EarSonics SM3 or Shure SE535?
Jul 9, 2010 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all.
So here's my dilemma I have the UM2 and the E4c, and have for what seems a long while.
I'm looking for an upgrade and these (SM3 or SE535) can run me about the same amount of money. So which one?

I listen to mostly acoustic music... Classical (early), Jazz (standards), folk, bluegrass, Irish etc. Some rock, like classic (Hendrix, Zep, Cream), and the occasional ska-punk (Rancid).

I'm looking for good detail from top to bottom with no perceived roll-offs. Good tonal balance and if they have to be coloured, let them be slightly warm.
wink_face.gif

Anyone compare them directly?

Your thoughts?

Thanks

shane

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 7
I have a feeling this will open a can of worms...a big can of worms
tongue_smile.gif

Having only heard the SM3, I can say that acoustic music, classical, and jazz sound like a dream on them. Saxophones come to life, you can look up and see the saxophonist there playing in front of you (superb imaging, really breathtaking). I haven't heard any roll-off with the SM3, and their signature is not the least bit fatiguing to me.

I've read great things about the SE535 as well, but since I haven't listened to them for a direct comparison, I don't have any impressions for them.

By the way, I moved from Shure SCL4's/E4C's to IE8's and to SM3's, and I feel like the sound quality difference was a leap each upgrade. So either way, I think you will hear a great improvement moving from the E4C's to either IEM.

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I assume there will be a pretty good improvement with either...
wink_face.gif

I have read much about the SM3 and know that it's an exceptional IEM, I'm interested in the comparison with the SE535 as they are easier to acquire and probably easier to deal with in the event of issues.

Also are those that have heard and love the SM3 (and the SE530) classical / acoustic / jazz music lovers as well?

shane

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
I have a feeling this will open a can of worms...a big can of worms
tongue_smile.gif

Having only heard the SM3, I can say that acoustic music, classical, and jazz sound like a dream on them. Saxophones come to life, you can look up and see the saxophonist there playing in front of you (superb imaging, really breathtaking). I haven't heard any roll-off with the SM3, and their signature is not the least bit fatiguing to me.

I've read great things about the SE535 as well, but since I haven't listened to them for a direct comparison, I don't have any impressions for them.

By the way, I moved from Shure SCL4's/E4C's to IE8's and to SM3's, and I feel like the sound quality difference was a leap each upgrade. So either way, I think you will hear a great improvement moving from the E4C's to either IEM.

++! Super detail and yet no harshness to speak of - a pretty amazing feat by EarSonics' engineers if you ask me.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I assume there will be a pretty good improvement with either...
wink_face.gif

I have read much about the SM3 and know that it's an exceptional IEM, I'm interested in the comparison with the SE535 as they are easier to acquire and probably easier to deal with in the event of issues.

Also are those that have heard and love the SM3 (and the SE530) classical / acoustic / jazz music lovers as well?

shane

I am! 
biggrin.gif
In fact, most of my music collection is some form of instrumental music. I don't listen as much to synthetic stuff or vocals (I mostly listen to smooth jazz which has little vocal, not regular jazz). But vocals sound superb with through the SM3! Actually since getting the SM3, I find myself listening to music with vocals a lot more than before.

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 7
I also can only comment on the SM3. I listen to classical/accoustic/classic rock/folk/Celtic/New Age/Jazz some modern rock like Daughtry and even a smidge of country.

I think the SM3 sounds exceptional with Celtic, Jazz, classic rock bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Supertramp, Eagles, I also like them for AC/DC (but find they don't have quite the same bite as my MTPC).

The one thing I can say about the SM3 is that it's biggest trait or signature if you will is that it will place you in the midst of most of your music. I personally love this but some people have been put off by this and prefer a more traditional "the music is coming from in front of me approach".

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I also can only comment on the SM3. I listen to classical/accoustic/classic rock/folk/Celtic/New Age/Jazz some modern rock like Daughtry and even a smidge of country.

I think the SM3 sounds exceptional with Celtic, Jazz, classic rock bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Supertramp, Eagles, I also like them for AC/DC (but find they don't have quite the same bite as my MTPC).

The one thing I can say about the SM3 is that it's biggest trait or signature if you will is that it will place you in the midst of most of your music. I personally love this but some people have been put off by this and prefer a more traditional "the music is coming from in front of me approach".

"they don't have quite the same bite as my MTPC"
Well I consider that a very good thing.
wink_face.gif

Being in the middle of the music is just fine. I actually expect that from IEM's and understand full well the difference between them and full-size cans. It's a very good thing.

Still waiting for that SE535 comparison, though... 
biggrin.gif

shane

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 7
Just wanted to bump this to see if I can snare anyone else in this comparison.

Looking for those who have heard and A/B'd both the SE535 and SM3, since these are the two I'm interested in.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back