EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
Apr 21, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #721 of 1,557
  The Velvet's review by average_joe is up on The Headphone List! 

http://theheadphonelist.com/ciem_review/earsonics-velvet-in-ear-monitor-review/

I am glad it favors so well against the TOTL Lear LCM BD4.2 :)

Good read 
smily_headphones1.gif

Couldn't agree more with: "If you want EarSonics sound at a lower price, the SM64 can give it to you, but spending extra on the Velvet will take you to another level."

Couldn't disagree more with: "With the Velvet in position 3 (V-shape), these two earphones aren'€™t too far off from each other, but the Velvet adds warmth and detail vs. the smoother, more relaxed IE800.

The IE800 is night and day difference with the Velvet (think I speak for Obsidyen as well :wink:).. I wonder what music he listened to..

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #722 of 1,557
  Good read 
smily_headphones1.gif

Couldn't agree more with: "If you want EarSonics sound at a lower price, the SM64 can give it to you, but spending extra on the Velvet will take you to another level."

Couldn't disagree more with: "With the Velvet in position 3 (V-shape), these two earphones aren'€™t too far off from each other, but the Velvet adds warmth and detail vs. the smoother, more relaxed IE800.

The IE800 is night and day difference with the Velvet (think I speak for Obsidyen as well :wink:).. I wonder what music he listened to..

I never heard the IE800 so no idea. Other than that his impression in general is spot on with mine. 

Over the last few days I have switched to the warm mode (was using the balanced mode exclusively since I got them) and I am loving it so far with hip hop/dubstep or any kind of electronic music. That hard hitting yet creamy and textural bass is just yummy!! The sub bass rumble from this BA driver is astounding. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #723 of 1,557

Well I would def not buy it new, maybe second hand if I could get if for 350 euro or so :wink: A head fi friend said that the Z5 with the DX90 sounds better than the Tralucent 1p2 (although the 1p2 sounds better than the Z5 with the X5). And someone else told me they preferred the Z5 for its fun factor over other top iems he had. It sounds like the Z5, like the Velvet, could be a 'special' iem that is underpriced and performs well. I don't think it's better than the Velvet, just nice in a very different way probably that's why I'm curious. Just like my Rti1 and 8.A are nice in their own way compared to the Velvet, none is objectively better it just depends on the music and preference (even though theres a pretty big price gap between them).

Ok, tell us your impressions once you get them. 
smile.gif

IE800 more relaxed? No way... IE800 highs can often be piercing and sibilant, which causes ear fatigue. Velvet highs are much smoother and more refined. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #724 of 1,557
Over the last few days I have switched to the warm mode (was using the balanced mode exclusively since I got them) and I am loving it so far with hip hop/dubstep or any kind of electronic music. That hard hitting yet creamy and textural bass is just yummy!! The sub bass rumble from this BA driver is astounding. 

If you like bass you could consider an amp :) The Velvet's bass is so qualitatively good it only gets better when amped. I have the Arrow 5P but I think the C5 is a good budget option (like $150 new or so)

Ok, tell us your impressions once you get them. 
smile.gif

Well I'm interested but I'm putting a hold on buying new iems for now. Besides, I like to buy iems stragetically; different specializations for different music and I think the Velvet and Z5 are roughly the same genre of iem.

But I might consider one if it pops up for a great price :)

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #725 of 1,557

If you like bass you could consider an amp :) The Velvet's bass is so qualitatively good it only gets better when amped. I have the Arrow 5P but I think the C5 is a good budget option (like $150 new or so)

Currently I am using the DX90 as a source which I think is more than adequate to be honest. Adding an amp adds too much bulk and detracts from portability (80% of my listening is done on commutes). 

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #726 of 1,557
  Currently I am using the DX90 as a source which I think is more than adequate to be honest. Adding an amp adds too much bulk and detracts from portability (80% of my listening is done on commutes). 

Fair enough. An amp really isn't necessary for the Velvet, it sounds great without. It just makes the sound fuller and adds a ****load of bass, but whether that suits you depends on the music you listen to :) I also listen primarily portable btw, the headstage is only about 7 mm thin (and a lot smaller than daps).

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #727 of 1,557
Just a quick FYI; reshelling black Velvets to Crystal is 72 euro + shipping (not 60). It's 60 without tax (very un-European to mention that after the fact). But at least their service is quick. Got word two days after they received it. Hope they replaced the left dial..

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #729 of 1,557

HI, like you, I have a DX90 for now associated with a Shure SRH-940 headphones. And I plan to offer me the Velvet soon. Out of curiosity, I would like to know what DX90 firmwares do you use and why, and with what Velvet mode? And did you finally replaced the cable to the velvet?

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #730 of 1,557

HI, like you, I have a DX90 for now associated with a Shure SRH-940 headphones. And I plan to offer me the Velvet soon. Out of curiosity, I would like to know what DX90 firmwares do you use and why, and with what Velvet mode? And did you finally replaced the cable to the velvet?

I am using the 2.1.5 Lurker FW (as mentioned in my sig) - simply because it is stable. I cannot seem to hear the differences between FWs as others seem to be hearing in the DX90 thread.

Till recently I was using the balanced mode but now have switched to the warm mode for the little boost in bass. The differences between the modes are not really that big IMO. It is definitely noticeable but certainly not drastic. On a busy street it would be impossible for me to say which mode I am listening to. All the 3 modes retain the general Velvet signature while making small changes in the bass or treble relative to the mids.  

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #731 of 1,557
Ok. Many Thanks for you reply omastic , even if it seems that we do not have the same auditory sensitivity :wink: (Because I really hear all the difference in firmware change, but that's another subject). But I can not wait to get my hand on these Velvets.

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #732 of 1,557
Is anyone using velvet with cayin n6 or ak 100ii. I have plans to buy one of these daps but I couldn't decide it yet.

I use my Velvets with an AK120 II via a balanced Linum Bax cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back