Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
May 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #1,172 of 1,656
I'm running filterless (au naturale...), sounds better, very nice, have a number of sources, ipod touch, Fiio X3 into Ray Samuels HR-2, also PC through JRiver/Geek Out 1000, others but these are the main sources.

May 25, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #1,173 of 1,656
  For anyone interested, this cheap cable from Luna Shops arrived this week and it'll be an excellent backup!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261400258237?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

No microphonics, great build quality, good length, heavy duty nylon sleeving. All for under $20.

Just got this cable in the mail today. It'll make do as a cheap backup but is a definite downgrade over the stock cable to my ears. I've only given it a quick test so far but there seems to be a loss of clarity and sparkle in the top end to my ears.

May 25, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #1,174 of 1,656
Just got this cable in the mail today. It'll make do as a cheap backup but is a definite downgrade over the stock cable to my ears. I've only given it a quick test so far but there seems to be a loss of clarity and sparkle in the top end to my ears.

You've got better ears than me!

At the very least it should last a while as a backup, very durable,

May 25, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,175 of 1,656
I normally take 'tweaks' with a grain of salt but I went ahead and removed the filters from my SM64 v2's and in a word: IT DESTROYS THE SOUND! Without the filters in place it sounds bright and shrilly. The bass response is GONE. Sounds like a $5 cheap IEM. I put them right back in place and they now sound as they should, wonderful. If you love your SM64's don't fall for this bogus 'tweak'. You might end up physically harming them too.

May 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,176 of 1,656
I would like to know how they sound with different filters but going completely without them is a no-no for me.

May 25, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #1,177 of 1,656
  I normally take 'tweaks' with a grain of salt but I went ahead and removed the filters from my SM64 v2's and in a word: IT DESTROYS THE SOUND! Without the filters in place it sounds bright and shrilly. The bass response is GONE. Sounds like a $5 cheap IEM. I put them right back in place and they now sound as they should, wonderful. If you love your SM64's don't fall for this bogus 'tweak'. You might end up physically harming them too.

That may be a stretch my friend. At the very least you could say something like "well the sound certainly wasn't for me." But to say that a triple armature audiophilic IEM sounds like $5 because it's filter was removed is a little ridiculous. That's like saying a Ferrari drives like a Civic because it's window is rolled down...

There are multiple users with good reputations on this thread who enjoy the filter mod, myself included.  

May 25, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,178 of 1,656
  That may be a stretch my friend. At the very least you could say something like "well the sound certainly wasn't for me." But to say that a triple armature audiophilic IEM sounds like $5 because it's filter was removed is a little ridiculous. That's like saying a Ferrari drives like a Civic because it's window is rolled down...

There are multiple users with good reputations on this thread who enjoy the filter mod, myself included.  

I have had these for some time and really enjoy them. Just not sure of an easy way to pull the filter.

May 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #1,179 of 1,656
Hi all,

new owner of the SM64 here.

Curious about what will happen to the sound if I decided to pull out the filter.

Will it enhance the treble/highs while decreasing the bass punch ? Have read the entire thread but haven't really understand what will happen to the SQ with filter gone.

Oh and about the whole 5Khz dip/suck out thing about a year back, what kind of sounds are usually found in that region anyway ? Tried to to google it but haven't found any real answer yet.

May 26, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #1,180 of 1,656
Hi all,

Curious about what will happen to the sound if I decided to pull out the filter.

Will it enhance the treble/highs while decreasing the bass punch ? Have read the entire thread but haven't really understand what will happen to the SQ with filter gone.

Oh and about the whole 5Khz dip/suck out thing about a year back, what kind of sounds are usually found in that region anyway ? Tried to to google it but haven't found any real answer yet.

I think for most of us, the change in sound quality has to do with opening up the treble more than anything else. Idk about changes in bass response.

No comment on the 5khz bit

May 26, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #1,182 of 1,656
Hi all,

If I can offer you some advice... Enjoy them as they are for now. The filters aren't going anywhere. I read all about the 5khz dip and watched the Godzilla like panic ensue. Even people on previous pages touting how good they sound jumping ship. They are a great sounding iem, good enough I sold a UM3X and W4R. So just enjoy them and when boredom sets in pull filters if you want.

May 26, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,183 of 1,656
Wow!  I can't believe how long ago I started this thread!  Anyways, I sold my SM64 like 6 months ago and I think I want back in the club, I have missed them ever since.  What a great IEM, it's what I wished the UM3x was.

Does pulling the filter do anything that you can do with EQ?

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 26, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,184 of 1,656
Wow!  I can't believe how long ago I started this thread!  Anyways, I sold my SM64 like 6 months ago and I think I want back in the club, I have missed them ever since.  What a great IEM, it's what I wished the UM3x was.

Does pulling the filter do anything that you can do with EQ?

I feel they are a great iem for listening to music. I enjoyed my UM3X and I enjoyed my W4R more but the SM64 replaced both. I will admit I have wanted to try a 1000.00 iem like the Shure 846 just to see if I get twice the sound for twice the price, but I bet no.

May 26, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #1,185 of 1,656
I'm going footloose and filter free straight of out of an X3. Hopefully tomorrow it will be an X5!

Curious, how did you pull them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back