Earsonics ES3
Feb 15, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #167 of 324
I use Shute Olives

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #168 of 324
Hi all!

I would appreciate some help because I need IEMs to monitor electric drums (practice and gigs) and listen music while commuting to work. I also listen music quite often in the library. I was about to order sm64 (339€), but now im wondering whether the es3 (399€) would be better for my needs. From reading this thread I know that few of you guys have either owned or tested both sm64 and es3. Which one of these two IEMs would you recommend, or would you recommend something completely different. Im using Fiio X5 2nd generation when listening music and for monitoring I'm planning on taking sound directly from mixer (qsc touchmix 16) to Fischer amps body back and plugging headphones there. As far as my preferred signature goes, I really like properly amplified K702. I also think fidelio X2 are quite nice but the mids could be more forward. If this is not the right place to ask this kind of question I apologize :)

Thanks in advance.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #169 of 324
  Hi all!

I would appreciate some help because I need IEMs to monitor electric drums (practice and gigs) and listen music while commuting to work. I also listen music quite often in the library. I was about to order sm64 (339€), but now im wondering whether the es3 (399€) would be better for my needs. From reading this thread I know that few of you guys have either owned or tested both sm64 and es3. Which one of these two IEMs would you recommend, or would you recommend something completely different. Im using Fiio X5 2nd generation when listening music and for monitoring I'm planning on taking sound directly from mixer (qsc touchmix 16) to Fischer amps body back and plugging headphones there. As far as my preferred signature goes, I really like properly amplified K702. I also think fidelio X2 are quite nice but the mids could be more forward. If this is not the right place to ask this kind of question I apologize :)

Thanks in advance.

I think ES3 would be a better choice for you.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #170 of 324
  Hi all!

Thanks in advance.

ES3

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #172 of 324
So if I have understood correctly the sm64 are more U shaped than the es3? Meaning that the es3 are more balanced, but still deliver good amounts of bass?

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #173 of 324
After the owning the ES3 I think the SM64 sounds straight up veiled. I don't like the term, but I can't really describe it any better.
Treble extends better and is more airy, bass goes deeper, is more controlled and has more punch (which I think is important for drums).
Build quality is better and more sturdy.
You get more tips to choose from.
Etc.
Can't think of any reason why you should get the SM64 instead.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #174 of 324
  So if I have understood correctly the sm64 are more U shaped than the es3? Meaning that the es3 are more balanced, but still deliver good amounts of bass?

ES3 is very linear, except for the slight sub-bass boost. It is musical and has no treble harshness, however. SM64 sounds too romantic, too lush. It has a huge 5 kHz dip that makes everything sound very smooth. Is it a bad thing? No, it's still detailed and technical but it's also very lush and romantic sounding so it's not good for monitoring. ES3 is fun mixed with analytical so it's good for both listening pleasure and monitoring. 

It is worth noting that ES3 sounds closer to K702. SM64 is like HD650, even more laid and smoother sounding (maybe like Audioquest Nighthawk but I haven't heard that HP). ES3 is closer to AKG house sound. I would say ES3 is still smoother (but no less technical) compared to AKG house sound, however.

Earsonics Velvet is the best in Earsonics line for bassheads. It has so much bass in warm mode. Mids are thinner compared to ES3 and SM64. It is more expensive than ES3 though.

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #175 of 324
ES3 is very linear, except for the slight sub-bass boost. It is musical and has no treble harshness, however. SM64 sounds too romantic, too lush. It has a huge 5 kHz dip that makes everything sound very smooth. Is it a bad thing? No, it's still detailed and technical but it's also very lush and romantic sounding so it's not good for monitoring. ES3 is fun mixed with analytical so it's good for both listening pleasure and monitoring. 

It is worth noting that ES3 sounds closer to K702. SM64 is like HD650, even more laid and smoother sounding (maybe like Audioquest Nighthawk but I haven't heard that HP). ES3 is closer to AKG house sound. I would say ES3 is still smoother (but no less technical) compared to AKG house sound, however.

Earsonics Velvet is the best in Earsonics line for bassheads. It has so much bass in warm mode. Mids are thinner compared to ES3 and SM64. It is more expensive than ES3 though.

How about the es3 compared to akg in terms of timbre and tone? I find akg to be somewhat plastic sounding, or otherwise off in timbre.

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #176 of 324
How about the es3 compared to akg in terms of timbre and tone? I find akg to be somewhat plastic sounding, or otherwise off in timbre.

I don't like AKG house sound. I think ES3 sounds better than any AKG headphone I've heard; Q701, K702, K712 and some portables. ES3 is more natural in this regard. Classic, acoustic, well recorded music sounds superb. EDM sounds good but for EDM and pop, Velvet is better.

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #177 of 324

I don't like AKG house sound. I think ES3 sounds better than any AKG headphone I've heard; Q701, K702, K712 and some portables. ES3 is more natural in this regard. Classic, acoustic, well recorded music sounds superb. EDM sounds good but for EDM and pop, Velvet is better.

Only AKG headphone I like more than the ES3 is the 812. That thing is damn nice (and pricey).

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #178 of 324
  Only AKG headphone I like more than the ES3 is the 812. That thing is damn nice (and pricey).

I have not heard that, it must be really good considering the price. 
smile.gif
 Sennheiser HD800 S is amazing though. Like ES3, it is both analytical and fun. Obviously it is much better than ES3. A fairer comparison would be between S-EM9 and HD800 S. 
smile.gif
 Apples to oranges maybe, but you can still decide if you like apple or orange more.

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #179 of 324

Neutral (for the most part) yes - but it has extra sub-bass and lower treble presence, so in that vein I'd call it slightly coloured.  Natural I'd disagree.  The ES3 is measurably extremely flat through the mid-bass and mid-range, but it doesn't have the slight mid-bass gentle bump which is a sign of a more natural sounding signature.

I've also heard most of the AKG range (owned a few of them as well).  Personally I'd say the the ES3 sound quite a bit like the K701/K702/Q701, except they have more sub-bass and less mid-bass presence. And I'd personally say the AKGs sound more natural because of this.  If you were looking for something more toward the K812 sound, you'd either need an ES3 with more mid-bass and less sub-bass, or an ES2 with a little more bump in the lower treble.  personally I think you'd be safer to use the ES2 (more natural sounding), and tweak the lower treble to your liking.

Disclaimer : I have heard and spent time with (extensively) all of the above mentioned head/earphone.

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #180 of 324

Not sure how you are definitely going edm. Maybe vocal trance or dubstep is what you mean? Most electronic music, ime, responds best to headphones that are reasonably neutral. Lots of stuff going on in electronic music on top.

Thanks for your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back