Earphones vs Earphones + DAP? Please help.
Feb 1, 2016 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Oromis

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I don't currently own a DAP, DAC or Amp.

So I have no idea about just how much of an improvement they might offer over maybe an iPhone 6 or my op2.

The real question is whether or not it would be better to get maybe a single earphone for a given price, say the IE8 ~450$ or an earphone + DAP like maybe IE6 ~ 250$ + fiio x3 I I ~ 200$

Eould be glad to hear your views, thanks!

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 6
Oh, that's a tough one.

I'm leaning towards the Earphone + DAP option, simply to break away from relying on your smartphone as soon as possible. Once you get used to carrying a DAP, a whole world of possibilities will open for you.

You will absolutely hear a difference going to the X3ii.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 6
I would recommend a DAP... But not the X3ii.

I prefer my iPhone over the X3ii. YMMV though.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Oh, that's a tough one.

I'm leaning towards the Earphone + DAP option, simply to break away from relying on your smartphone as soon as possible. Once you get used to carrying a DAP, a whole world of possibilities will open for you.

You will absolutely hear a difference going to the X3ii.

I guess, you're right. The habit needs to change. But would your opinion change when talking pure performanc?

I would recommend a DAP... But not the X3ii.

I prefer my iPhone over the X3ii. YMMV though.

Why is that so? And what would you recommend otherwise?

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 6
The X3ii is pretty good, and should be a nice upgrade over the iPhone (in sound at least). However, it's really around the $350 mark where you start to see some truly excellent players.

Check the Head-Fi Classifieds for any of the following:
FiiO X5 (Classic)
FiiO X5ii (2nd Gen)
Cayin N5
iBasso DX80
iBasso DX90
Shanling M3

Or just buy Shanling M2. I hear it's pretty damn good for the price.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 6
I guess, you're right. The habit needs to change. But would your opinion change when talking pure performanc?
Why is that so? And what would you recommend otherwise?

Reason I say that is the X3ii sounds unrefined to my ears. Instruments are too forward and sound brash. It definitely reminds me of the iPhone 4S... Not to say that the iPhone is a bad sounding player, but I would not pay another $300 for a player to sound the same as an iPhone (I would just use the iPhone) unless its for battery purposes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back