EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread
Apr 2, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #1,231 of 1,544
Thought I'll chime in on the Supra + Silver Dragon pairing (since I just received it after retermination), and will compare it to my memory of the Supra plus Linum BaX (I've sold it off).

In summary:
Significantly improved 1) separation, 2) clarity, 3) soundstage. I got mine second hand and feel that it is a worthwhile upgrade to the Linum Bax, kicks the Supras up a notch in terms of SQ. I'd imagine it would make the Legend R sound even better than it already is.

*do note that I'm using this with custom Supras, and not the universal version. Maybe @moedawg140 can give his impressions for that comparison.

Some background:
When I first received my Supras it took some time to get used to customs (since it is my first CIEM), and I felt that the soundstage was very closed in and small. Considering that I was coming from the Aurisonics Rockets, which had a slightly larger soundstage, I did take some time to adjust to the new sound signature. I did spend some time going around audio shops and trying out different cables. One thing I noted was that almost every other cable I auditioned gave a larger sense of space. I suspect that the Linum BaX's high impedance leading to added warmth causes the stage to feel more closed in. With the BaX I was getting a bottom tilted kind of signature, which is a departure from what I normally would prefer. For those of us with both universal and custom Supras I think the difference in signature is clearly discernible. The universal has a airier, open kind of feel with better treble response, more sparkly. The custom is darker with better bass response but treble takes a slight hit.

With the BaX, bass had good extension and weight but was a little too much for my tastes. Mids felt slightly forward, and the treble sounded slightly recessed to my ears. This I guessed was because of the deep fit of the customs, which improves the bass response but might alter the signature a little. The presentation on the whole felt a little raw but I still thought it was a decent for a first CIEM.

With the Silver Dragon, my first impressions were that it was a lot cleaner and had a more refined presentation than the BaX, together with a slightly larger stage and layering capabilities. Bass retains the extension but becomes significantly tighter, which is much more to my liking. The mids had become more... refined - much closer to the Rocket's magical mids. Treble was a nice surprise: I was getting better detail and extension without any harshness or sibilance, and it no longer felt recessed. Cymbal crashes are more pronounced and lost the slightly fuzzy edge that I had been hearing with the BaX. 

I also own a plussound hybrid litz cable (was using this after I sold the linum), and right off the bat I would say that the SD edges out the hybrid litz marginally - in terms of more refined treble and marginally better separation.

I would highly recommend this cable as an upgrade for the Supras. Will give more thoughts when I do more careful listening. Hope this is helpful!

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #1,234 of 1,544
Totally agree with average Joe's mini comparison. The legend really has mids that's worth to die for... Very forward and very very accurate articulation of the mids.

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #1,235 of 1,544
Well, in my opinion LR does not have an aggressive sound. Yes it recreates notes close to face, but it doesn't make it aggressive. I would rather call it full bodied-weighty. When compared to H8P, Legend does have a better note presentation with a more natural-realistic tone. H8P has an advantage within its soundstage dimensions.  

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #1,236 of 1,544
  Well, in my opinion LR does not have an aggressive sound. Yes it recreates notes close to face, but it doesn't make it aggressive. I would rather call it full bodied-weighty. When compared to H8P, Legend does have a better note presentation with a more natural-realistic tone. H8P has an advantage within its soundstage dimensions.  

I fully agree. My LR review should be out in a week or 2

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #1,237 of 1,544
Hmm Yeap, I'm thinking that he described it as aggressive due to the very forward mids and legends emphasis on the vocals.

I will be able to compare more with my ct500 once it touch down as ct500 has one of the most forward mids I have heard too!

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #1,238 of 1,544

I fully agree. My LR review should be out in a week or 2

Looking forward to it. 

Hmm Yeap, I'm thinking that he described it as aggressive due to the very forward mids and legends emphasis on the vocals.

I will be able to compare more with my ct500 once it touch down as ct500 has one of the most forward mids I have heard too!

Yes probably mate it is, but forward mids are mostly linked to stage dimensions and background position in LR case.. LR's mids are not thin nor bright, and it does not have a fatiguing mid-presentation. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #1,239 of 1,544
Looking forward to it. 

Yes probably mate it is, but forward mids are mostly linked to stage dimensions and background position in LR case.. LR's mids are not thin nor bright, and it does not have a fatiguing mid-presentation. 

Hmm I agree that the mids are not too thin nor bright, and yes the listening is totally non fatiguing. In fact the mids has this reverb that places accurate emphasis on the end notes thus making string instruments very delightful to listen.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #1,242 of 1,544
Totally agree too. Even more with the slight comparison to how the H8Pro sound.

Currently waiting for my PENTA and I hope the difference in soundstage size will be noticable right away.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #1,243 of 1,544
Apr 7, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,245 of 1,544

Users who are viewing this thread

Back