Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
Jun 13, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #213 of 1,148

Quote:
Let me know how the dual 797 sounds in U1 and U2 I have some ordered but ordered from overseas and it will take a couple weeks to get here I am very interested if the dual 797's will warm up the system a bit... sounds like you have it covered
biggrin.gif

You can always get a silver fuse that brightens the sound just a tad believe it or not.. but right now they are scarce Boulder Cable used to sell them but they cannot get stock..

MrScary, Just switched to all 797 Op-amps and what a difference,,,,, So the duals and the singles together produced a deeper wider sound stage, but more importantly is that the detail came out even more (IN MY SYSTEM), even more so then the 49990's... Don't hesitate in putting them in when you get yours... Now, Tom (Bubu1) thinks the SS output produces an even deeper sound stage then the tube output, and I'd have to agree.....But I've got everything else tube in my system so "brightness" isn't a problem...... These op-amps take this Dac up several notches and I know Boulder Mods and many others don't care for these 797's and prefer the 49990's which I also like, but as of now the dual and single 797's are my op-amps of choice..........Let me know what you think when you get yours........This Dac with it's flexibility has got to be the best piece of audio equipment for digital music (high Res. and even CD quality) sound that I've bought in a few years..and I've tried and listened to a few dacs in my day........I hope others give this little EE Mini an audition (if they don't need Balanced outputs)!    It's just that good for what little it cost even with the mods.....

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #214 of 1,148

Quote:

MrScary, Just switched to all 797 Op-amps and what a difference,,,,, So the duals and the singles together produced a deeper wider sound stage, but more importantly is that the detail came out even more (IN MY SYSTEM), even more so then the 49990's... Don't hesitate in putting them in when you get yours... Now, Tom (Bubu1) thinks the SS output produces an even deeper sound stage then the tube output, and I'd have to agree.....But I've got everything else tube in my system so "brightness" isn't a problem...... These op-amps take this Dac up several notches and I know Boulder Mods and many others don't care for these 797's and prefer the 49990's which I also like, but as of now the dual and single 797's are my op-amps of choice..........Let me know what you think when you get yours........This Dac with it's flexibility has got to be the best piece of audio equipment for digital music (high Res. and even CD quality) sound that I've bought in a few years..and I've tried and listened to a few dacs in my day........I hope others give this little EE Mini an audition (if they don't need Balanced outputs)!    It's just that good for what little it cost even with the mods.....

Interestingly, the SS output on mine also produces a larger soundstage than tube. The latter is just more meaty and liquid in the mids, which is especially good for poor recordings.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #215 of 1,148

I've a few 12au/av/ay7s for you to try on the tube side.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #216 of 1,148
Man thats awesome... cant wait to get mine I had a feeling the dual 797's would be the ticket

Quote:

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #217 of 1,148
Glad to see you guys having so much fun with your MM.

Reminds me of when I had my Mav D1....changing opamps and tubes.

Just curious, has anyone tried changing or better yet bypassing the fuse?  To me bypassing the Mav D1's fuse produced the greatest returns on sound.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #218 of 1,148

Quote:

I could not agree more! Listening to Duke's main rig is pretty amazing after his latest op amp upgrade.  If I hadn't heard the improvement myself, I would not believe it.  The AD797's really do bring this DAC to another level.  As much as the LME49990's improved the sound over the stock op amps, the 797's provide a bit more cohesiveness, the soundstage is greatly improved and the overall sound signature is more liquid!  Its amazing how good this little DAC sounds.  The $150 investment in op amps is well worth it IMO.
If I did not already have the Headroom UDAC (which I absolutely love and is unfortunately underrated!!!), this would be on my short list of DAC's to get!!!

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #219 of 1,148

Quote:
Glad to see you guys having so much fun with your MM.

Reminds me of when I had my Mav D1....changing opamps and tubes.

Just curious, has anyone tried changing or better yet bypassing the fuse?  To me bypassing the Mav D1's fuse produced the greatest returns on sound.

I have a silver fuse in my Minimax I could actually notice a difference

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #220 of 1,148

Quote:
I have a silver fuse in my Minimax I could actually notice a difference

Same. The Acme silver fuse made a difference in soundstage and air.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #221 of 1,148
I am using the Supreme HiFi Tuning fuse with very good results.  There is no question there is an improvement in my set up - similar to a tube or cable upgrade.

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #224 of 1,148

Quote:
Just figured out that the Supreme HiFi Tuning fuse goes for $55. I think that amount of money is better spent on op-amp or a tube.

They make a noticeable difference...I had those same fuses in my GS-1 amp. For those who can afford to buy them, I say why not?

Jun 16, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #225 of 1,148
Well I got my AD797's in today and switched out all 4 my immediate impression is exactly as I expected a nice warm tube sound the opamps have helped my system reduce the harshness I was getting with the combo of the AD823 and my silver Interconnect between the Minimax and my amp (Lyr)

1. AD797 In dual position with tube -- Nice and warm no harshness to the sound more realistic than the AD823 but loses a bit of soundstage.
2. AD797 in dual position and AD797 in single position SS turned on -- Same sound the AD797 is known for its tube like sound you cant tell the difference between the two or should I say very little differnce.
3. My final opinion is that the AD797's in all 4 positions is great for those that seek a true tube like sound, want to reduce any harshness in the highs in their system, want a more realistic experience sound
4. I give the upgrade a 9 out of 10.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back