Earsonics ES3
Aug 8, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #302 of 324
Nov 6, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #304 of 324
Hi all

FYI

I recently had to send my ES3 to France for repair of a broken pin. The total charge was about 60 euro including shipping back to me in Southern California

The total process took about 45 days including shipping to them, the repair, and return shipping to me.

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #305 of 324
Nice timing and price... They are very reactive and nice...

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #306 of 324
Nov 19, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #308 of 324
Hello Guys what's the best upgrade coming from SM64 v2 iem? I liked the luscious mids of SM64, non-fatiguing treble and ample bass so which Earsonic iem midfi-totl can you recommend?

hhmmm...i found the SM64 to be too analytical to my ears. the ES3 stays true to Earsonics trait - milky, awesome mids! I would still recommend the ES3 - specially if you're looking for a mid centric, 3BA IEM that won't break the bank!

But if you find yourself wanting analytical highs - look elsewhere. You'll find the ES3 a bit dry and timid (Highs wise)

Nov 19, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #309 of 324
Thanks! I'll try to demo them :) Is the bass stronger on es3 compared to sm64? and can I ask for a comparison with the highs as well?...

I'm actually eyeing for S-EM6 but I'm afraid that the highs might be sibilant or too much compared to SM64 v2.. also hoping that mids is still excellent or has a vast majority of improvement..

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #310 of 324
Thanks! I'll try to demo them :) Is the bass stronger on es3 compared to sm64? and can I ask for a comparison with the highs as well?...

I'm actually eyeing for S-EM6 but I'm afraid that the highs might be sibilant or too much compared to SM64 v2.. also hoping that mids is still excellent or has a vast majority of improvement..

It has been a while since I've heard the SM64 - but that was the only impression I had of it. I was coming out from an SM3 v2 and now the ES3. And I refuse to listen to higher tiered IEMs as I might get poisoned :astonished:

You can 'fix' sibilance by changing the tips anyway. Sorry I can't be of further help.

Nov 19, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #313 of 324

I didn't listen to the ES3 but from reviews, it seems that if you're looking for a warm and thick sound with good bass impact, ES3 will not be the right choice, so I suggest you to try before you buy.

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #314 of 324
I didn't listen to the ES3 but from reviews, it seems that if you're looking for a warm and thick sound with good bass impact, ES3 will not be the right choice, so I suggest you to try before you buy.

yes I'll definitely try it first because because I've already learned my lesson from doing blindbuys >.<.. anyways this is the kind of sound im looking.. as someone from this forum said on how he describe the sound of sm64v2.

- a neutralish signature with slight warmth.
- a natural wide soundstage with good separation.
- forgiving to source, with gentle treble for prolonged listening.
- clear, euphonic mids and just the right amount of bass.

I'm hoping that someone can confirm if S-EM6 has that same traits.

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #315 of 324
Offering an opinion (ES3 vs SM64) and looking for advice...

Opinion

First some background. The headphones with which i have extensive experience are the Hifiman RE01 and the Earsonics SM64. I also have heard the RHA 750 and T20 but neither are to my liking (too wooly and bassy). I have enjoyed the SM64 so much that it has been my only headphone for the last 4 years so I am intimately acquainted (and used to) its sound. By way of reference, I also listen a lot to my full size hifi which is a Wadia 16 DAC/CDP feeding a Modwright preamp, EAR 509 mono blocks and Quad Electrostatic speakers. I prize a natural, liquid, organic presentation which prioritises timbral accuracy, clarity, cohesiveness and balance in the music rather than focusing on the more hifi attributes such as sound staging (space, width or placement), detail or slam/PRaT/musicality.

My reason for being here is that my SM64s developed an intermittent fault in one channel and I don't wish to be without music while they are repaired. So I wanted to upgrade the sound and keep the SM64s in reserve once they are back from repair.

Contenders for the new IEMs included the ES3, S-EM6 V2 and In Ear SD models. I thought I'd give the ES3 a crack first as the forum talk suggested that they are an improvement on the SM64. Well, my opinion is that they are not. There are some things which they do better such as detail retrieval, spatial presentation and layering. They sound great with sparse and simple recordings but once things get going with any complexity in the music, they become busy and congested, the bass is bloated and overwhelming and that initial detail gets lost Voices are recessed in the mix, sounding thin and dry (raspy as one reviewer put it) and the sound is dull. The bass of the ES3 distracts me from the music rather than underpinning it (as it should do)

In comparison, the SM64 presents a smaller world view with less detail and insight into the mix. But what it does do - and oh my, does it do it well, is present a cohesive aural picture of the music which is liquid and has organic body and presence. When the music or the volume scales, the SM64 presentation scales with it. In contrast, the ES3 changed its character depending on what it was fed and the volume it was listened at. .

Despite talk of the ES house sound, I don't feel that the SM64s have it (if the ES3 represents what that house sound is). All i know is that the SM64 create a much more neutral and even handed presentation than the ES3. The fact that I have lived with the SM64 for so long suggests that they are close in presentation to my reference hifi rig (which is utterly coherent from top to bottom and cuts its music from the same sonic cloth).

So on to the request for advice.

My question is; where to next? Do I bother to try the S-EM6 V2 or do I jump ship to the In Ear SD series and if so, which model? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back