Earsonic’s SM3 vs. Customs
May 30, 2010 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DTme

New Head-Fier
My Shure 530’s are coming back from warranty replacement (cable issue) again. This is my 3rd replacement in as many years, thinking it is time to move on.   My preference is mid’s, love clear vocals but would also like a large soundstage.  The Earsonic’s SM3 seem to be ideal based on what I have read here in the forums.  Since the SM3’s are right at the price point of some customs should I go that route? I have been looking at the Sleek CT6 customs, Live Wire Trip’s, Alien Ears C3 and JH5Pro.  Would like to stay in this price range as far as other options.   Can anyone with the SM3’s and or any of these customs advise?   I will be pairing these with an Iphone 3GS or 1st gen. Ipod nano, Hi-end 2 ZYCable and an Arrow amp, which should be arriving in 4 weeks (new generation Arrow with improvements according to Robert).

May 30, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 19
According to the very few who tried them all on French forums, the SM3 + earmolds are better in every way than the EM2-ifi (themselves better than SM2 + earmolds), and inferior than the EM2-pro EXCEPT on soundstage / imaging / sense of space and air. That's all I know.

May 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 19

Are the SM3's my best option if I am going to get earmolds for universals? earmold recommendations in US?

May 30, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
EarSonics makes their own custom tips (earmolds) for SM3.

If I were in your shoes I would go for this route. Or just save a bit and go for the EM3-Pro's

May 30, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 19
I strongly prefer my EarSonics SM3 to Westone ES3X customs. I think SM3 sounds better in just about every way.

May 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 19
Thanks for the reply's, a few questions.  Do there earmolds come with a kit or do I have to see an audiologist locally and get impressions made?  Any idea what the turn around time on earmolds would be from Los Angeles and back? Also, what is the normal shipping time on the SM3's?

May 30, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's, a few questions.  Do there earmolds come with a kit or do I have to see an audiologist locally and get impressions made?  Any idea what the turn around time on earmolds would be from Los Angeles and back? Also, what is the normal shipping time on the SM3's?

2-10 days, depending on where you live.

May 30, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:

Quote:
2-10 days, depending on where you live.

Handheldaudio provides next day Fedex shipping for 25 quids. But they are out of stock now, presumably Earsonics recalled them to fix the shell problem.

May 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
Shipping fee? I live in Singapore how much would it cost me to ship it here?

You can contact handheldaudio whether they ship to Singapore or not. It seems that Singapore is not in the list right now, but Japan and Hong Kong is. US was not in there too, it's only after I emailed Mick that he decided to put it there. 12 quids for Airsure and 25 quids for Fedex next day. But this is sending to US, not sure about Singapore though. Uncle Wilson at Jaben doesn't have the SM3 yet?

You can also buy from Earsonics website if you want to.

May 31, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 19
Is Handheldaudio the best place to get SM3's?  Any other distributors besides direct?

May 31, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
You can contact handheldaudio whether they ship to Singapore or not. It seems that Singapore is not in the list right now, but Japan and Hong Kong is. US was not in there too, it's only after I emailed Mick that he decided to put it there. 12 quids for Airsure and 25 quids for Fedex next day. But this is sending to US, not sure about Singapore though. Uncle Wilson at Jaben doesn't have the SM3 yet?

You can also buy from Earsonics website if you want to.

No I don't think Jaben has decided to stock them yet. Thanks for your info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back