Earsonics SM3 v2. Fit, feel, soundstage are worth the price?
Dec 7, 2011 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jaiavay

New Head-Fier
Not being able to take my Lynn and Waferdales everywhere, I need a good pair of IEMs. A while ago I found the Q-Jays better than the Etymotics Er4P where I found the latter too clinical a sound.

I recently noticed high raves on the Earsonics SM3s and am interested in any reviews on the v2 that are just out. But I find it strange that its ranked #2 on Head-Fi but Jude Mansilla makes no mention of them in his 2011 Christmas guide (agreed he's talking of 999$+ IEMs).

Is there any good review, or any pro who has compared it to similar or better IEMs? WIthout custom moulds - are these really worth the money? How do they match against Shure 535?

I'd like some honest audiophile help. I might not have access to all IEMs to test before I make my purchase.

My genre - Classical, Trance, Electro house, Funk, Jazz and vocals.

p.s. What makes the music sound full to the ears, is it a slightly pronounced bass or mids?

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Sm3 V2 is not so much spoken about on Headfi. Sm3 was ranked #1 for months a while ago.
(I have not even seen a review on Sm3 V2.)
But Sm3 V2 sounds just like Sm3 so any review on SM3 will do for you.
Price wise I can recommend cheaper option: Ortofon e-Q7  and to my liking ortofons are superior.
You listening to Classical, will probably find Sm3 v2 not so crisp and transparent. e-Q7 are absolute match for classical genre.
plenty of reviews on ortofons all over the net.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 7
Check out this

http://www.head-fi.org/t/527305/comparison-review-earsonics-sm3-vs-earsonics-em3-pro-vs-earpower-ep-10-plus-vs-audeze-lcd-2-vs-beyerdynamic-tesla-t1

I have compared EM3 (better version of SM3) to SE 535. They have different sound signatures. but both very mid forward. I perfer EM3 in every aspect. I know it's not fair. SM3 sounds even darker than EM3. EM3 is already really dark for me. SE 535 sounds a bit natural. For your genres I kind of feel SE 535 fits the bill better. check out the comparison between EM3 and SM3 u can sort of get an idea.

Hope this helps.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 7
SM3 definitely has more bass impact. more energy. Both EM3 and SE 535 sound slow to me. SE 535 is a bit shy in bass department. Bass decay is lazy. Check out the new SE 535 limited edition. I heard they improved the sound to make it sound faster.

But to be fair. I think SE 535 throws more details.

Comfort wise. Never tried SM3. but SE 535 's comfort cannot get better. fits perfectly

Quote:
Thanks, though I wouldn't want solely Classical music, thats 10% when I travel, to be my decision maker.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 7
I really love the full, organic, liquid. a little darker sound. So for me SM3 might be the best sounding universal IEMs.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 7
the sm3s are thick sounding.
some notes are too thick and too good to be true and not much honest in the reality.

if youre looking for some addictive and super smooth sound...youre looking into the right way.
the spacial 3d soundstage is very amusing, very holographic, instrument separation is at its best.

but. beware also.
it has a veiled treble, and some details that can be found on the treble cant be heard much here.
a bad or a good thing...it depends on the track that youre listening and the kind of music youre into.

buying one wouldnt be a mistake!
thats for sure.
youll never find something like this in any iem. (ortofon eq7 might be good than sm3, but there are also something dull with the eq7).
i can sleep with my sm3 on, unlike the eq7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back