAAAAAAAvI/s7gf0_ipvQk/s1600/SDIM0076.jpg

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #952 of 1,148

Quote:
curious as to why you didn't go with the flexible wired version?  That way the lid would have fit back on.  

I've been thinking of the Bursons, but they seem like such an extreme power drain, I've too nervous to try.  But it's encouraging to hear that they sound good nonetheless!

Have you disabled/rerouted the volume control yet?  Many have claimed that is one of the biggest improvements you can make to the original version.

btw - can anyone tell me whats up with the knobs on this one?  Just a switch out, or a prior version?

full sized image:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fB59OEloi9Q/TqWpZ_QfRDI/AAAAAAAAAvI/s7gf0_ipvQk/s1600/SDIM0076.jpg

According to the Op of the post, he bought the knobs from ebay. You can take a look at the comments he made. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #953 of 1,148

Umm the Burson's wires seems a little too thin for my liking. I've ordered Audio-gd's DIP8 extention cables though, once they come I should be able to put the lid back on. After trying out various combos I noted AD797 single version draws even more than my burson singles. Bursons v2 are very efficient, although you only get three choices with discrete opamps. Bursons, LEXA or Audio-gd. And yes I've bypassed the volume pot too.
Quote:

full sized image:

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #954 of 1,148
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for an EE DAC plus, but maybe someone who has this DAC can help me out a little bit ?

I have a Vincent S-6 (Hybrid) cd-player which sound i still like very much. No i'm looking for a DAC with a comparable sound, and 
i think the EE DAC plus can be something i'm searching for ? Is there maybe someone who knows both units ?

For now i use the REGA DAC for PC listening, sure a good DAC but i miss a little the smoothness of my cd player, and i 
think that is because of the tube. The problem is that i can't listen to it first in the Netherlands, i have to buy it on-line from Germany or Belgium.

Thanks,
Arjan

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #955 of 1,148

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for an EE DAC plus, but maybe someone who has this DAC can help me out a little bit ?

I have a Vincent S-6 (Hybrid) cd-player which sound i still like very much. No i'm looking for a DAC with a comparable sound, and 
i think the EE DAC plus can be something i'm searching for ? Is there maybe someone who knows both units ?

For now i use the REGA DAC for PC listening, sure a good DAC but i miss a little the smoothness of my cd player, and i 
think that is because of the tube. The problem is that i can't listen to it first in the Netherlands, i have to buy it on-line from Germany or Belgium.

Thanks,
Arjan

One of the great things about the EE DAC is the ability to completely change the sound signature by changing op-amps and tubes.  You can make it sound as mellow and smooth or strong and detailed as you want!

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #956 of 1,148
Hi Guys,

I have tried the GD-Audio discrete OPAmp which most people copied. Anyway, as it says on the description, this one has earthy sound.

7b066e6b.jpg

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #957 of 1,148

How modules of the audio-gd hdam did you plug in?

I don't know what that is gonna do to your transformer coils.

The current draw for the single is 28ma and the dual is 58ma.

That is a lot more compared to the Burson op-amps or the Dexa op-amps.
Quote:
Hi Guys,
I have tried the GD-Audio discrete OPAmp which most people copied. Anyway, as it says on the description, this one has earthy sound.
7b066e6b.jpg

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #958 of 1,148
The Audio-GD discrete OPamp works just fine in my EE DAC.  I always thought that the EE DAC rails are rated @ 200mA.  (I will not be responsible if you do the same to your DAC!).

Audio-GD are much cheaper than the competition.  However, OPamp alone does not bring the EE DAC to the second level.  

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #960 of 1,148

Quote:
Umm the Burson's wires seems a little too thin for my liking. I've ordered Audio-gd's DIP8 extention cables though, once they come I should be able to put the lid back on. After trying out various combos I noted AD797 single version draws even more than my burson singles. Bursons v2 are very efficient, although you only get three choices with discrete opamps. Bursons, LEXA or Audio-gd. And yes I've bypassed the volume pot too.

Just FYI, I contacted Burson about this, and they told me - as did Audio-Gd - that the DIP8 extension cables are not a good idea unless you absolutely have to use them, as they will certainly degrade the sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back