earphones for transcription of multiple speakers?
Mar 3, 2011 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

taffyfy

New Head-Fier
I transcribe audio recordings of court proceedings. I currently switch between the headphones provided by the office (too painful for my clamped ears after a while and doesn't block out surrounding sounds) and a pair of in-ear sennheisers meant more for listening to music (can't remember which model).

I'm looking for a pair of comfortable earphones which can help to give a clearer sound, especially when there are different people speaking at the same time. If it's of any significance, I listen on a PC and the audio can be split into four channels, with an option to listen in either stereo or mono.

ER6i, ER4P, Shure E3 (and also the Sony MDR V6) were recommended on another site, but when I went searching for them today, was told that the Shure and Sony are no longer available. I am still looking to find the Etymotics. A salesman suggested the SE315, SE310, CX280 and CX281. What do you think of them, or are there any other earphones you would recommend?

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 4
I've emailed Shure, Etymotic and Sennheiser's customer service for their opinions.
Here's Shure's reply:
In my opinion, the model SE315 is best for the spoken word. Strongly recommend custom-made ear molds for long term comfort when wearing for hours. Custom molds available from: www.sensaphonics.com

Mar 10, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 4
reply from jaben:

Based on the inquiries you have, I think the following in-ear models might fit your purpose:

1. Hippo Shroom-EB
  2. Sherwood SE-777
  3. Final Audio Design Heaven A
  4. Ortofon EQ5, EQ7
  5. Wesone UM1, UM3X

Since you're using to do transcribe, you may also consider getting an Digital to Analog Converter (DAC). It will by pass the computer soundcard and provide you with better quality sound.

Ordnance .25 for example, is an amplifier with DAC. Its sound signature drives out more clarity for the earphones.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 4
Hello taffyfy,

I also transcribe recordings with overlapping speech.

It would be great if you could let us know which solution you are using now and how satisfied you are with it.

Anyone with experience in the area, please join in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back